Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spray arc .023 wire and why is it "wrong" ?
1 2 3 Previous Next  
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 10-27-2014 18:10
Lawrence,
your addenda are bearing real value - to me at least.
Thank you.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-27-2014 20:48
Are you getting lazy Lar? Or you're in a hurry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7COHv-t5wI

There - that's better.:eek::grin::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::smile::surprised::roll::wink::cool:
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-27-2014 21:03
Dip Spray? Do you really mean Fronius CMT which is a very customizable and controlled form of short circuit transfer...That video is not spray transfer... Dip Spray? Hmmmmm...:eek::neutral::confused::roll::grin::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-27-2014 21:03
Sorry Henry,  sometimes my YouTube is blocked and sometimes it works,  today I had to guess ,because it was blocked so thanks for posting a better clip!
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-27-2014 22:33
Oh how I love high speed cameras.... And lasers.... or how ever they get those videos....

I tried to read through Mr. Craigs site again.... and remembered why I cant make it very far into it. Lots of info buried between what reads like an infomercial.... :confused:
Which one of his books do I have to buy to get just the data and none of the sales pitch?
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-28-2014 11:05
I always thought that the original intention of YouTube was to create a dating website, but when it failed to get me a girlfriend, I realized that it was something entirely different.  Maybe it's just a website for singles only.  Though, while I was searching for a girlfriend, I did see some pretty amazing videos.  Like the woman who spent half an hour trying to parallel park.  It had over 1 million views.  The amazing part was that it typically takes a woman well over two hours to complete this maneuver.  I did see one video of a woman looking for a relationship.  It had only one view, and it was my wife.  She was saying how much fun she is to be around.  Liar!
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 10-28-2014 12:34
LOL! That immediately reminded me of what you were saying recently.

"Speaking of women, I think it’s still a good idea to continue sending women on space missions [...] Just don’t let any of them drive because there is never going to be a space big enough for a woman to park in." [1]

Recalling 'S J's' yesterday's well taken advice however - female AWS forum fellow members shall be explicitly excluded from this group. :)

[1]: https://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=262025#pid262025
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-28-2014 12:48
I certainly mean no disrespect to women, and I hope that it's never taken that way.  It's easy for me to find humor in just about every situation, including my own personal experiences.  I just hope that it's taken as humor and not blatant disrespect.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 10-28-2014 13:06
SCOTTN--
"I just hope that it's taken as humor and not blatant disrespect".
I'm sure it is that and ... in this connection - I for one do really enjoy (all) your posts.
Thank you thus for making me (at least) smile from time to time.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-28-2014 15:46
You’re welcome, electrode.  Just be careful because smiling is not all it’s cracked up to be.  After reading the daily obituaries in the newspaper, I figured out how a person can live forever.  Don't have a lovely smile, don't be bubbly, don't be positive, and don't be everybody's friend.  They always seem to be the first ones to go.  I realize that not smiling is easier said than done.  It’s like, when I see somebody really gorgeous, I stare, I smile, and, when I get tired of staring and smiling, I put the down the mirror.  But seriously, I’ve been thinking.  Life is full of emotions.  Sometimes when you cry, no one sees your tears.  Sometimes when you’re in pain, no one sees that you're hurting.  Sometimes when you’re worried, no one sees your stress.  Sometimes when you are happy, no one sees your smile.  But try sitting naked on a park bench and see how much attention you get.  The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is smile.  I like to go ahead and get it over with, though I have to admit that it always brings a smile to my face when I see my wife coming home from work.  No matter what I’m doing, I always make sure I’m there because she usually trips on the front door step.  I try to hide it, but when she sees me laughing, she sarcastically asks, “How did I end up with someone as wonderful as you?” My response is always the same.  “Aw babe, like I've told you so many times before.  I lost a bet.”  Then I say, “All jokes aside, you’re like a drug to me.” “Why?” “Is it because you’re hooked and you can’t live without me?” She asks.  And I say “No.  It’s because you cost too much and you’re ruining my life.”  The other day she asked me to go out and buy an ornament for the garden, something that'll make me smile every time we’re outside.  So I brought home a headstone with her name on it.  She failed to see the humor in it, so I thought I’d make it up to her on her birthday.  On the day before her birthday, she kept asking me what I got her.  She just couldn’t wait any longer.  I finally said, “Take this blindfold.  “Oh, I like surprises,” She said with a smile.  And I said, “Well, to be perfectly honest with you, it wasn't intended to be a surprise, but I hope you like your new blindfold.”
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 10-28-2014 16:53
Scott,
you're awesome, Sir!
I'm totally done!

