Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to add a picture to my post
- - By tiger2 Date 08-12-2014 16:29
I was going to post a photo of my weld and see if someone could give me a clue as to what I was doing wrong, but can't see how to add an attachment. I guess I need someone to give me a clue to that first!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-12-2014 16:35
How do I attach images and other files to posts?

If attachments are enabled in the forum and the specific board you want to post in, first submit your post without the attachment, after that you can click the post's Attach button to go to the upload page. Posting and uploading is separated this way because uploads can fail for various reasons, and you probably don't want to lose your post text when that happens.

<Copied from the board FAQ>

Frequently awkward questions :)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-12-2014 17:50 Edited 08-12-2014 22:43
Not that Lawrence's response is lacking anything, but just for the record and clarification:

Only when you are logged onto the forum and have submitted a post on a thread, you will then notice a new bar across the bottom of your submitted post that has buttons for 'reply', 'edit', 'attach', 'notify' and 'delete'.  When you click on the 'attach' button it will give you a new screen that is pretty self explanatory.  ('notify' is to send a message to the moderators about a post that is not acceptable to forum rules)

If I remember correctly attachments are limited as to size.  Seems like I have had to reduce size on occasion before it will accept my attachment. 

EDIT: Since John confirmed the size restriction, I think it is 150k but it will tell you if it is too large and you can adjust.  I usually go in and make a copy of the one I want to keep and then edit it and size it for web postings.  I believe it automatically gives me 150 or less.

Note: some of us on occasion will put an 'edit' in it's own location and mark it such as I just did.  Other times we add, delete, or change within our original text and don't say so but at the top of the post you will see the 'edit' notation.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2014 19:42
Ditto on Brent's comment about files size..there is a limitation, don't recall off hand what that limit is. If you use a photo hosting site (ie Photobucket.com) you simply add the link to your posting with the forum's tags (ie [img]LinkToPicture[/img] ) and the picture should appear within your posting.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-12-2014 19:45
If they aren't already... All these tips (and more that will follow) ought to become a sticky thread someplace at the top for quick linking.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-13-2014 14:50
I wish we could add picture posting info to the FAQ page for future reference.....maybe ross will see this and can add some info on that page.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to add a picture to my post