Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / ICC Structural Steel and Bolting Exam
- - By JMc (*) Date 08-26-2014 03:10
Greeting AWS Forum!

Long time lurker, almost first time poster!

I recently landed my first real CWI job and I am expected to obtain an ICC S1 certificate within the next few months. While my background is in structural steel (i was an ironworker for 10+ years) I am leery of these exams. The CWI exam was challenging for me to say the least and I wish I had researched it a little more thoroughly before sitting.

I understand the S1 exam is a two part test with the open book code portion and a plan review portion. I know that some members here have the certificate and I would greatly appreciate a little info on what to expect.

Does the code portion mainly focus on the AISC manual?
What type of plans can I expect to see? Skyscraper? Multi story?
What type of plans questions will I encounter?
How would you rate the difficulty of the exam? I've seen mixed opinions.

Thank you for your considerations!

~Josh
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2014 03:33
Since you are an "almost first time poster" (two whole posts) I will give you an ALMOST FIRST TIME WELCOME TO THE AWS FORUM!! 

Interesting question.  As a code of ethics is involved in all aspects of the various certifications we get (ASNT, AWS, ICC, City of LA, etc, etc) I should mention one must be very careful how these types of questions are answered.  Can't get too specific.

Now, The Code portion of the exam will take you through both RCSC as well as material in Section 16 about bolting which is under several categories.  BUT, it also takes you into IBC 2012.  I believe you have a choice of 2009 or 2012 when you sign up.  Take the 2012, it is the one under consideration, amending, and adopting by most municipalities at the moment.  The Building Authorities use a six year advancement but by the time it comes out, gets all the amendments, and changes for city, county, and state regulations worked into it and is accepted for use it is about 3 years behind the published date. 

There are several changes in Section 17 on Special Inspections as they apply to bolting.  Same with the AISC Construction Manual, make sure you have the newest one as it has changed some in the RCSC. 

Multi story.  An interesting set of plans to say the least.  Mainly watch for things that will bounce you from schedule to schedule so you are constantly going to another sheet several times to answer one question.  Notes, schedules, and details.  Watch them closely. 

No use rating the exam.  It does it's job, weeding out uneducated wanna bees.  If you have the experience and study beforehand you'll do fine.  Some will find it easy, some difficult, some think it is just a money grabber that you automatically pass the second time.  Wrong.  But then, I and my son passed the first time so who am I to say.  We both passed the CWI exam the first time, AWS Bolting Endorsement the first time, and I took the LA City exam and passed the first time.  Does that mean they were easy?  NO!  Does that mean I am better/smarter or just a good test taker?  NO!  I believe in lots of study and get serious about what you are doing.  It isn't a picnic, play with the relatives, go sight seeing opportunity.  It is a serious test.  Treat it as such and you will do fine. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By JMc (*) Date 08-26-2014 04:05
Brent, I enjoy reading your posts, I was hoping you would see this and respond. Thanks!

I can't seem to get a grasp on the AISC code as well as I did with D1.1. I have yet to find the rhyme and reason to it. The IBC 2012 seems pretty straight forward to me, almost common sensical. I guess I'm more concerned with the code portion than the plan reading. (Sort of the opposite of the CWI, lol)

I may take the online prep course that ICC offers. I'm not sure that I can formulate a study plan for the AISC manual on my own.

Anyway, thanks for shedding some light on it.

~Josh
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2014 05:25
AISC begins with engineering info though there are things in there you need: Tables with structural sizes on steel, info on bolting, welding, and design/engineering.  Then you come to Part/Section 16 which is where most items we as welders and/or inspectors need.  Anchor bolts and holes, inspections for welding and bolting, etc.  The sections are lettered A, B, etc.  I wish I had mine in front of me.  It might be out in my car.  I'll have to check if I have time.  I'm working double 10 hour shifts and don't have much time.  What time I do have I try to sleep.  But if my book is in the car I can give you more direction.  Following a commentary on Part 16 is the RCSC and then The Code of Standard Practice.  It really isn't that hard but it does take a couple of times through before it really starts making sense.