Source: http://retrographix.com/clips/2013-01/20130122-604421595406506.jpg
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 10-28-2014 15:32
I do this ^ exact demo for our new guys, big difference between ground joint surfaces and standard tight mill scale.  Fillets in particular are good demo parts.

FWIW I like just enough crackle that it is consistent, if your are on the edge of crackle and whoosh you can have some undercut on the whoosh part.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-27-2014 20:42
Interesting observation Electrode...

I was wondering when you wrote that sentence below, were you describing what I suspect was the effects going on around the wire consumable electrode during spray transfer?

"I myself consider the "crackling" spray arc as being the result of a "high-current" (independent of what that means in this conjunction) affected wire electrode, forming a liquefied taper being split again into a higher number of smaller droplets which may or may even not short circuit with the weld pool cavity's - or channel's - bottom/walls."

You're describing the pinch effect from the Lorentz forces which can vary depending on what the welding parameters(current/volts) are set to and by the contact tip to work distance... Excuse me Electrode but, I need to rest for a few as I just got back from pulmonary rehab earlier today... I'll return later to re-engage in this interesting discussion.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 10-28-2014 13:08
Thank you, Henry.
"I'll return later to re-engage in this interesting discussion."
And I ... look forward to this.
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-27-2014 22:27
Id say technique... I don't have anything to back that up with other than W.A.G's....
I could imagine someone sitting around at a shipyard playing with their GMAW units... wrong gas hooked up but still trying and trying.... More wire! More volts! EVEN More wire!  then Whoops! Some how it worked? What worked? Do that again! Holy crap go get the boss he has to see this! And the next thing you know we have a footnote in the welding text books and a few shops that use a lot of Co2....
Everyone else just switched to fluxcore's or listened to Mr. Craig... :twisted:
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-28-2014 05:45
Hi Clif,

Actually for decades the Japanese have been very successful at using CO2 for shielding gas GMAW & mixed gas MAG welding carbon steel... And not too long ago the Koreans have been equally successful using an active shielding gas as such for quite some time now... In fact those Japanese designed and manufactured OTC Daihen power sources were initially designed and tuned in optimally for carbon dioxide active shielding gas... That's not to say that one cannot use anything else but, OTC welding power sources deposits GMAW with CO2 and if you're not wise to it, you'd swear it was a mixed gas instead of straight CO2 shielding the weld deposits... If you ask me? The Japanese have been in the forefront of research efforts in developing virtually spatter free GMAW-S deposits with the use of CO2 shielding gas and they have been very successful in achieving such a high level of quality..

Their current line up of welding power sources are to my knowledge and for the most part, AC&DC inverters with all sorts of features that can deposit some impressive welds with straight CO2 or Ar CO2 mixes of shielding gas... They're also head over heels into the wave pulse settings which seem to be "pretty" for aluminum weld deposits... But I'm not a sales rep for OTC so, the bottom line is they're excellent power sources for CO2 shielding gas GMAW and are pre-programmed to virtually eliminate spatter which you know when using CO2 as the shielding gas is one of the main drawbacks as to why most folks don't use straight CO2...

In Japan there was a very small supply of Argon yet, CO2 was readily available and cost effective to the Japanese... As the years progressed Post WWII, they became pioneers in controlling and short circuit transfer  GMAW with an emphasis on reducing and eventually eliminating the biggest problem for them with GMAW using CO2 was the spatter problem that's inherent when using straight CO2... Only in the last three or four decades has OTC Daihen expanded their presence globally which is why most people haven't heard of them... And I almost forgot to mention this... In 1985, OTC DAIHEN became the official OEM supplier of robots to Miller Electric Co.... In 1995, Miller announced its departure from the robotics business... In order to maintain the high volume of robots installed, as well as to continue selling to new users, OTC DAIHEN Inc. launched its Dynamic Robotic Division and moved the U.S. headquarters to Ohio...

