Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS Publication Subscription
- - By IowaCWI (*) Date 06-29-2014 00:46
Hello Gent's! Was just wondering if any of you have a AWS online publications subscription? If so, what kind of packages do they offer?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-29-2014 13:31
That depends upon what you mean by 'Publications'? 

Are you asking about materials available through the bookstore as the codes, handbook series, references, etc?

Or, are you asking about the monthly 'Welding Journal' and the quarterly 'Inspections Trends'?

The latter are free for members though you must be an inspector to get the Inspections Trends.  The former have hard copy and digital formats and are available under differing arrangements. 

Companies with one of the different corporate memberships have various access.  Educational institutions, individuals, etc.  You would probably need to look through the 'Bookstore' page of the website to find your options.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By IowaCWI (*) Date 06-29-2014 14:54
Brent, thank you for responding. I should have been more specific. I was thinking more along the lines of codes and reference material. The bookstore at one point in time said to contact AWS for details, just can't seem get time. I will give the website another look to see if they have posted more information recently.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-19-2014 06:24
Just wondering if you got what you needed?  Don't want you to think I just left you hanging.  I noticed different venues for getting digital copies.  Go to the bookstore and in the top right you will find one way. 

Parent - - By IowaCWI (*) Date 07-19-2014 16:59
Good afternoon gentlemen! I have found what I was looking for. I recieved the AWS publication catalog in the mail recently and they have some good deals on multiple books in the same series on top of member discount. I was looking for the most cost effective way to start building a library of information and that seems the way to go.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-19-2014 17:02
I definitely prefer hard copies all the time and especially for building a 'library'.  If I am researching or sharing then hard copies are best in my lowly opinion.

Parent - By IowaCWI (*) Date 07-19-2014 17:43
I agree Brent. I purchased the digital copy of college metallurgy book some time ago and I would rather have the hard copy. Flipping back and forth between pages, even with the ability to set tabs, is just more of a hassle it seems.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-19-2014 20:10
My apologies gentlemen.  I came into this thread a little late, and I failed to notice that Bent had posted most of what I stated about the document acquisition options.

The only point worth adding is that the PDF license allows for at least one printout copy (I think).  This might not serve those who do not have access to a low cost printing device, but it might save on shipping costs.  I did not compare the prices to see what the difference is between a PDF and a traditional hard copy, so I can not offer the best advice.  Maybe it would be nice to offer pricing for both options?  I also realize that the need to ensure copyright protections remains a key concern.

I have experienced the benefits of both options, so I remain a little torn regarding my own personal preference.  I like the keyword search capability that is available in electronic copies.  This offers me a great speed up when reviewing hundreds of documents under pressure.  And, a hard copy does not offer any electronic viewing option for those folks who travel or work at a desk.  PDF copies also enable sections of the code to be extracted, and then copy/pasted into communications between the customer and cognizant engineering and inspection players. 

But, in the field, a good old school human memory goes a long way.  But, how much can one pack in carry-on luggage these days?  But, I digress...

Sorry, I'm not trying to stir up any trouble.  Have a great day of rest tomorrow.
Parent - By IowaCWI (*) Date 07-19-2014 21:17
You have some good points. I may have to reconsider my view point on digital copies. If allowed, I could always print, punch and bind a hard copy and then I would have both. And as you stated, the word search function would save considerable time.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-19-2014 11:40 Edited 07-19-2014 12:04
If I am not mistaken, the bookstore tab at this website should be able to help you out with purchases of electronic copies for many of the AWS codes and standards.  You might need a current copy of Adobe to read them. I think each electronic copy may only be stored at one file location on one device and used by one user at a time (unless someone looks over your shoulder). 

AWS recently began offering the Journals by email and in some of the common eReader formats; however, the welding codes might be a little more difficult to use in the field on electronic devices - a tablet device might be your best option - but, then, what about charging it?

You might also want to check into some of the large online document distributors like IHS Global (and others?); but, this option might only be cost effective for larger businesses that use many documents.

http://pubs.aws.org/t/Publications
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS Publication Subscription