Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / L-Tec Mig-35
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-08-2014 23:20
I have one of these wire feeder is there anyone on the forum that has used one. I thought I would have to change my rollers out to weld with 1/16 inner shield flux-core wire but when I looked this afternoon I notice that the bottom roller had a groove and the top roller was smooth so do anyone have any suggestion.

M.G.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-09-2014 00:07
If I remember correctly, many of those units have a smooth roller with a grooved roller.  The grooved one should be on the power side and you would want to replace it with a grooved one with knurls for gripping the innershield/flux cored wire electrode without slipping while keeping the pressure low enough not to crush the wire and loose your flux.  The pressure roller will still be smooth. 

Not all machines are thus, but more are using that configuration.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-09-2014 05:52 Edited 09-09-2014 17:00
Here's the operating manual for this L-Tec MIG - 35 Wire Feeder which us now ESAB and prior to changing their name to L-Tec, they used to be a product of Linde Union Carbide...
I used to service these wire feeders rarely many moons ago as a Tech Rep of the largest independent welding supply/industrial gases distributor in the New York City metro region... I write rarely because they were for the most part, a very rugged and dependable wire feeder... However, some of them did have some defective pc boards which were not of their own manufactured components yet, the ones that did have their own boards were and still are very reliable wire feeders... In fact, there were more issues with the Miller feeders than any of the other brands including Lincoln which were practically indestructible for the most part... So here's the link to the manual:

http://edgewh.esabna.com/literature/Arc%20Equipment/Wire%20Feeders/Mig%2035_Wire_Feeder_F-12-786-M.pdf

According to Table 1 located on page 8 (8 of 34) in the .pdf operating manual, part # 2075261(Serrated) is for 1/16th diameter Cored/Hard wire for a two roll drive feed roll, and if it is a four drive roll feed roll, the part# is: 999332(Serrated)... And for both drive roll configurations, the outlet guide to use for 1/16th diameter is: part# 39N15(b)... These part#'s are for Hard/Cored wires.

Brent is correct in writing that the pressure roll located within the "clapper" is of a smooth surface and is included as part of the wire feeder itself... Milton, do you remember the shape of the groove on the feeder roll? I ask this because if the groove shape is of a "U" groove configuration, then that type of feed roll is usually for the soft Aluminum or similar filler wires... The part #'s for these Soft "U" groove feed rolls are as follows: 2075298(U) for a two roll drive configuration, and part#999323(U) with an outlet guide part#29N13**... If you look @ Table 1 at the bottom in the notes on page 8, you'll notice the two stars(**) note that says you also need to use part# 05N57 of 1/16th diameter wire for the outlet guide insert which is a plastic insert...

Now this link is too funny and yet sadly - very true... Take a look:

http://www.weldmart.com/GUY%20LOGO%20PAGE.htm

Btw, these folks do have many of the common parts for older equipment and are very knowledgeable... And if they don't have the part, they're really good @ steering you in the right direction towards folks that do.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-09-2014 06:32
You are so correct, sad but true.  Great links once again Henry.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-09-2014 14:26
Thanks Henry and Brent you all are a wealth of information. Henry the feed roll was a ( U ) shape I have ordered another feed roll for the 1/16 wire and again Thanks for the info.

M.G.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-09-2014 17:18
Milton,
I almost forgot to mention as it does in the operating manual that the spring that is on the accessory support assembly uses two types of springs... For soft and small diameter wires a part# 18W55 light spring is recommended to use and for large diameter hard/cored wires, a part# 18W54 Heavy spring is to be used instead.

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / L-Tec Mig-35