Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Pipe Pro
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 11-11-2014 02:54
A brand new 350 Pipe Pro came on the job today and I am reserving judgment till the end of the week.  First impressions wern't great..!!

The weld profile at the end of each pass was clean and slick so I cant fault it on the product it produces but watching that arc lay in there was frightening to say the least.  You would swear it was going to look terrible when you picked your hood up.

The arc almost seemed to splash away in all directions like a cow peeing on a flat rock instead of a focused arc attacking the iron.

This was all welding 5\32 7018 flat today.  I haven't seen it run any 5p+ or 80+ downhill yet..

I have no interest in owning a Pipe Pro I'm just curious what ya'll think of the new machines and if the arc characteristic I described is normal.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-11-2014 17:06
Did it do this across all dig/arc control settings?
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-11-2014 22:06
RC I am fixing to buy one here soon.  I have a that ole SAE 300 which I love and I borrowed one of my buddies new blue machines and welded out a downhill 12 butt with his and one with mine. Pass for pass switching back and forth and to be honest as far a downhill goes they are both so close to being identical.  The blue machine welded just as wonderfully as my Lincoln and I wouldn't say I prefer one for the other as far as welding.  The only reason I am trading colors is because I got a good sell on my grey machine and a hell of a deal on a new blue machine and I want the extra auxillary power. I don't know about 7018 but 10 series rods run just as good if not minutely better than my Lincoln.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 11-13-2014 02:10
Nothing more valuable around here than an honest assessment of process or equipment so thanks for reporting your findings in such an evenhanded manner, HillbillyDelux.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-13-2014 04:08
If I had not got such an even trade I would just keep my Lincoln.  I worked across a man with a new blue machine on 26 inch mainline most of this year and I can say his machine can do everything mine can do as far as welding downhill.  Would I spend the money to buy new blue machine over my  loss on my machine ]???? NO but if I didn't have a machine and about 14 thousand sitting in the bank I think I might edge towards blue machine for what I do. hope that helps someone.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-13-2014 20:50
Wish there was a way to test these machines out, weld with them, get the feel for them before making the plunge.

Have been thinking about a Vantage myself but like Hillbilly said, "14 thousand" is a lot to part with on just "product reviews" online.

Getting an opportunity to weld with one all day long for a few days, now that would be putting your money where your mouth is sort of speak.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-13-2014 20:57
I've met a couple of welders that own them and they all say the same thing. Then again tho, most who bought a brand new Yugo probably said they loved them...
Tried them out myself for a few rods and they seem to run just fine.
On one particular project, my welder was able to plug his "into the wall", get rig pay with NO fuel expense.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-13-2014 21:23
That's what I'm talking Bout
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-13-2014 21:54
hillbilly delux,

What??? You bought a Yugo???
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-14-2014 19:30
LMAO No I bought a blue Gremlin :twisted:
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 11-14-2014 02:09
I don't think the new model 350 Pipe Pro has the option of plugging in to 220v to run the machine.
The older discontinued Pipe Pro 304 did have the option (additional $1,000 if I remember right) of being able to plug in to run the inverter without running the engine.

From what I see the 350PP is an entirely different machine.

I would like to run a few beads with the new one, 350PP.
I had a pretty good Black Face then bought a new PP304. My pipe welding improved.

Floyd
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 11-13-2014 21:50
I can say for sure the Vantage 300 I have used in the refineries and what not is a awesome machine for stick and not bad with TIG. I have only played a little with the downhill on the vantage 300 but not enough to say its wonderful and all. I have passed many of x-ray test with that vantage 300. The best thing I guess if you don't know of someone with the vantage 300 is to go rent one and try it out for a weekend, It would be a whole lot cheaper then a new one. I to wouldn't want to spend 14k on it either so I understand where you're coming from on that but it really is a great welding machine I don't understand why some call it a disadvantage. When I'm on a job and see millers I rather go for the vantage then a miller. That vantage just makes my life so much easier I don't feel like i am fighting it, it does what I want it to do if that makes sense.

Chris
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-14-2014 03:05
Shawn,

Around here, several of the rental place have SA's, Vantages, and others.  Look around, maybe you could rent one for a week.  The weekly rate usually isn't too bad.  A lot cheaper than buying one then deciding you made a mistake. 

edit: just noticed Chris said the same thing. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 11-14-2014 02:06
We have been shifting crews around a lot lately so the new Pipe Pro is on the other side of the job site now.  The machine had 12hr on it when I was watching it run.  I never got a hold of the stinger but the guy that owns it says it feels like it looked. Wild and hard to control.  That being said.... The weld profile looked great when you picked up your hood.

He is flogging a bunch of 3/16 7018 with it now so we will see how it turns out down the road.

I still haven't seen it run any 10 rods downhill so my opinion on it there is still open.

I run a Vantage 400.  Its great on fuel and it makes me money.  Do I love it.? Heck No..!!  Do I hate it.? No.  Its a welding machine. I have learned how to run it and I can make it do what I want it to do.

It's perfect for the job I'm on now because I'm doing 80% structural 20% pipe and I use a lot of AC power.

If I had a pipe job I would ditch it in a heartbeat for an sa200 300D etc...

I don't have anything against the Pipe Pro yet but my first impressions weren't good.  That could be how it was set up and the guy didn't have it dialed in yet.

To be continued after I see it run more.. I'm just curious for other peoples opinion on it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Pipe Pro