Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Connector?
- - By Josephp (**) Date 08-02-2014 20:49 Edited 08-03-2014 10:04

Would anyone know which connector{the machine end, sketch below] is used on a Miller ICE-80TM plasma torch?

As it appears Miller does not sell just a replacement connector they sell the entire cable assembly torch lead.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Joseph
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 08-03-2014 22:04
You can check Miller4Less, but I think they probably do the same as Miller on the machine end (sell only with the cable).
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-04-2014 06:50
I found this one 25 ft. complete machine torch with cable & connector for $910.00 USD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390886061566?item=390886061566

I know you wrote that you only needed the connector in the picture but, I don't think you're going to find one without the rest attached unless you can ask around all of the welding supply stores in your region, or the possibility that maybe, just maybe one of the equipment repair centers that are Miller authorized or not - may have one laying around to be cannibalized which is what will be necessary because the connector isn't sold by Miller or any of the after market "mfgers"... Don't ask me why because I don't know why! They just sell them torches in that manner...

I know how to repair them and remove the part from an old torch( Remember that you can extract that part from any of the Miller machine torches that have the same connector and you don't have to worry about whether or not one of those parts from a lesser numbered machine torch will burn out with the higher current output of you power source because only the torches themselves are limited.) because I used to repair all of the Miller equipment many moons ago around the time everyone was updating their power source designs with more micro-processing controls and inverters were just being introduced...

I used to love going to Appleton,WI every year for a week or two to get updated on their equipment to perform warranty repairs on all of their welders and at that time, French made torch - Plasma cutters of the spectrum line... Those were fun days indeed! Good luck with your search.:smile::twisted::yell::grin::yell::lol::roll::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Josephp (**) Date 08-04-2014 13:46
Henry,

Would you recall which French company manufactured the "Plasma cutters of the spectrum line"?

Thank You

Joseph
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-06-2014 01:05 Edited 08-06-2014 01:19
They may have been made by Orelikon but I'm not 100% sure because it was so long ago in the beginning 80's when they first came out...

Here's a link to a torch made by Orelikon called the "CitoTorch P 45" which looks very close to what Miller used with their 1st plasma cutting units back in the eighties and the reason for this was because they were desperate not to lose market share in the segment of fabricating equipment yet, they weren't quite ready to manufacture their own torches so the opted for a very reliable model such as the one shown in the .pdf below... When the .pdf opens, scroll down to page 7 of 12 and you'll see what it looked like and you'll also notice the wire wrapped around the head of the torch (Making it easier to maintain proper stand-off distance from the material by dragging the torch with it making contact with the surface of the material to be cut) which was the exact same design that was used on the torches used by Miller with their 1st plasma cutters.

Here's the link:

http://www.airliquidewelding.se/file/otherelement/pj/plasma48920.pdf

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 08-06-2014 12:57 Edited 08-06-2014 13:03
Jim Colt, of HyperTherm, informed me that they stopped making Miller plasma guns 3 or 4 years ago, and Miller now uses another source, but apparently, the same connector. (I have no connection to HyperTherm, just pm'd him).

If you can find a damaged cable from an earlier HyperTherm, or Miller, might solve your problem.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 08-04-2014 12:15
I think I recall that HyperTherm actually made the Miller torches in the past, and may still do so. They have excellent customer service, and possibly, might provide you with just the connector.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-06-2014 01:14 Edited 08-06-2014 01:17
That's what happened afterwards... They switched to HyperTherm torches because they were still not ready to produce their own design and yet were experiencing some disastrous result by using the French made torches... I believe they opted to keep purchasing their torches from Hypertherm instead of designing and producing themselves...

HyperTherm makes some of the best plasma systems out there and I used to go around demonstrating those as well as Thermal Dynamics and L Tec which is now ESAB...
The Linde Union Carbide (L Tec) plasma cutters were the very first commercially available in the US many moons ago.:wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 08-06-2014 22:45
Daihan OTC from Japan made a few models of machines and torches for Miller.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Connector?