Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weave or Stringers?
- - By Superflux (****) Date 10-25-2014 18:15
Cool things I get to see on different sites here and yonder.
This is a valve installed in 1974 and from my experience a common practice "back in the day".
By scaling the picture, the weld is about 2-1/2" wide.
Attachment: STRINGER.JPG (119k)
Attachment: WEAVE.JPG (32k)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2014 19:05
I didn't know you were on my job John :lol: :lol:

That definitely looks more like successive stringers but it is wide at any rate.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-26-2014 00:48
Hey John, isn't there a specific name for that particular 45 degree weave? I seem to recall hearing of and seeing that very technique a year or two ago and it having a specific name. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-26-2014 01:02
Looks like they allowed for a chance to tighten it up if needed.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-26-2014 18:04
I don't know about anyone else but, does anyone notice the top toe of the weld and the depth of undercut on it? I wonder what code or standard they were working to... "Git-R-Dun standard?":eek::smile::wink::cool::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::roll::twisted::roll::grin::lol::yell::grin::smile::surprised: Oh it sure could use some tightening up Lo hi!:eek::eek::eek::lol::yell::roll::roll::roll::yell::yell::lol::yell::grin::smile::roll::surprised::grin::smile::wink::cool: Then again, the bottom line depends on the type of service conditions that joint is exposed to... Yet if it were me, I wouldn't leave that like that... I would have run a really thin stringer and follow that toe around and poof! No more undercut... even though it may not have needed it... My own pride in my workmanship alone wouldn't settle for that end result...  Then again, that's just me!:roll::smile::surprised::grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 10-27-2014 13:54
We called that "lacing" in school
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 10-27-2014 14:18
I don't see this being a "lace". It looks like a stringer starting at the top and arc is terminated at the bottom. Then repeated all the way around. Could be wrong, that's what I get from the picture. Where a traditional "lace" (if there is such a thing) would also include upward progression without terminating the arc. Unless of course your use of the nonstandard term is different than the nonstandard version I'm familiar with.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-27-2014 14:19
I see the same way...lots of short stringers, with starts at the top and stops at the bottom
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 10-27-2014 14:22
I dont know much about lacing, we had some exercises in school 20 yrs ago where we were supposed to "lace" big fillets.  Start the bead at the top, drag to the bottom and then "long arc" real quick back to the top and repeat.  I probably have 12" of lacing to my name.  I might speculate they didn't pause properly at the beginning of each "lace: and that is how they got all the little undercuts at the top
Parent - - By CLH1978 (**) Date 10-27-2014 20:29
Looks like stringer beads. Some folks might call these overlay welds.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-27-2014 21:14
Those are not stringer beads! If I were to get rid of all that undercut, I would run a SMAW or a GTAW stringer bead right on top of the undercut (top toe) all the way around without any movement whatsoever... Result? undercut repaired... Overlay welds? And you call them stringers? Are you sure about that?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By CLH1978 (**) Date 10-28-2014 20:45
Love to learn new methods and techniques. I have never seen a weave bead terminated on each end before.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 11-03-2014 20:11 Edited 11-03-2014 20:13
That there is a horizontal fixed position butterfly lace, from back in the days before 7018. I'm curious why there's a nut tacked in the middle of the weld.
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 11-03-2014 20:22
So they could tighten it up if it leaked.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-03-2014 20:26
Lo-hi,

I just finished "Ace Bandaging" the ribs I  cracked after reading that comment.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weave or Stringers?