Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / teaching
- - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-05-2014 17:36
ok, here are questions
I have an 8 yo grandchild that loves the work I do
I know start with shop safety, and bang it into their head
I think next for the young kid is learning lay out and print reading? then fitting? and start on woodworking?
then go to metal, due to warping, and other things that take time to learn?
am I starting this out right?
thanks for any help:smile:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-05-2014 17:48
Thats sounds like a mighty good plan! Lay out and print reading is a skill in its self, one that I sadly found lacking in the US. Many good trades persons were unable to accurately read a drawing which I found strange. To build something, you first need to read the instructions so to speak!
Fitting would be a good next step! T's, branches, development etc.
Parent - By Plasma56 (**) Date 07-07-2014 05:22
Hi Kent,
If I was 8 years old I would think your pretty cool and what you did really cool. Not knowing the grand child, I would go out on a limb saying just working aloneside and being allowed to help grandpa will be enough. I have a 12 year old grand daughter. She needed some help in seeing my glass beader as anything of value untill I showed her to mask, template, cut and etch glass.

Your example and explaination will be the best offering at 8 years old but with different learning styles, comes some challenges.
Some learn by being shown, some learn by hearing how, some by attempting on their own and some by some combination of the previous three. Broadly speaking.

8 years old. When my grand daughter was 8 I bought her a PW50. Found a small helmet, left around from the kid days, took her to the school yard and with some rudimentry instruction let her rip. Well she didn't kill herself. She needed reminding she it wasn't Nascar. The hump of the pitcher mound she discovered on her own.

You don't have to build a bird house to enjoy hammering nails? But doing it with safety glasses and ear plugs is good. You don't have to fix a broken VCR to have fun taking it apart to see where the bread goes? But if you let them put on a face shield over the safety glasses with hearing protection and say I wonder what happens if you hit it with a bigger hammer after you take it apart, you both won't have learned much but then again you'll be one cool grampy.

Teach them patience, that practice doesn't have to be perfect, teach them perserverence, and yes teach them about safety.
2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 lungs, 10 fingers, 10 toes, if your not carefull they won't be either, make them think a bit for themselves.

But remember, just because you tell them it's hot doesn't mean they won't reach out and see for themselves, so show them how to find some common sense and the bandages.
Remember discovery is a type of learning. Don't be hung up on perfect.
Oh yea... and to read a tape measure or ruler. Priceless.
The hard part is not being accepting of their learning efforts. My grand daughter has a difficult time when put on the spot, but usually solves most problems she's faced with, some times rather uniquely.

I hope thats of some help?
Warm Regards,

Noel
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-07-2014 20:47
He likes what you do for 2 reasons

1   You are doing it

2   Sparks and fire

Find a safe and controlled way to get his hands on stuff...  Put on the PPE and hold his hands for some cuts and welds... Stuff like that...

Sure the wood, and prints and stuff are a part...  But the fun is the sparks and the fire and the time with you....  Don't ever forget that.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / teaching