Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / question classification
- - By CarlosMVstudent Date 08-15-2014 04:16
Why is  it that in TIG  filler metal is classified ER when its not a rod?
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 08-15-2014 05:27
It is a rod.  When tig welding it isn't carrying current.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-15-2014 11:58
The "ER" basically represents the term "Electrode/Rod"

The filler wire is classified as either an electrode or rod...  This way a user can know that the product can be used as an Electrode if used on a spool for GMAW  or it can be delivered in rod for like is used for GTAW...   The product itself is exactly the same no matter if its produced in cut lengths or in a spool.

For example...  ER70S-6  can be used on a spool for GMAW procedures that call for it... Or you could just clip a piece off the spool on your Mig machine and use it for GTAW operations that also call out for ER70S-6
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-15-2014 12:41
Just a note:

Filler classification vs Electrode classification

Electrode classification for GMAW ie. ER70S-6
Electrode classification for GTAW ie. EWP (pure tungsten-green), EWTh-1 (0.8-1.2% thorium-yellow), EWTh-2 (1.7-2.2% thorium-red)...etc...etc...

I agree with Lar on the use and practicality of ER70S-6 for GTAW but it is acting as a filler in this process not the electrode as with GMAW, so you have to be careful regarding the classification of the electrode if spelled out on a WPS or whatnot.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-15-2014 13:37
One other thing. Sometimes the wire spool versions will have drawing compound remaining on them. This is not an issue with GMAW since the wire runs through the arc. It could be with GTAW. This is the theory anyway. I have never seen it to be a problem. Though I don't make a habit of using GMAW wire for GTAW. Its usually to small.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-15-2014 16:25
I have used lots of it in the past though have recently just used 1/16 filler rods.  Problem is the work in question is ALMOST able to be done with no filler but I get a slightly better looking profile with a light addition versus autogenous. The 1/16 will occasionally 'suck' a larger amount of melted filler into the puddle and give me a little more reinforcement height than I really like for the job though it is acceptable to the customer. 

As this project is carbon steel pipe tees with machined parts welded into them the impurities on the electrodes have seldom been a consideration though part of why I changed was because I have had some problems more recently with porosity (mentioned in another thread a short time ago).  It doesn't appear it was the wire coatings doing it. 

One problem with using the thinner, .035, wires is lack of control because they aren't stiff enough to get your hand very far away from the torch and control where the filler is going. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 08-15-2014 17:24
welderbrent,
please forgive me because this definitively shall not be blasphemous, so hopefully HE will forgive me, too.
But reading through your post to its end it just fitted so well to me thus I couldn't resist.

That is.
Even where you may lose control with the smaller diameters, sure HE Is in Control for nonetheless making you succeed finally. :)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-15-2014 18:58
AMEN
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-15-2014 21:49
we had it become an issue where we found contamination on wire spools that was used for automatic GTAW welding. the drawing process can leave oils and other surface contamanents, however for carbon steels or stainless or MIG welding as you mentioned it probably is burned off.  As I recall GTAW filler is drawn down too it just isn't spooled and instead cut to length, those cheeky guys actually tend to charge you more for those 3' rods, so some places bought a wire straightener and would straighten their own spools.  Probably doesn't make sense for carbon or SS filler, but on the expensive Inconel and such filler it saved money.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / question classification