Most of the practice programs I have seen for ICC are 20-30 years old and totally worthless.  I did much better on my own IMHO.  The practice material asks info from old AISC Manuals, ASTM standards, and AWS books.  I was given 3 or 4 different ones and all were seriously outdated so be careful what you get. 

Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2014 06:29
Got it.

So, about 1/3 of the way through the Manual is Part 7 Design Consideration for Bolts.  There are a couple of items you will need there.  It has it's own tab/index.  Read through it then RCSC then back to it and you will see more fully. 

The tab/index labeled 'SPEC' is Part 16 Specifications and Codes.  Chapter J: J1.6, J3, Chapter M: M2.2, M2.5, M2.9, and the Commentary for each of these will aid in understanding. 

Compare the Tables carefully: Table J3.1 Minimum Bolt Pretension (what bolts are actually pretensioned to being 70% of bolt minimum tensile strength) and Table 7.1 in Section 7 of the RCSC Minimum Bolt Pretension for Pre-Installation Verification which is 105% of minimum bolt pretension and also now found in Table 8.1 in Section 8 of the RCSC.  Tables 8.1 and J3.1 are identical.  You don't need to calculate, it is already done and the kips given are at 70% and 105%.  Know their application. 

Chapter N in Part 16- QC and QA, Table N5.6-1,2, & 3 and N5.6 will also add to your knowledge.

Mainly, RCSC.  Most info is right there.  Just go over it until it is familiar.

Now, the ICC exam centers.  Some will let you tab and if memory serves me right you should be able to.  BUT, some will not.  We had to remove all our tabs.  I didn't tab for the exam, my book was tabbed with areas of high usage for my personal benefit and expediency.  They claimed my tabs weren't permanent.  Well, they were right I guess.  While it took a lot of work to get them off without tearing the pages they did come off.  Actually, I used my knife and cut most of them at the edge of the pages.  Funny how that changed by the time someone else I knew took the exam.  It may have paid to complain.  Didn't matter.  I know my AISC well enough it didn't slow me down much.  Still finished the exam and had time to go back through every question a second time before entering in the final submission (all done on computer and you can review before you submit your answer page). 

Parent - By JMc (*) Date 08-27-2014 00:08
Great information once again! Thank you for taking the time to write that out!

I wish I had more time to study. I've had the books for almost a year now and periodically studied them a bit but nothing like I should have and now I have a deadline.

~Josh
Parent - - By JMc (*) Date 09-24-2014 01:53
So, I've been studying and the manual, in my opinion, is divided into 4 sections:
1. AISC
2. Specifications for Steel Buildings
3. RCSC
4. Code of Standard Practice for Steel Buildings and Bridges

I'm learning more than I thought I would. One thing that surprised me a little is Table 14-2 of the AISC states that the minimum washer thickness for a 1" bolt is 3/8". I have never witnessed this being enforced in real life. There are a LOT of buildings out there with 1/8" washers on 1" anchor bolts.

Anyway, I'm getting a grasp on where things are located in the manual. I think I'll do OK on the open book portion of the test. I'm still a little concerned about the plan reading portion. I talked to an in-house QA for the ironworkers I'm inspecting and he said the plans are really dummied down from anything you would see in the real world. I guess we'll see. I take the test Friday morning.

I did find out that the Project Manager I work for, a PE Civil Engineer, took it one time and failed. :grin:
~Josh
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-24-2014 03:11
Hello Josh,

Glad you are still around.

Watch for the difference between anchor bolts and structural bolts.  Which are all different than standard machine bolts.  Head dimensions, nut dimensions, washer thicknesses, yield strengths, etc. 

Now, washers that thin on anchors was probably way out of line unless they had put holes in that were within 1/16" of the bolt size in which case they didn't even need washers.  But, anchor holes (look up the Table with the tolerances) are usually allowed to be quite large compared to the bolt size in which case they need washers that are 5/16" or thicker.  Now, you can use thinner washers on 1" anchor bolts.  But you have to take all the various factors into account.  I don't have my AISC right now, out in the car again, so I can't give you any guidance. 