If you want to know more about OTC Daihen, here's their web site:   http://www.daihen-usa.com/index.php

With the right equipment one can easily deposit high quality GMAW-S welds consistently with straight CO2 as the shielding gas... But you have to have the right equipment.:eek:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-28-2014 21:53
So I can tell my boss I have a great money saving idea for shielding gas....
Buy me a REALLY shiny welder! :twisted::twisted::lol::lol::lol:
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-28-2014 19:09
well I am writing this in San Francisco, but I'm living in Los Angeles. I'm working with a company that does a lot of overseas work.  Nothing in the pipeline as of now, trying to talk my way onto a few jobs we have in China and Thailand.   My actual job description doesn't include travel but I can usually pinch hit as a field engineer or do field repairs as I did in Dubai.
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-24-2014 21:57
Hey Metarinka,
Sounds like the work you did was with robots? Must be nice having complete and total control and above human speeds.... Im jealous :lol::grin:

Anyone have any thoughts on weld chemistry? Would the end result have too much Si or Mn?

Tomorrow after I'm done actually working I'll load up the .023 and give it a "proper" testing on some scrap.... except the gas. I'm stuck with the c25 blend, but have access to pure Ar and a helium tri-mix (90 he 7.5 ar 2.5co2).

And before anyone yells at me about wasting the bosses money, I have asked and he is OK with me play... er.. practicing :twisted: and it will be on "my" time (clocked in for insurance reasons but not getting paid). Hes one of those bosses that likes the idea of his employees thinking.... :cool:
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-28-2014 19:00
actually those particular tests were done with manual welders.  

I mostly do work with robots or semi-auto systems now adays, however I rarely do any work with carbon steel these days though.
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-28-2014 21:44
Aww.. no mill scale to clean?
Even more lucky! :wink::lol:
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 10-29-2014 18:57
PlasmaHead2,
Lawrence's's and fschweighardt's posts on mill scale effects are - as already mentioned - most valuable because of completing this topic.
I for one, however, am not speaking of mill scale or surface layers in general as the driving force(s) behind the phenomena discussed.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-30-2014 01:09
carbon steel is boring. If the billet of metal doesn't cost more than I make in a year, what's the fun in welding it?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-01-2014 01:11
Well then here's something for you to chew on even though it's only an MS thesis... Here's the link:

http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~rheej2/AEM2/classwork/w13/thesis.pdf

Let me know if you're still bored and I'll see what I can come up with from my little library of archives... In the meantime enjoy the read Joel.:roll::grin::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 11-01-2014 09:26
Interesting, Henry.
Thank you for sharing.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-07-2014 18:59
Thanks interesting read! I have heard of CMT but never had a chance to evaluate it.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-01-2014 01:26
That comes across as quite a arrogant statement! I understand what you are trying to say but you have really put your foot in your mouth with that one! Most 99% of the world is built with your boring carbon steel and the other 0.5 % is derived  from from it!
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 11-01-2014 16:28
:lol:
IF I have a bad day (like someone steps on the torch hose and cuts out your shielding gas:eek::cry::mad:...) I can shrug and toss the bit in the scrap bin and carry on with my life.
No doing that with something that costs more than most peoples houses....:eek::evil::lol:
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-07-2014 19:02
no harm was intended. On the welding engineering side, In my career I've found that carbon steels are so well studied there is not a huge deal of interesting projects going on.  It's true some 90% of metal produced by tonnage is steel, and I've welded my fare share. However, I've made a career out of working on exotics, I personally find it leads to more interesting jobs and products when you get to weld on rare metals that have tiny or non-existent knowledge bases. I just find the work more interesting.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-08-2014 10:02
Ah yes! That term "exotics" or "rare metals..." Two of the most misused terms to describe metals that certainly are not as abundant as iron, chromium, nickel, Manganese, Magnesium, Aluminium, Copper, Molybdenum, Tantalum, Titanium, zirconium, Tungsten carbide, etc., etc., etc...  I wouldn't call or classify any of those metals as being exotic or rare these days and yet many folks still do... I mean years ago some of the metals above may have been categorized as being an exotic or rare metal but they no longer pass muster as being classified as rare or exotic...

