Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Full Pen V-groove on mild carbon joint with stainless steel
- - By freenow Date 09-22-2014 16:43
Hello:
I'm looking at a situation where we may be welding a full pen V-groove with mild carbon steel with a root gap of 1/8", and there is a 316L component behind the root gap (so basically a stainless steel backing). Thinking of qualifying the procedure with 309L root pass followed up with E71T-1 fill passes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your input.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-23-2014 01:24 Edited 09-23-2014 08:21
Well first off, there not enough details to give an intelligent answer and your question only generates a multitude response made up of possible relevant questions to follow up with...

So instead of diving in face first, I'll just ask one question hopefully... Yeah right!:roll::roll::roll:

WHY? Okay,two questions... What is the intended service... all right, one more but that's it! What is the code or standard you're working to? Oh and try not to post the same question in more than one section okay?

I'm out for now.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-23-2014 06:37
WTF?????????????????:eek:
this is wrong
who designed this? or even thought of it?:eek::eek::eek::eek:
start over
sincerely
Kent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-23-2014 08:32
Now, now Kent give this person a chance to elaborate further and hopefully this results in a more detailed description of the intent for choosing a stainless backing and welding Carbon Steel together with the choices of filler metal they made... Since it is indeed out of the ordinary, unusual... I believe "freenow" owes us a better explanation that includes the intended service and rationale behind these choices... So patience is required for now and at least until we receive a detailed response. 

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-23-2014 14:08
I suspect we are talking about a SS cladding layer on the ID.
In which case I would just run 309 the whole way out.
You cannot predict dilution.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-23-2014 14:09
There is nothing wrong with welding SS to carbon steel in any configuration as long as you accommodate the dissimilar metallurgy.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-24-2014 04:19 Edited 09-24-2014 04:23
That's all right Kent none of us are always right in everything we have done or currently do which is one of the reasons why we sometimes tell each other:
"Hey, I'm only Human!":roll::wink:

I agree JS... The unusual aspect of this is just that it's not often done as much as using the same, or very close to the same steel alloy composition for backing & filler metal to weld together mild carbon steel... Although it's been done enough to be a viable option especially for testing purposes, or certain applications...:cool:

Still, there is nothing wrong in welding stainless stl. to carbon stl. like you mentioned as long as there is an accommodation made with respect to dissimilar weld metallurgy.:grin:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-24-2014 13:20
We're not hearing from the OP for clarification. If its cladding its common. If its backing its odd to say the least.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-23-2014 19:20 Edited 09-23-2014 21:51
my mistake Henry,
this would make a great thesis for a masters or doctorate paper
or welding test, to run off hack rod burners
and after some time thinking, I agree with 309L for filler...
runs great and flows so smooth. love the stoody brand (it was that easb banner ad that got me 40 years ago:lol:)
if someone else pays for it
if I bid why 309L and 316L...the L stands for low CARBON
and use it for mild carbon steel?:eek::eek::eek::eek:
leave out the L and pay less
or use mild steel
this is great for an after dinner chat
but to make $$
this could be an epic fail
just my idea
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-23-2014 06:39
It really must be my bedtime.  I can't be reading that right.  Probably better if I would at least put my glasses on.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By Plasma56 (**) Date 09-23-2014 16:40
Two cents is two cents so I have a thought. Go for it. Tell us the results.

-You cannot predict dilution.

Perfectly true in all aspects of life. But it seems we can qualify the results of trying?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Full Pen V-groove on mild carbon joint with stainless steel