But it sounds like you are getting familiar with it so just keep it up.  If you have any questions just ask away.  Several of the guys here are good with bolts.

Parent - - By JMc (*) Date 09-26-2014 21:20
Well, I passed the exam this morning!

It was about what I expected. I feel like I did well on the open book portion. I finished it with a little over 2 hours to go. I'm glad I had that much time left because the plans were "interesting" indeed! I would have killed for some fab drawing sheets. I thumbed through to the back for the first question, thinking there would be fab drawings like there sometimes are in the real world and when they weren't there it took some wind out of my sails. I started to panic a little, but the deeper I got into it, the easier it became. I finished the plan reading portion with 45 minutes to spare, went over my answers ( I changed 3 or 4 or them) and walked out with 20 minutes left.

I thought it was a good test. There was plenty of time. It was nowhere near as hard for me as the CWI exam. I'm glad it's over and I won't wake up thinking about pre-tensioning.

Now I need to start a thread about a new CWI that is in over his head. :lol:

~Josh
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-26-2014 22:54
CONGRATULATIONS JOSH!! 

That's great.  Now you are ready for the work to just pour in and make you rich  :lol: :confused: :roll:  Well, okay.. I guess I got a little carried away.

Remember,  Certified does not equal Qualified.  And just because you are qualified enough to sit for an exam, there is still a lot to learn about every diverse sector of our industry.  Employer's need to have training programs in place to make sure the job is done right.

Now, you already work for an engineer right?  So there may not be a lot of change in what you are doing but now you have a cert documenting your ability to negotiate the applicable code as well as read blueprints with some semblance of professionalism. 

I need to send you a pm so look for the notice you have a private message.

Parent - - By JMc (*) Date 09-27-2014 00:20
Oh trust me I know what I'm up against!

What makes it worse is...I'm the only CWI in the company I work for so they expect a lot out of me and there's no one to really lean on. Trial by fire! (but that's for another topic)

The best advice I could give a candidate for the bolting test is:
1. Familiarize yourself with the AISC book so you can breeze through that part and have enough time for the plan reading.
2. When you get the plans, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with them. I tried jumping right into the test, and I had to drop back and punt.

~Josh
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-27-2014 01:28 Edited 09-27-2014 01:32
If I remember correctly, they give you 4 hours total and you can use it however you need.  If the book part only takes 1 hour, you get 3 for the plans.  I used about 1 1/2 each I believe and that was going through both parts twice before I hit the 'submit' to finalize my answers.  My son took longer.  (To others in the future: you take one, once you hit submit, you get the questions for the second stage.  They hand you the plans at the beginning so you can start when you want after you finalize the book portion; but the clock stops at 4 hours so don't use too much time for the book or you may short yourself on the time you personally will need for the plans).

Once you are through, and see how much time is left, it was nice to relax and just review my answers and make sure I didn't make stupid mistakes.

Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 06-20-2015 00:59
What process is this again?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-29-2014 12:03
Good job Josh!

>"trial by fire"

LOL, been there done that! I feel for ya, when I was thrown into the fire I had to depend on this forum for lots of encouragement and support...thankfully the forum was here and fulfilled those needs. My support at work was very ill and passed away before I had a chance to glean those precious info-nuggets from him.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-26-2014 14:26
Hey Josh....glad that you decided to start participating in here. :cool:
- - By Jeffrey Gibson Date 12-15-2016 03:32
Hello, Hoping to learn if this Thread is sill open and People Participating. I need to take the ICC S1 Bolting Exam and need all the Info I can get, Thanks Men. JG.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-16-2016 01:43
Hello Jeff,

Is there something in particular you need to know?

To the best of my knowledge, everything here is still accurate and applicable.  The ICC S1 Bolting Exam is still based upon the 2010 AISC with 2008 or o9 edition of RCSC.  You can use either the IBC in either 2009 or 2012.  I don't think they have the test geared toward the 2015 yet.  But both the IBC as well as the AISC will be updated within the year.  The RCSC has already been completed and obviously D1.1 2015 is complete.  All they have to do is meld everything together for the next edition of AISC to be complete.

