Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Sec. VIII, Div. 2 - Unfinished Tank
- - By aeisfelder Date 07-08-2014 22:28
Ok people, I need your A game.....Here is the situation....

Company A has a U2 stamp and was in the process of building a Div. 2 vessel (very large 150,000 gal).  Company A fabricated the vessel in three parts and shipped the parts to the job site to be field assembled.  In the process of the final seam being welded Company A goes out of business and cannot finish the project. If Company A does not provide partial data reports and all the NDE testing data for all the work accomplished to date, how does Company B (who also possesses a div 2 U stamp) go about picking up the job to complete the assembly and get the tank into service?  I am looking for specific testing, processes, and steps that need to be done and possibly re-done to make this happen.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-09-2014 12:03
If the parts are stamped and the Data Reports have been registered (obtainable from the NB) you may be able to contact the AIA and move forward. Without the Data Reports I do not see how you can.
Parent - - By aeisfelder Date 07-09-2014 16:59
so that's it....no code hoops to jump through...?

full RT of all welds, PMI, cut out all existing welds and re weld, PAUT, anything?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-09-2014 19:42
If the parts are stamped and the Data Reports have been filled out correctly you should have all you need. But Robert is right. Contact your AIA.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-09-2014 18:55
Rather than ask for opinions on a forum contact your AIA immediately for guidance.

QCRobert
Parent - - By aeisfelder Date 07-09-2014 20:26
If I needed an opinion I would have said "...Hey, give me your opinion..."  What I am looking for is people who may know the code a bit better than I and could shed some light on this type of situation.  We know what stated in the code, but as you may know they code also then will allow for different ways of doing things. I have contacted our AIA and they are looking for answers too. This is somewhat uncharted territory for the people we deal with on a regular basis, from what I have found out.  Thanks for your keen insight QCRobert!!  And sorry guys...If we had all the partials and stampings then what would have been the point in posting a question in a forum.  I've always been taught to use any and all resources available now i know there is one less resource to worry about.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-09-2014 20:56
Sorry if you took my response as a negative.

If Company A fabricated the parts in a shop and then shipped to site they would have had inspection and documentation by their AI before shipping to site.  I meant that your AI would be best resource for obtaining records of partial fabrication.

I was involved in a similar situation as yours in 1992 at a paper mill that received nine batch digesters.  Because of space limitations each batch digester ("U" stamped pressure vessel) was shipped as a dome, six 10' tall cylinder courses, & a cone.  In the process of welding the parts together it was discovered thru RT at the junction of longitudinal & circumferential seams that the inner stainless steel cladding had not been "peeled" back sufficently during shop fabrication resulting in dilution of stainless into the carbon steel body.  The original fabrication company went out of business.

The (paper mill) Owner's AI and erection company's AI was able to retrieve records of that company and thus continue.  However all original longitudinal weld seams were required to be 100% RT and 90% were unacceptable resulting in full cut outs.

Bottom line is depending upon jurisdiction, service, original NDE reqs, etc it is up to the AIA to determine disposition of U2 vessel.

Hope this helps, and you continue to use and contribute your knowledge & experience here.
QCRobert
Parent - By aeisfelder Date 07-11-2014 14:55
Robert....thank you....that was helpful.  Sorry to get a bit cross, most people want to be captain obvious smart alecks, and I'm looking for people who actually know the code and want to contribute more than the standard step one answers. I shouldn't have assumed you were that guy. 

You have hit a few of our issues on the head. Company A was not made to partially stamp anything by their AI, and they are holding ALL the paperwork hostage.  I have been able to acquire the MTR's for the shell sections from the steel mfg stampings and ht numbers. Should also be able to get the Head U2's from the head mfg....but that's about it.  We were trying to avoid having to cut out all the previously welded seams, but I don't think we can pull that off. Witch is a shame cause the vessel is about 90% completed.  Thanks for your input.  If you can think of any other avenues to explore I'm all ears!!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-10-2014 12:48
aeisfelder,
Hey pinhead. Its a rather odd approach to get aggressive with those trying to help you. But let me make this clear for you. EVERYTHING outside of an official interpretation is an opinion. Even the opinions of committee members AND the AI. If you knew the Code as you have expressed you would have known that, and perhaps vented your frustration with a swift kick to your cocker spaniel.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-10-2014 13:01
OK, against my better judgment I'll say this, the key is in the traceability of the materials. If you have it you may have a chance. If not. No.
And a PMI won't do.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-11-2014 14:50
Lets be gentle gentlemen! It's easy to misinterpret things in the written word over the internet, I know, 'cause I'm an expert in it! It is only a question, no one is gunna set a team of lawyers on anyones case yet!
If the OP needs a short response, I am sure he will be shown the front door quick enough!
Parent - - By aeisfelder Date 07-11-2014 15:08
JS....as for your pinhead comment...shove it up your ass:evil:

Now....on your materials traceability comment...that's where we have started....we have been able to get the MTR's from the steel manufacture information that was stamped on the shell sections.  The heads were made by a large head mfg and we have reached out to them to see if they have the U2's for the heads.  As you know the welds are going to be our biggest hurdle. Without the partials or the documentation to prove the welds we're pretty much screwed, and we knew that.   Thanks for your time.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-11-2014 16:05
Hey come on back anytime. I'm sure all who may have an inclination to help you look forward to your rude impatience with breathless anticipation. :grin:
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-12-2014 17:28 Edited 07-12-2014 17:42
Now if you would have explained your situation from the beginning and not wait until after someone responded to your query, you would have most likely received the answer you were looking for... But since you decided to be arrogant and very rude to my friend Robert, it is no wonder you got another response that got under your skin which should be a whole lot thicker than for you to respond again like you have...  I just don't get it... You come here for some help and then you cop an attitude because someone gave you a short answer yet nonetheless the correct one without knowing more details regarding your situation... And JS was pretty accurate in calling you what he did because of your unacceptable behavior to Robert! So if I were you which I'm glad I'm not, I would accept all of the replies you got and apologize for the bad behavior, then come back if you want to with a much better attitude and who knows, you might change and end up being a regular here!

Please understand this... We want to try to help but, without having a nasty attitude thrown back at us when we do CAPECHE?
"You catch more flies with honey blah, blah, blah..." RESPECT IS EARNED SO EARN IT! Well now that I said my 2 scheckels worth...

"WELDCOME" TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM of THE AWS!
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Sec. VIII, Div. 2 - Unfinished Tank