Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Section I
- - By bcarter Date 06-30-2014 21:23
What is the allowable depth/length of undercut per ASME Sec. I ? I'm laid up from surgery and do not have access to my codes. I received a call asking and I do not want to give false info.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2014 11:53
There essentially is no criteria for that in Section I.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-01-2014 14:03
From a Non Current copy of ASME Sec I para PW-35

".... Undercuts shall not exceed 1/32 in. (0.8 mm)
or 10% of the wall thickness, whichever is less, and shall
not encroach on the required section thickness. .... "

Hope this helps. I would suggest getting a current copy of the code.

Have a good day.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2014 14:22
I stand corrected.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-01-2014 17:00
I think Sec VIII doesn't address undercut directly nor does ASME Sec IX for qualification.

Gerald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2014 17:50
Section I is an oddball. VT is not referenced, and yet there, as your quote indicated, is a statement about undercut.
You will certainly get it fully required in B31.1 for BEP, but not the boiler proper.
And, as you mentioned in Section VIII it is not referenced either, except in relation to radiography.

So, the question can be asked, who is going to examine for undercut, and do they need, say, TC-1A, qualifications?
The answer has to be not according to Section I.

As is often remarked in here, in a half humorous manner, pertaining to WPS's and who can write them, say the janitor. Explicitly in Section I, apparently this janitor can examine welds for undercut as well.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-01-2014 18:53
And I wonder statistically, are there any more failures in say things welded IAW section I as opposed to D1.1 ? 

Some of the stuff we do is just not that critical and some of it is. Thats where the specification writers, engineers, and all the other "smart people" get to do their thing. I have cut out more than 1 waterwall tube that was jammed together with no penetration to the root that had been in service since the boiler was erected.

I wonder if often times the code committees are just there because we think each individual "industry" needs em and thats a good reason to get together for some meeting.

You know, if its round, gets hot, holds pressure, does the welding need to be any different ?

Codes have always stunk as quality control systems.

Have a good one.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2014 19:10
A primary philosophy of ASME Section I (especially for boiler proper) is the years and years of successful experience the boiler manufacturers have had. They are extremely reluctant to make changes to time tested methods. And especially with boiler components inside the skin.
They clearly get more stringent outside the skin with B31.1 requirements.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-01-2014 21:11
Yup. It has worked for years. Though it often conflicts with our internal perception of whats "Good and Bad" it works. Its a great code to work under as an inspector or a welder. I love the reinforcement allowance, works well with my gorilla welds!

Have a good one

Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-02-2014 11:46
I guess the bottom line is that even ugly welds can be "good enough."

Maybe that is why codes don't define "ugly.":wink:

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-02-2014 12:39
And the main reason I have been able to sneak by for 30 years.  Just like Mama told my girlfriends "He may not be much to look at but he's got personality!" And boy have I made some welds with personality !
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-02-2014 12:53
That and beer is how many of us snagged our women!

Al
Parent - By bcarter Date 07-04-2014 19:38
Thanks. Today I went into work and loaded 2013 edition of Sec. I on a USB drive.
PW-35 is still the same. Thanks again!
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Section I