Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Pipeline Style #2 Laborday Weekend
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 10-14-2014 02:39 Edited 10-14-2014 03:02
So I know it has been a long time since Labor Day. But I just got around to posting this as I have been knees and elbows in work.  But I wanted to give shout outs to Jeff, Tommy King, Jeffery, Nathan, and AKA Superflux John for showing up and helping me out with this last round of teaching Jeremy, Brad and Alan how to test and weld pipeline style.   LOL and just a note if you see a blacked out face that would be the infumus Superflux.  I must say it was a pleasure for him to arrive across seas and for him to ride his  motorcycle from Dallas to come to little ole Ponca City OK and  to be one of the first people from AWS to meet him in person. ( He is a mystery to most)

This go around over Labor Day we crammed the Butt and Branch in a one day ordeal.  Which is a lot to cover I think we were all worn out after it was all said and done. I know as welders we are all strapped for time and for a one day class means you welders have three days in it when including travel.  But the next class I cover is going to be way different.  It is going back to a two day course and were going back to old pipeline basics for example the old school method of laying out the branch by old school numbers not mentioned in any blue book instead of a template and the way I have been teaching the welding  will be different as well to For example I will be taking video of weld puddles with 3/16ths  DH rods and show you what is needed to correct and what to look for in what a big puddle looks like and how to manipulate it.  

It was a long day but burgers and brats and a few beers after a long days work made up for it plus a few good welding stories if you know what I mean.

I have decided I am only going to put these on twice a year. Once on Memorial Day and Labor Day with a maximum of four people per class. That way you guys get plenty of one on one time as well as plenty of help from my colleagues.

P.s.  Some cut Straps out of there branch but were all going to cut straps and do nick breaks next pipeline style event.  It is a requirement and most of you guys who need this class need to learn how to properly nick straps and make your inspectors happy :smile:

Enjoy the Pics
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-14-2014 22:18
Stan,
It was my pleasure and honor to participate in this event. (Even if the invitation was under false pretense... Thank you Tommy King and your mastery of deceit/bs!)
I feel as though I was perhaps the greatest beneficiary of all the knowledge and expertise available.
You managed to give the participants a world class opportunity to learn some of the secrets and shortcuts that only a combination of nearly a century of experience could provide from you and your assistants. OK, I tossed my 40 years in the industry onto that figure.
There was a lot of "real world", hands on and technically accurate training on that day and as mentioned earlier, I got as much or more out of it as any of the students.
I had not been stateside very long and it was very refreshing to hear the english language (and Welder's lingo) spoken again after all those months expatriated.
Plus! The comaraderie of being in the midst of my brethren welding professionals was priceless.
Thank you for you and your family's hospitality and perhaps I may be invited for the next session.
Sincerely,
John,
aka superflux,
aka Vlad... ;)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2014 22:47
Definitely one bad looking masked man in that crowd. 

But Stan, why didn't you put all that muscle to good use and finish that building? 

Just happened to think, my son just took off for an inspection job somewhere in OK.  Know he was flying into OK City but don't remember where he was headed.  Anyway, good pics Stan, thanks for sharing.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-18-2014 03:58 Edited 10-18-2014 04:28
AHHHHH cmon John!

Your acting was pretty dang good...We had Hillbilly totally fooled lock stock and barrel....Vladimir Dracul (did I spell that right?) had the accent, the attire and the weird behavior down perfect!!!!!!   Besides even if it was superslab all the way it was a nice day for a ride, and thanks for letting me have a 100 or so miles of it.   Had a blast finally getting to meet you after all this time and swap stories over drinks etc.   Gotta do it again next opportunity or maybe if I play it right come see your ponderosa up there and play with some of those lead slinging toys you got!

Hillbilly you twisted my arm like you always seem able to so I had to get some xtra fun out of it.   I think it is a good thing to help guys wanting to go down and round get over thier fears of the test and be prepared to take it.  I agree with the changes you want to make.  Man Yea twice a year would be all I could handle whooo!  lol

[img][/img]

Notice how relaxed me and John were at the pre-game dinner....me in sneakers and John in flip-flops. 

[img][/img]
Hillbilly and Tommy
[img][/img]
Superflux on da ride from DFW to Ponca

[img][/img]
Lunch for the day....of course cooked by ponca slave Tommy

good time
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Pipeline Style #2 Laborday Weekend