Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Certified Welding Inspector
- - By wfriii27007 (*) Date 03-16-2003 22:09
How do you go about becoming a welding inspector?
Parent - By cawelder (**) Date 03-17-2003 02:00
Money, Money and more Money. Ok for real. You can find all of the information on this site. Look up the certification section and start reading. You can download and print the application and mail it in. Along with the $2100.00 of course. I wouldnt take the exam without the prep course first. Its a very tricky exam.

Chuck
Parent - By inspector362 (*) Date 03-26-2003 21:29
Get the code book that you wish to certify to as soon as possible, then become very familiar with chapters, sections, and indices. Don't try to memorize all of it unless you have a photographic memory. And don't forget the annexes, and the commentary. The commentary gives a lot of understanding to what you read. Research the book as if you are an inspector, just don't make the calls. I am new myself, so I know how hard it is not to "not jump in". Be patient and accurate, and when you think you know it pretty well, start over. When you get to the prep class, you will have a better understanding of what they are showing you. Good luck.
Parent - - By rpoche (*) Date 03-27-2003 02:28
Do a search on this forum for "CWI" - notice the posts by pipewelder_1999 - He had a dissertation a few months back on this matter which was really well put and covered the bases.

The week long class AWS puts on is good for refresher/learning but the intention is to learn the material - spend about (6) months minimum learning the Code you will test to.

Robert
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-27-2003 07:01
Good advice.
Parent - - By cmg (*) Date 03-30-2003 00:00
money.....thats true,but you should look at the aws site for min requirement,there are a few,then get good study matl....and study your a$$ off.buy your code of choice and tab all sections and learn how to get to specific topics.....procedures,testing sample section,welder quals..etc..etc..i did not take a prep course but i did study every night for 6 months before the exam.it is tricky, i.e.. all the above,both a & b or b & c answers.they want you to read the entire question and all the answers.i had over 12 years of exp in welding and studied alot and did o.k. but w/out exp i wouldnt have any respect in the field......anyone can learn how to pass that test.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-30-2003 17:57
Also when taking the test, don't read anything into the questions.

Brian Maas
Parent - By UCSB (**) Date 04-14-2003 20:34
First you need to meet the experience requirements, then study,study and study some more
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Certified Welding Inspector