Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pictures of things I've been working on
- - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 07-30-2014 01:29 Edited 07-30-2014 01:42
Ahhh Nice clean stainless... I don't have to do any post weld clean up, we have a minion running a Surfox unit to handle that :twisted::grin::evil:
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 07-30-2014 10:29
Good cleaning job Plasma.  How long does it take to clean a foot of weld?
Tyrone
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 07-30-2014 23:05
I do this kind of work also, Plasma, and I find the real work to be all the clamping. You can't clamp this stuff enough and then it's all in your way for welding. Looks like you got it.
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 08-01-2014 00:16
Nothing like putting your arm down on the  hot spot and slamming your ribs into the clamp in the way as you try and escape the heat... :cry:
Do you ever have to pre-bow parts like this? The first one I did went a little haywire after unclamping and I found I had to stick a .25 thick 1"x1" square in the middle of the plate and pull the edges down a bit...
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 08-01-2014 00:04
a min or 2? I barely use the thing, that's what the low paid summer help is for :lol::lol::lol::twisted:
It's a much nicer way of cleaning stainless welds, No flying wires or abrasive dust, nice and quiet, and it leaves everything real shiny.
Only down side is the bit of a mess it makes, and the pads to run it are about $10 A pop and they tear pretty easy on sharp edges...
Parent - - By Jimmy_pop Date 07-31-2014 12:32 Edited 07-31-2014 13:26
Looks great. Does the part stay flat after being unclamped? Love your table. I had one like it. I miss working on the cast iron. I'll get another one someday.
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 08-01-2014 00:12
It stays within about 1/32 along the edge that matters which is parallel to the long L pieces. they sit "flat" but I'm pretty sure its because the corners curl down and keep it from rocking because I can see the bow across it compared to the table. I'm allowed a 1/16 on the edge that matters and about an 1/8th every where else.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-01-2014 11:03
That's pretty good keeping it flat.  How flat is the open end without the stiffener?
Tyrone
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 08-02-2014 15:55
Yes, Plasma, I pre-bow stuff all the time - especially square tube frame stuff. Sometimes I feel like I'm building a crossbow. It's an art and a much better art than trying to pull it straight afterward.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pictures of things I've been working on