Cobalt, Ruthenium, Palladium, Plutonium, Uranium, even Lithium isn't a rare earth any longer with the discovery of the "Saudi Arabia" of Lithium found in "Afganiland" and used as an alloying element for an aerospace Aluminium alloy and then there's all of those batteries and fuel cells to be made out of that lithium stuff...  There are so many synthesized metals made form nuclear fission also but, I honestly cannot remember the names of all of them... I will say that there's a Lawrencium and a few other elements that are classified as metals not originating naturally... And ever since they went to the center of the earth in order to save Yellow Stone National Park from potentially exploding with the force of about 100 or so hydrogen bombs going off simultaneously!!! So in order to prevent this from happening a group of mad scientists tinkered with many different materials including synthesizing designer made rare earth metals, the group was able to discover and quickly develop an efficient method of mass producing what was affectionately named "Unobtanium" metal... And  by designing and building a snake like drill vessel aptly named "Deep Core,"the mad scientists were able to reach the center of the earth and blow up the Super Caldera underneath Yellow Stone and saved the world from a catastrophe! Yay!!! UNOBTANIUM! Yeah right!

Here are rare earth metals as they are categorized these days: Cerium, Didymium, Dysprosium, Europium,  Gadolinium,  Holmium, Lanthanum, Lutetium, Neodymium, Praseodymium, Samarium, Scandium, Terbium, Thulium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, and their naturally occurring alloys... now I have been out of that game for some time now but back in the day, we would be welding a whole bunch of whacky Ti alloys and some had Ruthenium, Palladium, or Platinum... Those metals are no longer considered to be rare earth metals...  I didn't even get into the nickel based alloys from The Special Metals Corp. who make Inconel as well as many other alloys widely used in the aerospace industries as well as the other brands like Hastelloy, Rene, and some others I can't remember off hand but I bet Lawrence does...:roll::grin::lol::yell::wink::yell::lol::smile::cool:

I could go and search for some more but today I overexerted myself in rehab and I'm feeling it now, well - ever since I got back home I hit the sack hard! So I'm going back to sleep because I'm hurtin for certain!:eek::roll::twisted::grin::lol::yell::roll::smile::wink::cool: Anyone feel like continuing here for me?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 11-08-2014 16:19
Ahh the elements....

I would highly doubt anyone is "welding" anything above 79 with any conventional means.... Well... Lead you can weld with just a hammer so if you want you could count that...
I'm sure you could weld Uranium or plutonium, from 40 feet away.... through lots of thick concrete and leaded glass in a purge chamber....
As for the rest of the new elements they have created... if you can get them to hang around for more than a few tenths of a second.... maybe?

the "rare" earths are no longer rare. They were never really rare in the first place.... just Very hard to separate from each other and whatever else they are bound up with. The trick to the rare earths is that the outer shell of electrons is the same but the inner shells vary, leading to similar chemical properties but different magnetic/electrical properties...
Now a days they have some sort of counter current solvent extraction process that provides piles of which ever RE you want... As long as you get them away from oxygen quickly.
I'm imagining with a nice purge chamber most of the RE series could be welded and I would love to have the setup to try....

Ruthenium, Palladium, or Platinum are all part of the platinum group of metals, with Rhodium Osmium and Iridium filling in the blanks. Now those are getting into the rare side of things...
All the worlds Iridium is scattered evenly in a thin layer of dust All over the world. It supposedly came from the impact of an asteroid. I gather Scandium is evenly distributed in much the same manner, and people have heard of scandium before :wink:

With that I would suggest that anyone interested gets the book "The Elements" by Theodore Gray. http://www.periodictable.com/theelements/pages.html
It's a visual exploration of every element that you can get a visual of....
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-09-2014 04:24
So where does Scandium get's it's name from - without googling it Clif? here's a hint... It's also where one would find large concentrations of this REM Remember that there are a many different types of RE's but, only a few metals (Something around like 17 or so) that are still known as REM's And China has the largest concentration of any country in the world so far...

However, Japan has recently found very large concentrations of REM's  off the coast of one of their remote islands that we used to call Marcus Island... The vast concentrations were found approximately just slightly less than 4 miles(20K') deep past the Pacific ocean mud...

Another re3cent discovery was somewhere in Malaysian waters which should be a very welcome change in having good fortune  as opposed to all of the bad luck some of the people and the state owned airline has been going trough lately...