Parent - - By Jeffrey Gibson Date 12-16-2016 09:46
Thank You for the Response, The 3 Books they list for the exam as follows
1. 2015 International Building CodeĀ®
2. 2012 Special Inspection Manual
3. AISC Steel Construction Manual, 14th edition

What I don't understand is where does the RCSC Specification for Structural Joints Using High-Strength Bolts comes into play?
or, Code for Standard Practice for Steel Buildings and Bridges.  These 2 codes are very prominent when taking the ICC online course.

The Structural Steel Inspectors Workbook has Chapters & Questions using many different codes, such as: AWS D1.4 Reinforcing Steel/Rebar, D1.8 Seismic Supplement, even D1.3 Sheet Metal, and a few more. Even some from the Steel Deck Institute. Do I take as many codes as I can carry?

Any Explanation will be Great, I need to take this as soon as possible  Thank You Very Much, Greatly Appreciated.
Attachment: CSPSBB.PNG (584k)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-16-2016 17:48
You said you are taking the ICC S1 Structural Bolting Exam?  What classes did you take?  And were they actual ICC or were they through SSTC with Bob Shaw? 

Just got done on phone and on line with ICC.  They have updated to either the 2012 or 2015 IBC code book.

Regardless of the classes you took, IF you are taking the S1 Bolting Exam then you need the AISC Construction Manual.  In it, in the tabbed section for bolts, you will find some info for bolts and anchor bolts and holes through the anchor plates that are not in the RCSC.  The RCSC is in the rear section of AISC as is the COSP.  You won't need the COSP but you will mainly need RCSC.  My guess is that about 75% of the 60 questions come from RCSC section of AISC with another 15% coming from other sections of AISC.  The rest come from other sources. 

Both the AWS and the IBC Bolting exam has mainly questions from the RCSC.  So know it well.  If you took a class you should have it down pretty well.

For S1 you don't need D1.3, D1.4, D1.8 or D1.1.  Those are for S2 on Welding. 

I have a feeling that the Special Inspections Manual is a variation of the old Special Inspection Model Program which had no questions as I remember for the exam.  It is going to have sections that are for welding as well as bolting so not all parts are applicable to the S1 Bolting Exam.  Not sure there will really be many questions out of it but you should take it with you just in case. 

No, you can't just take as many codes as you can carry.  Only the three listed in your first paragraph.  Not sure I would go with the 2015 IBC instead of the 2012, some aspects of the 2015 are not going to line up with the AISC 2010 (current 14th edition) because it is based upon the IBC-2009.  IBC changes every three years but AISC and AWS are both on 5 year schedules with AWS coming out first then AISC takes the newest RCSC (currently the 2014), AWS D1.1 (currently the 2015), as well as the newest applicable IBC (currently the 2015) and incorporates all needed information to develop their 'Construction Manual' which attempts to be a general guide putting all codes together though there are areas they hold to different standards than the others.  Thus, AISC is about to come out with their 2016/17 15th edition based upon these newest editions of the others. 

Parent - - By Jeffrey Gibson Date 12-17-2016 02:08 Edited 12-17-2016 02:14
WOW What a Response, Greatly Appreciated.
The course I am taking is online with ICC Titled S1 STRUCTURAL STEEL AND BOLTING SPECIAL INSPECTOR - 2009
I have the IBC 2015, I may get and take the 2012 based on your sound advise.
I do not have the AISC 14th Edition yet. So, I have not seen the RCSC in there or COSP, That is Great to know.
Thank You for Mentioning Bob Shaw, I checked out his Website and very likely to take his Course(s).
You are correct that the Special Inspections Manuel is a variation of the Model Program for Special Inspections, because the course I am now taking list that and not Special Inspections Manuel.
The Structural Steel Inspector's Workbook is a little misleading in that all that is covered in it is not on the exam, i.e. D1.4, D1.8, D1.3,etc.

