Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding and training
- - By Plasma56 (**) Date 10-01-2014 04:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLarA54Xgc
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 10-01-2014 14:13
Welding on a moving assembly with OAW line sure looks fun!
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-01-2014 17:20
Are you sure it was "welding" or was it "brazing"?  Sorry, did not see the video.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 10-01-2014 19:06
May have been.
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 10-13-2014 03:54
Some OAW welding, some brazing (saw the brazer dipping the rod in flux), some attempt at stick welding early in the film (looked like daubing to me, kind of like what I do today). If you look at the very end of the film it looks like a pipeline with the pipe being rolled so that all the welding could be done on the top. If you look at the very beginning of the film and the Roman Numerals it looks like the film may have been made in the '40's or early '50's. Not sure of the Roman numerals. You figure it out. Hey, it was "state of the art" at the time.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-13-2014 11:43
While the film was made in 1942, most of the images are from the thirties, and earlier,in terms of welding practice. Probably a cheap attempt to provide guidance counselors basic info.
By 1942, both GMAW and GTAW had been developed, and by the early fifties, when I began my apprenticeship, I can tell you without a doubt, that this film was already laughable, and definitely not "state of the art".
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-13-2014 15:15
Fascinating but, how do you know for sure that most of the images are from the Thirties? Is there a record that states this northweldor?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-14-2014 11:45
No record, and the point that I was making is that, "in terms of welding practice", what is depicted, especially in the assembly line sequences, is far more reminiscent of the thirties than the early forties, and,  if you watch the end part of this Ford video of the early V8 manufacture, you will see very little OA welding, even though the film was made a decade earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnexw2S86Oo

As a nine-year-old aspiring weldor, I grew up with all the propaganda films of war era that filled in between the double features we attended, and was glued to any sequence that showed weldors or welders, or new machines.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding and training