Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1-201O-Table 4.2(CJP ) -PQR Qualification Requirement
- - By Nalla (***) Date 07-01-2014 22:41
Dear Experts

PQR Qualified in 3G Position using FCAW Process
Pls confirm if my understanding is correct -Hardness Test and Macro-etch examination not required

My client insist to be done

Thanks in advance
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-02-2014 05:40
If your client insists then I more or less can safely say it will be done. The code acts as a minimum and contract specific requirements along with Engineering specs will always supersede standards as long as they do not require lowering below standard requirements.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-02-2014 06:23
Customer is always right even if the code does not require it.  If he is an engineer refer to part that says they can add to, delete from, or modify in any way that meets their job requirements the way they want.  If they are not an engineer, they are still the customer and can get it the way they want it for the most part.

Like Glyn said, the code is a minimum standard, anything beyond is just icing on the cake.  Satisfies their curiosity and can't hurt anything. 

As to what the code actually requires...not sure, in the process of closing down for the night and starting my two hour drive home.  Maybe about noon tomorrow I'll have enough active brain cells to look it up and answer that one.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 07-02-2014 08:25
"My client insist to be done"

Questions : Is it as per agreement or contract specification?

If YES, then it is your fault of not knowing the contract agreement.

If NO, raise a variation order and get approval before carrying out the testing.

Some obliging contractors will do the extra test to keep your mouth shut. I have experienced that in Japan when I was a novice Inspector, the contractor will not argue to the additional test because they want you to release their product without delay. However, once the job is completed and the items are dlivered. They will send the bill to your Boss for the cost of test you requested. Although the amount is not substantial but they will do it to teach you a lesson. Definetely, your Boss will not be happy to know that you "overkill" the job grin::grin::lol::lol::yell:

~Joey~
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-02-2014 12:59
If your client has indicated it is required, it would normally be addressed in a project specification or other referencing document. I would closely review you project specifications for what is and is not required before addressing the issue.

Submitting an RFI (Request for Information) formally may be a way to get more information. If those tests are required, what is the acceptance criteria.

Note that for Prequalified SAW welds with alternate preheat and interpass temps, Hardness and macros are required. Maybe there is a misunderstanding on the clients part.

I would spend much energy verifying the scope of the original contract and the details of your responsibilities before falling back on a "The code says .......!" kind of response.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-02-2014 13:47
When you say the "client insists ..." is it the Owner, Engineer, or the third party inspector making the demands?

If the work is in accordance with AWS D1.X the Owner, through the Engineer, can add to the basic requirements of the code. The TPI has no such authority.

Additional requirements, not included in the project specifications, can justify passing the cost of performing the additional testing on to the Owner.

Any requirements imposed by the TPI should be confirmed by the Engineer. As mentioned, an RFI can clarify the requirements and provide documentation for later use.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 07-03-2014 09:10
Dear Experts

Contract require compliance with AWS D1.1 requirements.

This client rep used to work for Classification Society.
Normally CS Rules require both ( BV,DNV, ABS...etc )

I just want to confirm if reqd or not as per Table 4.2.

Thanks for all  the advise.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-03-2014 14:30
The only tests mandate by AWS D1.1 are those listed in the table. Anything in addition is per the Owner's request and he should be willing to pay for the additional tests.

If it is the TPI asking for the additional tests, ask for his mailing address so you can send the invoice to his employer for the additional tests. That should be sufficient to get his attention. Ask for a purchase order number you can charge the expenses to. No P.O., no additional tests.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-03-2014 14:47
I love this response.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-03-2014 15:34
Yes, I am always amazed as info is drawn out of posters and Al is always such a good source of info and he cuts quickly to the quick!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-03-2014 16:43
I always willing to do any additional tests the Owner or TPI requests, as long as they are willing to pay the freight.

Have a happy Forth of July everyone.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 07-04-2014 08:46
I wish I'd known that 20yrs ago:cry:lol:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1-201O-Table 4.2(CJP ) -PQR Qualification Requirement