How do you suggest I Prepare for the Part 2 30 Questions that reference the Plans?
Where do I find the Code of Standard Practice for Steel Bridges and Buildings (or is that COSP), I have Include a Snip of a Question for the online course, there are 2 Dozen Questions that Reference this code.

Thank You for Great Response, Your Spirt of Excellence clearly shows, I too have a Spirt of Excellence, However it has gotten me in a lot of Trouble.
Thank You Again, Jeffrey Gibson.
Attachment: BOLTINGEXAM.PNG (119k)
Attachment: CSPSBB.PNG (584k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2016 03:16
Look at SSTC's class for Plan Reading.  Just about finished with it myself just for the PDH's for my next renewal.  Pretty Good.

But, if you have been around erection structural drawings at all, you will do fine.  Nothing that is not normal; details, notes, schedules, stuff to bounce you all around and make sure you chase them all down.  Don't stop until every note and detail has been looked at and compared with the available answers. 

Yes, that is the COSP. 

Do you have ANY of the past editions of AISC?  The layout will be the same just the information may have changed.  You can get used to it and see where things are by looking at either the 13th or 14th editions.  14th will still be good and used for testing probably through all of next year, 2017.  AISC has a new website so may take me a couple of days to find some information I was going to get to you but for the AISC Construction Manual, it is half price, about $325 from AISC if you join.  As an individual member who is in inspections it isn't too bad and definitely less for both the membership and book than if you buy it as a non-member.  I will get back to you with the particulars. 

Parent - - By Jeffrey Gibson Date 01-30-2017 01:52
Hello, My ICC S1 Bolting study has been going slow mostly due to uncertainty concerning How questions will be asked and How I will know where to find for an answers.

I would like to ask today how I  (and others reading this)  can prepare for the 0402 BASE PLATES part of the exam. This represents 8% of the Exam and is apart of Steel Framing Observation Plans Reading. It covers,  Design Configuration,  Hole Size,  Proper Clearance for Grouting,
(Is there a Table somewhere)  Verify Grout Placement Sampling,  Verify that Base Plates are Securely Seated,  and Fastened I.A.W. Plans and Specs.

I have Googled the Heck out of this and Do not know How to Prepare. I should be taking the exam Saturday the 4th and hope to learn enough during the exam that I can help those who take this in the future,  Thank You In Advance, JG.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-30-2017 03:33
Jeff,

There are some things you can't really study for.  Plan Reading is one of those things other than by taking a Plan Reading course with SSTC.  It would help you understand the layout of the plan set and how to find answers.  Tables, schedules, details, and the General Notes are your friends.  And don't forget to follow the notes from page to page.  It is all about experience with plans and how to find what you need.

Now, on the plan reading you aren't going to be using the AISC Manual with the RCSC specification.  But, if there is a similar question during the open code book exam you would probably find it in Part 14 not back in RCSC.  When you look in the index, which will be your friend, you will look at 'base plates' and 'anchor rods'.  You will find your reference locations there.  Make sure you know how to use the AISC Index and how to find the references given by Part and page number.  Review the Part in AISC already tabbed as 'Bolts' to know what is there prior to the exam. 

During the Plan Reading you will find your answers within the plans.  Don't go by anything else.

Parent - - By Jeffrey Gibson Date 01-30-2017 03:52
Very Good, I understand, Great Response!  I did not know that I would not need the references materials for the Plan Reading Portion that I will " find your answers within the plans."  I will be sure to look over the Plans carefully for  "Tables, schedules, details, and the General Notes " Before looking at the Questions.

I have and have viewed the SSTC Plan Reading Course a few times, I will Again a few more time before Saturday.

I will take this test carefully and take time to analysis and understand it So that I can help contribute to those taking it in the future.

Thank You Again for your Time & Great Response, JG.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Gibson Date 01-30-2017 16:46
Hoping for a Clarification, 
One of my exam references is the 2012 Special Inspection Manuel which I thought was the Model Program for Special Inspection.  But I am now I see there is a 2012 Special Inspection Manuel,

Just want to be sure. Here are a couple links.

shop.iccsafe.org/special-inspection-manual-2012-edition-1.html
shop.iccsafe.org/model-program-for-special-inspection-based-on-the-2012-ibc-chapte...

