Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Angola anyone?
- - By Superflux (****) Date 07-12-2014 06:29 Edited 07-12-2014 08:27
I finished up my API 650 tank build and pipeline rehab gigs for the Caspian Sea Region and am no longer employed.
I figured the best place to research future employment is from a Phuket Holiday Inn and the beach in Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand.
I happened to get this
So, I have been given the following details:

1 - Fabrication Inspector – Soyo, Angola
Outline job spec as follows:-
·        Client-Houston based engineering Consultancy)
·         Geographical location – Soyo, Angola
·         Work location – Fabrication yard
·         Job profile – Fabrication Inspector
·         Requited certification – CSWIP or CWI welding inspector, NDT (Rad), yellow fever vaccination (can be done after approval)
·         Other desired qualities – experience of working in Angola, experience of subsea structures, client rep experience also beneficial
·         Start date – immediate pending approval and issue of STV
·         Duration – 1yr
·         Rotation – 28/28

Yah I got all that, just curious about Angola in particular.

I LOVE the 28/28 rotation, as that was my tentative schedule on this last assignment (ended up working about 40% more though).

Anyhooo, I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this country and could pass on some advice (or questions to submit to my dispatcher) prior to my counter offer for wages, off site accommodations, etc.
I have heard that Nigeria is a whole nuther ball game and am not interested in going to Lagos.

I have found the following info:
...this is an endemic area for the most lethal type of malaria (plasmodium falsiparum)...
...you need a yellow fever shot to get into the country...

Geez, other than that... How bad could life and work in Equatorial Africa on the Congo River be?

Headed to here after lunch... "here kitty, kitty, kitty..."  MEE-YOW!!!
http://www.tigerkingdom.com/Phuket.html
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-12-2014 18:52 Edited 07-12-2014 18:56
The latest report from our company's representative, Mr. Kurtz, indicated there was nothing at all to be concerned about regarding Equatorial African Congo River Employment.

In full disclosure however we are obliged to inform you it has been a long time since his last report and we are considering dispatching an envoy to investigate.

Regarding Angola, it is the company's policy to caution employees to be careful of the girls they kiss there.

There have been no new reports of Tiger attacks for a period of two months.  Our Insurance Underwriter is reviewing coverage.

Lt. Col. Gunnaneedmore
Expedition Leader
Northern Regions
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 07-13-2014 12:40
The horror!
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 07-14-2014 23:08
Well, at first I thought you meant the infamous Angola prison south of Baton Rouge but I am relieved to read further and realize you only mean the Congolese rebel war zone.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 07-15-2014 00:55
Mistah Kurtz -- he dead!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 07-15-2014 04:06
Stringer,
Ohhhh...
Yeah the other Angola.
That one would be simple. Cyanide and a suicide note.
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 07-24-2014 15:22
Superflux and other AWS,
   Was a posting on Africa job with a thousand loss scam. My reply was if you got there you would not have worried about a thousand with gun in face. June I was in Moscow. Qualified for job. Me I would check it out and think about it. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely
Len Andersen   weld@speamil.org
914-536-7101 / 914-237-7689 (H) / 800-428-4801 USA
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1240 per year Caller
Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post
Office USA )

www.lenandersen.com

PS -
http://lenandersen.com/personal_info/resume.html
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-25-2014 02:44
I think a friend of mine has just flown out to this very same job as a QC inspector! I also have a college who works as a rigger out there on a regular basis, he has had no major problems other than the odd 'Tip' here and there!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-26-2014 20:46
I told the recruiter that I would not surrender my passport, so I got "passed over".
First it was a 6 month gig in Italy, then that mysteriously slid into the shadows and the Angola gig comes on to light...

I'm just enjoying being home and the Wyoming summer. Which is why I moved to this place. Summers are "F"ing awesome here. Kicked back for a while and gonna get some fishing in.
Hope your friend likes the job.
I was talking to some Fluor hands in Frankfurt the other day who are working in Ghana, and am satisfied with my decision to turn it down.
I've managed to avoid malaria for the past 59 years, and kinda not wanting to try it out just yet.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-07-2014 14:02
You can't find any work at home? I heard it was picking up.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-07-2014 17:11
Possibly yes there is something regionally but I would still have to travel (as in not being able to daily commute). NoDak is not really on my list of preferences.
So, since as long as I'm travelling, might as well make it completely different and see another spot on the planet.
Got my irons in the fire for S. Africa, Australia, China, etc...
The expat thing becomes an addiction just like welding. Sometimes you run into friends overseas in airports or on the job.

PM me if you have any leads.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Angola anyone?