Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless Steel T-Joint GTAW General Question.
- - By Fit4aking (*) Date 07-15-2014 15:43
Good Morning!

This past Saturday I auditioned for an opening at a fabrication shop, my first ever.  It was quite an experience.

The owner of the company had me replace a spool on his Miller MIG and set up the machine for 3/16" hot rolled steel.  I did well on the Lap Joint, T-Joint, and Outside Corner flat on the bench.  I bobbled a bit on the Outside Corner vertical up but adjusted my technique and got through it.  He didn't have me do any MIG pipe.

The TIG test caught me completely off guard.  He had me do a flat lap joint on 3/16" steel with the machine preset and in front of a large fan.  (36amps, between 10-15cfm 100% Argon, 1/16" ER70S fill rod, very little tungsten stick out.)  It took a while to heat up but I was able to get down a shallow bead as I pushed the coupons close to a cardboard box to contain the gas shielding.  Then he asked me to "show off" on the other side of the coupon.  I cranked up the amperage to 105, set the gas flow to 20, and put down my best weave pattern.  (I moved my body to help with the breeze as well as tucked some scraps around the welding area.) 

That wasn't the strangest request.

The next part of the test was on 1" stainless steel fresh out of the scrap bin.  He asked me to make a T-joint using 3-4" sections.  Since it is a fab shop I asked where the notching tools were or if I should use a grinder, band saw, or figure it out on my own.  I was stunned when he said they don't notch tubing!!  When I asked for clarification he said that I should be able to add rod and get a stack-of-dimes look without notching the tube.  He reset the machine to it's previous settings and explained that they run very low Argon flow to conserve resources.  Then he went on to say that the stainless welds have to be uniform and visually appealing since they often are used on boat railings, stair rails, and furniture.

I gave it my best shot.  I truly did.  I just couldn't come up with a way to fill in the large gap in a single pass while laying down a uniform bead.

In this instance should I have contested the fact that notched tubing is much stronger?  I figured that he wanted it a certain way and it was up to me to either do it or get out of the way.  That was the end of the audition, he had me pack up after two attempts and offered me $15 per hour to come in and learn how to fabricate.  Don't think I'm going to take that offer.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom when you run across a situation like this?  What are welders supposed to do when they are asked to do something a certain way even if it doesn't seem correct?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-15-2014 15:51
Do they have a welding procedure for all these different processes and materials? Or do they just have the owner come out and set all of the machines before any work can take place?
Parent - By Fit4aking (*) Date 07-15-2014 16:15
As far as I could tell the owner comes out and sets up the machines initially but once you are hired you are on your own.  That's fine with me but I don't want to be the guy asking for Argon refills more often than the other people.  I got the impression that he measured his consumables carefully, rightfully so, and work efficiency (getting by with less) was a priority.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-15-2014 15:58
If you want the job do it.

Lot's of cheap jerks out there... Sometimes it's better to work for them than walking away unemployed...  Everybody makes these choices from time to time...

You smell better when you have a job...  Many times back in the day, I worked in sweatshops between good jobs because I don't like the notion of collecting unemployment (personal choice).   So I would take the grubby job and learn and at the same time look for greener pastures and feed my family without the dole.  (pretty every fabrication trick I know was learned in cheap-Axx sweat shops)

One thing to try... When you are asked to do things you think are poor or impossible in an interview, is to ask to have a look at an example of a finished product....  If the fitup seemed insane (and it did) maybe he was testing you in a different way.   A look at how the other guys on the shop floor do it can make all the difference...

Contesting production methods during an interview/test is risky business... Unless you are asked for your opinion...   It may be wise to do exactly as instructed and at the end, mention that you have some great ideas based on your experience doing similar work and you are excited about the opportunity to help them improve quality as you break into their procedures and learn from each other.

Gotta make it up-beat and never argumentative........  Having said that... Many welders will simply say what's on their mind and then walk.... We welders pride ourselves at being "Straight Shooters"  in my opinion way more than we ought to.
Parent - - By Fit4aking (*) Date 07-15-2014 16:21
I understand what you're saying.  I currently have a job but want to make a career move so I have some opportunity to be picky and not have to eat Ramen noodles.

I grew up on the water and have had to hold tight to the railing of a boat in 25 knot winds.  I never had one break and I'm thankful for that.  If I were the guy making the railing, knowing what it's like to be pinned between one and a jib sail, I would pray that it is done correctly and by some type of standard.  Maybe I'm too much of a form follows function guy.

I'll try to ask more questions at the next interview and see if examples are available.  It isn't enough to have work experience you need to have interview experience to transition from job to job as needed and I need to develop that as well.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-15-2014 16:24
You are a smart guy, and will land on your feet :)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-15-2014 20:59

>You are a smart guy, and will land on your feet :)

I agree with Lar
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 07-15-2014 23:13
Sounds like a guy ( the owner) is" penny wise and dollar foolish" ........Worried about argon consumption , and has fans blowing and NO NOTCHER !!!!!!!!! Hey dic* wad  ......Welcome to modern times.....What century you livin' in??????:yell:
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-16-2014 16:12
Maybe this joint configuration is perfectly acceptable for the application.
Parent - By Fit4aking (*) Date 07-17-2014 18:19
From what I've been able to find regarding tubing fitment the gap between the materials shouldn't be more than 10% of the tubing thickness.  From what I've seen that can range from 0.035" to 0.120", regardless a joint without coping would exceed that by a long shot.

I can't afford to work for $15/hr either way.  Just not gonna happen in my area.
- - By Paladin (***) Date 07-16-2014 01:15
Maybe he was setting up Fit4aking to fail to beat him down a bit.
Then he offered the $15/hr. If the owner is a miser with argon he is probably not too generous with the pay either.

It would be interesting to talk to the hands that work there and see what the real deal is.
Floyd
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 07-17-2014 02:53
Sounds like he just needed somebody knowledgeable to come in, change his wire, set up his machine and test it all for free.:lol:
Parent - By Fit4aking (*) Date 07-17-2014 18:22
That's one way to look at it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless Steel T-Joint GTAW General Question.