Yep, China is steadily losing it's grips as a monopoly of REE's and REM's and some countries like Australia, Japan, Jamaica (that's Mon!) and a few more countries that I can't remember no longer consider China as having a monopoly in the global REE & REM market share which is good news for everyone except for China and is also why China's attempting to accelerate it's plans to explore the Moon and try to control it's REE's & REM's... Although it's doubtful that they will achieve this because of our own plans that will be closer to fruition now that the political landscape has changed to favor such a move in that direction (Write your congressperson and senator to get back to the Moon!) and how it seems that the Russians are also accelerating their plans to finally land a human on the moon and attempt to mine it for it's minerals which is all well and good as long as we don't let China or Russia or any other country for that matter suddenly declare the Moon and all of it's reserves to be declared as being decreed as state property when after all, we were there first and are the first one's to plant a flag there! The Moon is ours dog gone it! Shoot! There's even some folk that have already made claims to lunar real estate  from the USA which means that the government should step in to protect the private interests of Americans... We need to secure the moon! And I mean NOW!!!

Are the Republicans looking for a jobs program besides accelerating the repairs to our infastructure? Well, look no further because with the reinstatement of the Orion Program and the full backing from the US Government in the interests of securing a vital area of our national security - The Moon! The Republicans in both houses cannot lose if they take this path to returning prosperity back to the middle class again because "Obummer" has practically guaranteed our descent to becoming a 3rd world country with the cancellation of one of the only programs that the Bush administration and especially George himself had it right all along...

This country needs to get that program back up and running @ full speed immediately after they have control of both houses of congress... and right after that, they should immediately get the Keystone pipeline started as well as many other energy projects that you know who either delayed or completely stopped funding... We must also outlaw sequestration and immediately increase funding of our primary naval ship systems such as increasing the number of submarines from 2 per yr. to six attack subs and go full speed with the new ballistic missile firing sub design along with retro fitting the current Ohio class subs of at least one per yr. or as many as can be offset by the newer design once they start rolling off the docks... And to increase production of the destroyers currently being produced along with a few more Ticonderoga class or a modern version of cruisers, supply ships and of course those beautiful new Aircraft Carriers...

And whatever else we need to project unimagineable Naval power to the rest of the world with those rail guns that are already being tested to bring up the USN back up to a 600 ship Navy so we can show these up and coming punks who's the boss out in the ocean!...  Start producing the autonomous drone fighters that have already been in testing by the US Navy in large numbers to augment the F-35's that are already rolling out of their factories... In short,  I'm declaring my candidacy for President of these United States of America andi'm running on a ticket that is promoting to re-establish out country as the most powerful country by far in the world today by implementing these new policies that will be started just as soon as I have been inaugurated into office and I don't think that i'll need to issue any executive order to implement these policies don't you think?:twisted::grin::lol::eek::roll::wink::cool:

Oh I almost forgot, start the exploration of energy and mineral reserves within the Rocky Mountains which in the interim will supply us domestically as well as from Japan and Jamaica every thing we need to do all of this at least until we are back on the Moon and mining there also... we need to show the rest of the world that we have woken up from our nap and they better watch out because we're back!!!:grin::eek::grin::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::roll::wink::smile::cool:

Heck I just thought it would be fun to dream  doing that for a minute or two.:eek::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::eek::roll::lol::grin::smile::grin::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 11-09-2014 17:00
Scandinavia?
And I would vote for you in a heartbeat. I rant a lot about how we need to get back into space and that the technologies we would need to survive on another planet will help us survive on this one....
Gotta run
Clif
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-11-2014 15:09
BINGO!!!:cool: Thanks man!:grin:

Now to make it interesting... Name another REM that's also found in Scandinavia and which country specifically?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 11-13-2014 00:04
oof....
I want to say Ytterbium.... but I'm not sure which country...
+ aren't most of them found together in monazite sand?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-13-2014 16:45
Excellent Clif!

