Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / d1.5 2010 5.12
- - By 1316 (**) Date 09-25-2014 01:18
Procedure qualification test weld passes, excluding the root and cap passes, shall employ the amperage, voltage and travel speed of the test WPS. The heat input of each of these passes (excluding root and cap) shall be within ±10% of the average heat input of all those passes.

Can anyone help explain to me 1. what is the purpose for this addition to the code and 2. how can this be accomplished?  If each individual pass must be within 10 percent of the overall average of all the passes (minus root and cover) how do you know if your out of tolerance until the test weld is completed?  I'm really struggling trying to stay within these tolerances and am destroying my profit margin by having to repeat wps quals.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-25-2014 03:01
It can be accomplished by using an automated welding process. It took a really good local bridge shop several tries recently, and it was accomplished with a FCAW torch set up on a buggo track machine, with another procedure ran on SAW setup.

The reason it is there is to keep the heat input controlled. You can create a spreadsheet that will let you know when one weld pass exceeds 10% of the averages up to the last weld pass, or you can calculate each pass to figure it out. The best way is to just start out with the first pass, and use that to set your high and low values. If one pass exceeds the values, you need to make sure it doesn't exceed the averages of all the passes ran up to that point by 10%.

I have seen all but the last couple passes ran on a vertical procedure, only to have the operator accidentally bump the speed control button just enough to put one pass at about 15% over the averages, and ruin a days worth of work. 

Good Luck, even after running some decent procedures and getting the hang of it, you get to repeat it in 5 years if you continue doing that type of work.
Parent - By 1316 (**) Date 09-25-2014 15:36
Thanks for the response but I still do not understand the point of this.  Not everyone has or can automate the test, plus why automate it if all the actual welding has to be manual?  Doesnt restricting the heat input in this way contradict the whole point of qualifying a welding procedure?  If the mechanical tests pass then why should it matter weather individual passes exceeded 10% of the overall passes minus the root and cap.  Plus if the goal is to try and aid in the toughness, by eliminating the root and cap variables it defeats the point doesnt it?  The root and the cap are the most susceptible to service stresses, so how are they given a pass?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / d1.5 2010 5.12