Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Contracting
- - By IowaCWI (*) Date 08-20-2014 19:28
Good afternoon everyone! I had a thread going on this subject awhile back. But now I am looking for more information. It seems as though my area of the country is kind of a dead zone for this field of work. I am certified to D1.1 and most of the companies I see on job sites are from out of state. I am basically a needle in a haystack right now. Would any of you have any suggestions on where or how to find contract work in the midwest? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you
Parent - - By Plasma56 (**) Date 08-21-2014 09:09
Buddy, I'm not from Iowa. No idea of work in the mid west.  But I'm a wealth of information. If you reverse think your problem, you have to seek out those that don't know they need your help. Then you sell them on how your expertise can help them. Your selling knowledge. Your building a reputation.
But I would call Engineering firms, Architects, Maintenance firms, Planners and Project Management Firms. Do a little marketing to those guys, you'll make a few interesting new friends.
Hope it helps.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-21-2014 19:32
Been saying this for years, and I will mention this again.
"...there are 2 kinds in my line of work. Those that travel and them's that's broke..."

You mention the projects in your area are not staffed by local contractors. Very True unless you live in Houston.
Quite possibly, the job you are wanting is being staffed by an Agency such as ManPower, Aerotek, DZ Atlantic, Moody/Intertek, Velosi, SGS and dozens of others.
Go to Indeed.com.
There, I've given you 7 leads that should keep you busy for an entire day or more to follow up on.
Parent - - By IowaCWI (*) Date 08-21-2014 23:21
Thank you all for your response.

Superflux, I am ready and able to travel. Though I would rather stay in the U.S. for now. I have noticed that you enjoy, or at least tolerate, working abroad. I think it would be interesting and probably enjoyable at times. I am just not ready for a divorce yet haha. I appreciate the information. Stay safe out there!!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-22-2014 17:08
IowaCWI,
When I say travel, that means not practical to daily commute or overnight minimum. Perhaps a county away or greater. Not necessarily half a planet away.
I did 1 overseas gig, and the offers kept pouring in (unsolicited) for the next 3 years.
I was just contacted by a recruiter with Velosi and was informed they will probably find something for me near my home in WY, USA.

Not everyone (and or their spouse) is cut out for the "Road Whore Life".
Should one take up that path... You will find that after you get the ball rolling with enough projects under your belt, that oftentimes the work will find you.
In the long run, a Professional can do just fine with a career 9-5 gig.
Not so for me. By the time I was 10, I had lived in 3 countries and 3 states, loved it and therefore was destined to be a "Rolling Stone".

Do some digging around in the resources given you here and something is bound to come up... eventually...

People are always advising me to stay safe, yet I feel safer walking around in many impoverished neighborhoods overseas than I do filling up the tank at a QT this morning in Ft. Worth, TX.
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 08-21-2014 21:04
Not sure what your experiences are outside of structural. Some of our contract services are having a hell of a time finding CWI's, which is required by contract. Some of the ones they do have are, let's just say "entry level" at best. But, people aren't born with experience. You have to get it somewhere. Examples of such companies:

http://jrjenergyservices.com/
http://www.janxndt.com/services.shtml
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Contracting