Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / To comply with AWS B 2.2
- - By kami Date 11-20-2014 17:15
Our company wants to comply with AWS B 2.2. I went through the standard and understand that BPS and BPQR process and testing needs to be implemented. What I am not clear about, or maybe I missed in the document is, who is going to be qualifier? OK we prepare the BPS and qualify the procedure using BPQR, Who is going to be the witness of these testing to qualify the procedures and operator?
Keep in mind we are located in Toronto, Canada.
Thank you,
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-22-2014 07:17 Edited 11-22-2014 07:26
Hi Kami and "Weldcome" to the World's Greatest Welding Forum!!!:grin::cool:

If you look at section 1 and read the scope, it clearly states that the employer is responsible for that...In the General Provisions, you should be able to read in clause 1.2 - Terms and definitions, and then clause 1.2.2 which has the terms and definitions... Look for the terms "Qualifier" and then "Referencing document..." They are defined:

1.) qualifier. The employer, organization, or individual specified by the referencing document as responsible for conducting and supervising qualification testing.

2.) referencing document. The product standard or contract document that invokes this standard.

Here's an example of an AWS B2.2 interpretation regarding qualifiers:

http://www.aws.org/technical/interps/B2.2-91.pdf

Here's another .pdf:

https://pubs.aws.org/Download_PDFS/B2.2-B2.2M-2010PV.pdf

"Employers shall be responsible for the brazing done by their organization, including the use of qualified brazing procedures, qualified brazers, and qualified brazing operators. It is the Employer’s responsibility to assure that Brazing Procedure Specifications meet any additional requirements of the Referencing Document. Each Employer shall maintain the applicable Brazing Procedure Specifications, Brazing Procedure Qualification Records (BPQRs), and Brazing Per-formance Qualification Records during the period of their use.

When not otherwise specified by the Referencing Document, the edition of this specification to be used shall be established in accordance with the following: (1) editions may be used
at any time after the effective date of issue; (2) the latest edition of this document should be used for new contracts; (3) editions established by contract date may be used during the
entire term of the contract, or the provisions of later editions may be used when agreed upon by the contracting parties."

Clear as mud eh? Now if you want to find out what the qualification testing entails, you can easily(at least it is for me:lol:) find it if you first look in the Table of Contents and then look where Sections 4 and 5 are located within the standard and then check the annex's for any further information that relevant... You must also look at the associated lists of Tables and Figures referred to by each of the sections... And then study the list of forms in order to properly fill out the associated forms necessary in order to become compliant to this standard and if after all of that has been covered and you're still in need of some answers for clarification, please feel free to post any follow up questions and we'll see what we can do to help you out.

Off topic but I gotta ask... Hows' the weather in Toronto/ Good luck and stay warm.:grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By kami Date 11-24-2014 16:20
Hi Henry,
Thank you for your detailed information and clarification.  Sorry for late response, somehow, I just come to check why I haven’t got any response and I realized that I forgot to activate my notification.
At the time you asked about the weather, it was bloody cold, 18 F, but right now is good about 54 F.
I am driving to Rochester through Buffalo today, so I have my swimming suits with me in case foold comes.
Regards,
Kami
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / To comply with AWS B 2.2