The town is named: Ytterby and it's in Sweden.:grin::roll::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-11-2014 23:21
I heard it straight from the admiral himself, you'll pretty much never see the blue water navy size increase at least not for the next 10+ years and they are fighting just to replace their aging fleet of support vessels.   Also it would be of dubious tactical value to vastly increase the sub fleet. You hear recently? The new german AIP subs have been making a fool of our deep water navy, they run quieter than the boomers at a quarter the cost. We loaned two from the swedes  for war games while we try to figure out a strategy to combat them.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-12-2014 01:25 Edited 11-12-2014 09:09
We have known about the AIP's before you even started posting here Joel... Those are not new to the USN... the admiral is gonna tell you just what he wants you to know which isn't much Joel, and there's "stuff" we're doing that's not to be discussed here either but I'll give you a hint... It's SECRET!:eek::grin::cool: AIP's = modified and souped up versions of Stirling engines... and that technology has been around since the early 1800's invented by Robert Stirling of Scotland... the main difference is that they mated the engine with a set of sophisticated fuel cells and controlled by a computer and other do-hickies to give it some automation...

Westinghouse was working on a project similar in scope but, I lost track of it and don't currently know what became of it... Do you remember the Segway fellow Dean Kamen or something like that? He has a couple of working prototypes of a machine he calls the Beacon 10 which is a Stirling engine mated to a natural gas line @ one of his friend's mansion  and he's able to
generate 10 kilowatts of continuous electrical power and it's about the size of a washing machine... Most people need only 2kw for their houses and with natural gas being the fuel, the efficiency rate ow dung to olive oil as a fuel source which makes it so much more appealing as a way of getting off the grid...  The smaller ones will be less expensive than the 10kw models f power output will be way much higher than any of the green alternatives currently in use like solar but solar can only generate power when there's sun light... Stirling's can run off of co and may become a replacement for your furnace and water heater in the near future...

Btw, the P8 ASW birds are locating them just fine ... The stuff you heard about happened 2 or more years ago which gave the "hound dogs" enough to adjust already so that info's old Joel... You see when these incidents happened we were still building and testing the P8's, and now that they're deployed - well, let's just say that there's no place to hide anymore for both the Germans and the Swedes...  Also, just think about our allies like the British and wait now... Are you ready for this? JAPAN!!! That's right and they're now back in the sub business big time, so watch out AIP's because leave it to the Japanese and the The Royal Navy to figure this so-called new stealth out and turn it on them big time!!! And I'm not going to go near what South Korea has been cooking up lately... I'll leave it up to your imagination...

Shoot! Do you even know about our "sniffers?" I didn't think so... Unless you're a "Brother of the Fin" and fully "qualified" you can't know some of the stuff we have that can make those AIP's Noisier than a rush hour subway express train... So just because whomever this Admiral is, told you that we're not able to figure the acoustics out to track the AIP's doesn't mean that it's true dude... Don't ever underestimate the USN! Every time any body has, they end up saying to themselves: "I should have known better than to dismiss the capabilities of the USN!":eek::roll::yell::eek::yell::eek::roll::lol::grin::smile::wink::cool:

Let me ask you a question Joel...  Do you think both the German and Swedish AIP's are designed for blue water operations? I was told that they're designed for primarily littoral waters but, can do some limited blue water ops also, and the key word is limited here which should help you answer my 1st question... Oh yeah, have you ever submerged into the ocean down into the deep blue sea inside a nuclear powered submarine Joel? I have many times and have heard the Russian singing in their POS loud mouth trailer trash submarines if you want to call them that which I personally don't think they even deserve to be called submarines in the same category as our boats... Them suckers are loud without even using SONAR to track them!:eek::roll::twisted::yell::lol::grin:

You're right about probably not seeing any substantial increase in both surface or submersibles as long as sequestration is still alive... However, I have a feeling that the Republicans are going to sweep that dung under the proverbial rug just as soon as they take over because that's just the way the are when there's potential new threats looming...

Do you actually think that we have totally ignored the capabilities of having an AIP power plant aboard a sub? We were studying and doing more research on that technology all the way back in the early seventies and had everybody scratching their heads trying to find us back then only to have practically the whole store of our own stealth secrets sold to the Soviets by John Walker and his son along with his wife and a few other compadres which gave the Soviets a leap up to be @ parity with state of the art acoustic technology we invented and developed along with the RN also...

A whole lot of DARPA money goes into the black programs that most of the Admirals aren't even privvy to know anything about them... There's a whole lot more going on than what you and others may be lead to believe with regards to what extent are our overall capabilities... and I'll just leave it at that because "LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!"