I think I have to take the Special Inspections Manuel

Thanks JG.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Gibson Date 02-15-2017 01:31
Hello, I Passed the ICC Bolting Exam Today.  However, I am Very Angry about it, I think there is something Fundamentally Ignorant about Handing someone 21 Page Drawing and expecting them to know the Drawings in 90 minutes. Part A 60 Questions was a Joke, I did not use either My IBC book or my Special Inspectors book, I knew All the answers to those easy Questions.

Thank You Welder Brent For all your Help, If I can Help someone Please respond to this Post

Thank You All, JG.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-15-2017 14:48
Easy Jeff,

Obviously you were well prepared for the exams and already knew your stuff so it all went well; and, Congratulations on passing.

Now, it definitely takes people who know their way around drawings at least with some background to pass that portion but it is not that difficult of a test on the plan reading if you do and you apparently do.  And, if you did not take all of your 120 minutes on Part A I believe you can use whatever is remaining on the Plans, you get 3 1/2 hours no matter how you break it down as I recall the instructions.  So if you only used 1 to 1 1/2 hours on the Part A you should have been allowed 2 to 2 1/2 hours for the Plans.  It is really up to the test taker how they use their time.

For anyone else reading this, even if Jeff feels he didn't need any of the books for the test, in an open book exam it is always wise to look up the answers.  You will be amazed at how many you 'thought' you knew that there was actually a better answer for. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Parent - - By Jeffrey Gibson Date 02-16-2017 18:02
Quick Clarification to the Point, Brent, I did not say I did not need ANY books for the exam I said I did not need the IBC or the Special Inspectors Manuel.
Of Course you need the AISC Steel Construction Manuel, I had to look up 2 or 3 W Shapes, I had too look up a Channel, I had too look up an Extra Strong #5 Pipe (Question asked What is the Actual Thickness of the Pipe, Nominal is .750, Design is .699, I choose .750, why is it asking "actual"?)
I had to look up Table 1-22 for the length tolerance of a Beam. And of course I had to use the RCSC, I had 4 questions from Table 3.1, I had another 3 from Table 8.1, I had questions about HEX Head size on a 3/4 inch bolt Table 2.1, But also I had 2 Questions asking the same question what lot size for Bolt Verification we all know its 3. I had 2 questions asking minimum Tensile strength of bolts 70 percent was the only good answer on both. I knew these things, I also knew the 15 Percent and minimum 2  bolts for arbitration, I has 2 questions asking me what material for Finger shims=Mild Steel.
etc, etc,

What I did not need was IBC chapter 17, Special Inspections Manuel, Chapters M & N form AISC 360, Because I studied these thoroughly and did not waste time looking up the answers, I was asked minimum qualification for weld inspection, I knew chapter N referenced D1.1 & CAWI. I was asked about NDE Qualification and the correct answer was from the last sentence of Chapter N, N1 Scope word for word.

You need all the time you can get for the Plans So Study So much so you don't have to look up answers and easy pick the right Multiple choice.

From the Plans I was asked what Bolt Size of RED HEAD TRU Bolt is used for the Penthouse/Main Roof Fall Arrest System.?? Never found that answer
I guessed 3/4 Bolt.

Thanks JG.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-17-2017 01:03
Thanks for the clarification Jeff.

Brent
Parent - By Nthuseni Date 04-12-2019 11:03
Hi, do you mind sharing with me so of icc s1 study materials
- - By dhoxha Date 05-10-2018 13:08
Hello guys,

I am wondering what part of the AISC Steel Construction Manual talks about how to determine size of calibrator/wrench to be used for a specific bolt size.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2018 13:51
Are you asking about Entering and Tightening Clearances? Tables 7-16 for hex and 7-17 for TC
Physical bolt dimns are in Table 7-15

edit: I referenced the 13th edition...had that one handy
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / ICC Structural Steel and Bolting Exam