Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / DOWNHAND WELD TEST EXPoSition
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-25-2014 04:28 Edited 08-28-2014 04:40
Putting on a one time only how to fit and weld out a 12x12 butt and branch test in Ponca City Oklahoma! You will get personal coaching from seasoned pipeline hands, CWI on site to ask questions and get advice, world class fitters will be on hand for layout and fitting advice.

CWI on site
Seasoned hands on site
We provide pipe and rods bevelers if necessary
$600 per person
Food and Beer

It will be a good time and help you folks wanting to break out on the ROW!

I did this myself and put a lot of the ******** you hear to bed straight out the gate.

post here and pm me for details .....
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-27-2014 16:14
Haven't been to Ponca City in years. Used to go down there to witness tests and dimension valves at Modern Supply, guess their probably not there anymore.

Had a good friend that I worked with for years over at Wynona, probably gone by now. He retired and never looked back. Took me years to catch up with him, then never heard from him again.

Polish up that Pioneer Woman Statue and enjoy life.

I was born and raised in Henryetta, OK. Been gone, except to visit relatives for over 40 years. Got bit by the pipeline bug then found a home with a gas company.

Good luck with the welding school. That branch if done right is a good tool in the welders pocket if he expects to pipeline much. That and the butt, both 12", qualifies them for everything, but then you already know that. Saves a lot of single qualification testing. I could tell you what I understand about the history of that and how it came to be, if you're interested.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-28-2014 01:11
Yea It seems to be a good little town ...plenty of pipe work around and of course the refinery right there.   I don't live there but a friend of mine does and is starting to do this every so often for younger crowd or hands that just want to get out on the row.   I imagine the test come from back in the day when they would make up tie ins off of a stick instead of having fittings and what not?
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-30-2014 02:27
Partially. I will try to explain it the way it was explained to me. This is only required in the API 1104 as far as I know.

Pipeline welders, years ago, used to get paid 8 hours for every test they made and passed. If they made four test welds in a day they were paid 8 hours for every test weld. That could easily happen when working on a job where there may be multiple diameters tests, socket weld tests, and o-let weld tests. Some owners may have required the welder to pass EVERY test or they were let go for failing one test even though they may have already have passed several tests already. This could end up costing the contractors quite a bit of money. As I understand it, the owners and contractors got together agreed that if the welder could layout, cut, fit, and weld the branch it would show his ability to use a torch and weld too. They agreed that if the welder could make the two welds on 12" pipe then they should be able to weld multiple joint designs, diameters, etc.. There is also a belief that this is a fabrication test. If you don't take the butt and branch test you cannot weld on fabrication. This restriction does not appear in the 1104. It's just that usually there will be multiple types of joint designs and diameters while fabricating and it's easier to track the welders if they all have the multiple qualification. If all the fabrication would fall within the single qualification as designated by the 1104 then the multiple qualification would not be necessary. This seldom happens.

Early on in some distribution areas they did make fittings, 90's, 45's, tees, Y's and what ever was required including orange peel plugs. I have seen one of those, orange peel plugs, and it was under quite a bit of pressure. Surprising what quality went into the fabrication of that cap or plug.

Today, as I understand it, the welder is only required to make the weld that is required to keep his job, make the butt weld and weld on all butt welds, fittings and pipe. But if you move outside of the API limitations you would have to make another test to weld in that particular situation, an example would be to move from a butt weld to a socket weld, different joint design. The butt and full sized branch weld allows a way around this. There are still some limitations with the multiple qualifications but they are few. The welder will get paid 8 hours for the test weld and if he goes immediately to work he gets paid for the number of hours in addition to the 8 hours.

There could be different reasons but this was the way it was explained to me by an individual who had been on the API 1104 Committee for many years. If someone can add to this jump in here and spread the word.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-30-2014 05:52
Well I will say this ....when you do the branch you are basically covering any joint configuration and all positions and even tho you qualify officially dwn hand...your welding uphand as well.  Throw the 6g or arkansas bellhole test in there and if you can do that....I personally have no worries about your skills to meet that particular carry of fillers under that process your testing to.   Makes sense.
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-31-2014 00:37
I know. Some welders make both tests before noon including the lay out, cut, fit, and weld, others take two days then fail too. It can definitely be an endurance test. The test says "lay out", that is how it's supposed to be done. Many welders usually have a template they use. I have let welders use the template only after they have proved to me they can actually lay out the cuts on the branch. These are welders I have tested before and have proven they can do the lay out.

As you say, this test will cover about everything with a few exceptions.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 08-31-2014 01:44
Tommy ......6g is to show you can weld........branch is to see if you can weld while pissed off!!!!!!!!!!:yell::yell:
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-30-2014 03:21
I'd love to do this but it won't be anytime soon.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-31-2014 16:08
I keep hearing the branch is an endurance test? If the branch tests y'alls endurance, you know 12 oz curls are not considered cardio! LOL!!!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-02-2014 01:54
EASY CHEESY!!!!!!   I got that dang work out perfected!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / DOWNHAND WELD TEST EXPoSition