Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Does AWS B1.2 WPS's & WQTR meet AWS D1.1 requirements
- - By Tom Topolewski Date 11-25-2014 01:46
Hello All,

Question that has developed that I never really ran into before

Do AWS B1.2 WPS's & Welders qualification test records meet the acceptability Requirements of AWS D1.1 if the material requirements are to the criteria of AWS D1.1. I do not have the B1.2 in My possession so therefore cannot readily research this particular code, but from what I understand this a  collection of  WPS's which had previously been proven acceptable via supporting PQR's on Various metals. We have a potential supplier  that wishes to do work for our company which is insistent that B1.2 is compatible to D1.1 which is our core requirement. My Contention is to have them Requalify to  D1.1 to avoid any confusion

Any Help or comments would be appreciated

Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-25-2014 03:27
You may be confusing a WPS that is qualified to AWS B2.1 and SWPSs. WPSs qualified in accordance with B2.1 are essentially qualified in accordance with ASME Section IX with an expanded base metal data base.

The Engineer/Owner can elect to accept WPSs qualified to another standard, be it ASME Section IX, AWS B2.1, or the Farm Code.

Personally, I am not a believer in the AWS SWPSs that are purchased for a fee. They are a broad brush stroke that leaves the welder scratching their butt with the paper. That's about all they are good for.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 11-25-2014 19:08
I must agree concerning the AWS SWPS, they are indeed nothing more than butt-scratching paper...
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-25-2014 20:00 Edited 11-25-2014 20:02
This is the Loop hole in D1.1
4.2.1.2 WPS Qualification to Other Standards.
The acceptability of qualification to other standards is
the Engineer’s responsibility, to be exercised based upon
the specific structure, or service conditions, or both.
AWS B2.1-X-XXX Series on Standard Welding Procedure
Specifications may, in this manner, be accepted for
use in this code.

I happen to have an SWPS in my back pocket here  :)

Its for Gas Shielded FCAW
It covers:
******4 filler wire diameters
******Voltages from 24-30
******Amperages from 180-400
****** More than 20 joint designs

Now in a pinch that might be handy...

But how do you control process ?!?!?!?!

That is waaaay to much latitude for me to be comfortable in a day to day production setting.

If I were a customer and my vendor said the work was done to that; How would I know what exactly he was doing to provide quality and consistency?????

Edit:   Welcome to the Forum!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-25-2014 20:12
More,

This does not mean that the folks using the SWPS are shady or out of control.   A good quality manager could produce work instructions that were fitting for specific scope, material and joints... But do they?   How would you verify?

Here is an excerpt from another B2.1 SWPS  (AWS B2.1-1-233-200X)
SUPPLEMENTARY INSTRUCTIONS- To adapt this SWPS to a specific application, a user may issue supplementary instructions. Such instructions may consist of tighter fit-up tolerances, higher minimum preheat temperature or any other instructions necessary to produce a weldment that meets the requirements of the fabrication document(s). These instructions shall not be less restrictive than provided in the SWPS.

This one is even more wide open.   And when I say open... I mean CJP open roots welded from one side

Standard Welding Procedure Specification (SWPS) for 75% Argon Plus 25% Carbon Dioxide Shielded
Gas Metal Arc Welding (Short Circuiting Transfer Mode) followed by 98% Argon Plus 2% Oxygen Shielded Gas Metal Arc Welding (Spray Transfer Mode)
of Carbon Steel (M-1/P-1/S-1),
Groups 1 and 2,
1/8 through 1-1/2 inch thick,
ER70S-3

That's right...  TWO GASSES ! and two transfer modes in one SWPS...
Now the thing is backed by eight, count em, eight PQR's

Put that in your pipe and smoke it !
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-25-2014 22:37
Let's not forget that ASME Section IX is the basis of B2.1 and the SWPSs. That being the case, voltage, wire feed speed, amperage, travel speed are not essential variables and do not need to be recorded on the PQR. That being the case,  what is the basis of the parameters listed by the WPS?

Best regards - AL
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Does AWS B1.2 WPS's & WQTR meet AWS D1.1 requirements