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-11-2014 23:05
You can weld uranium, I've been involved in it. It's not as dangerous as you think. Sure is expensive.  i'll say no more though.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-12-2014 01:42
No kidding dude! You can put two pieces of cow dung together with enough pressure to fuse them or weld them together also! have you welded 'unobtanium" yet dude?:eek::roll::lol::yell:
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-12-2014 21:42
I've yet to obtain any. :wink:
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-11-2014 23:15
I was referring to rare in terms of tons refined by year.  Titanium is one of the most abundant elements on the planet but only ~ 100,000 metric tons are refined vice the 1.5 Billion of steel. Even then most of that sponge doesn't end up as pure or alloyed titanium.

I've had pride in welding some actual rare metals, of which most I'll never talk about.  By all means if you have a thulium welding job that needs to be developed let me know...
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-12-2014 01:46
See that's what I mean... Only when the necessary details are given can someone know what you're referring to in here... Otherwise it's all speculation and I don't like doing That at all...

So don't be so complacent with any or all of the details in your descriptions and explanations son.:grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-12-2014 07:58
Henry,
always my thoughts
or at least I try
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 11-13-2014 00:17
This whole classified thing really sucks for curious people....
I get it, I do. No betraying national security lest we have chineese (or whoever) boots on US soil....
But Still... All the questions! :cry:
Like did you get to run any of the exotics manual or was it all automated?
Did thulium have a really bright green colored arc? About the only use I've ever heard about for thulium is in the high intensity lighting industry where thulium fills in a bunch of the green spectrum...

One that you might be more able to answer; How much of the periodic chart would you call "weldable"?
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-02-2014 00:28 Edited 11-02-2014 02:25
I have done alot of welding... alot of high priced work, and some not so much.
my fun is from the people I work with and the customers I deal with
some of my highest priced jobs and what you call fun were full of a bunch of a*holes, only the $ made it worth while, and I still debate that
welding as life, is about not just the job, but the people
just my thoughts
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 10-31-2014 18:28
PlasmaHead2,
I could learn today from another appreciated forum fellow member's post that one should avoid repeating "sorry" too often, here.
This in mind, and simply since I'm under the impression that this topic has not been really finished yet, I finally was having a look into my archives.
Hence, see below what I was rather focussing on.

- Specimen parent metal: ~ ASTM 283-C (sand blasted)
- Specimen dimension (Length x Width x Height): 250 mm x 50 mm x 10 mm
- Wire electrode: ~ AWS ER70S-6
- Wire electrode diameter: 1.2 mm
- Wire feed speed: 12 m/min (= const.)
- Contact tip to work distance (CTWD): 18 mm
- Shielding gas: Ar+18CO2 (#1) / Ar+10CO2 (#2) / Ar+4O2 (#3)
- Gas flow rate: 15 l/min (= const.)
- Welding position: PA (acc. to ISO 6947)

Note that a conventional constant voltage (CV) welding power supply was used for accomplishing the trials of which the embedded images stem from.
As I was mentioning in a previous post; experimental conditions maintained constant - except the applied shielding gas.

Resulting welding parameters:

#1:
- Weld current (I): ~356 A (mean)
- Weld voltage: (U): ~32.6 V (mean)
#2:
- Weld current (I): ~369 A (mean)
- Weld voltage: (U): ~32.7 V (mean)
#3:
- Weld current (I): ~397 A (mean)
- Weld voltage: (U): ~32.8 V (mean)

As I say; just food for - maybe further - discussion.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-31-2014 21:41
Very interesting! Have you pictures of corresponding welds?
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 11-01-2014 09:45
Thank you, 46.00.
Much appreciated. In regards to the pictures. Please hold on, it's too early yet.
That is. I wish to wait for further comments first.
Like I said recently. PlasmaHead2 has initiated an interesting topic here, and much more is slumbering underneath its surface than it seems.

Hopefully we will not run into one of these 'warlike' discussions here finally, caused by positioning personal opinions (or ego) over technical facts. That namely would be a definitive reason for me to spend my invaluable lifetime elsewhere.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-01-2014 14:26
No 'warlike' discussions from me anymore, I have blocked certain people so I no longer see the wall of text!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spray arc .023 wire and why is it "wrong" ?
1 2 3 Previous Next