Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW root appearance
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-25-2014 18:32
Unusual green tint appeared on interior automated GTAW root bead of 2205 pipe 7-10 days after receiving pipe from manufacturer.  Pipe has not entered Fab dept and remains outside in laydown yard.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?  Appreciate your input.

Robert
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-25-2014 18:57
Hello Robert, that's really interesting, do you possibly have any atmospheric contamination issues as a result of surrounding industries? I am just curious to know if there are any acidic/alkaline components to your surrounding air that could be reacting with something in the weld metal or some sort of passivation treatment that may have been applied that there is a reaction to. I have not seen this Robert, but I will be interested to know what you or others come up with. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-25-2014 19:16
No industries nearby but I also suspect the manufacturer's passivation process.  We're following up on that end but no feedback as yet.

I have never seen this green surface appearance.

Robert
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-25-2014 21:21
Another thought here Robert, do you have any local college chemistry labs close by? and if so do they possibly have spectrometry capabilities at their facilities? Maybe you could carefully scrape some of that material off and have them analyze it to give you it's make-up or you might have to resort to an analytical laboratory to have it tested and I would imagine they might be a bit harder to come by and of course "$$$" would be involved. Good luck and regards, Allan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-25-2014 21:41
That is the way to go...

Get a chemical analysis of the weld metal and the base metal and then make a comparison with the two samples... You should find the root of the problem once the analysis is completed and please let us know what was the cause... I'm happy to see that you're back at work again Robert... How does it feel? I would suspect a lot better than waiting around to heal eh?

I hope one day that may happen for me too because the only thing that keeps me from losing it is to remain active in this forum and consulting when I feel up to it on a part time basis. And the new year is going to be full of surprises for me because I'm having some surgery done again too re-inflate my partially collapsed left lung and to drain the fluid that's causing the pulmonary effusion..

My Lung doctor told me that they have to do this because they don't want me to have pre-cardial pleural effusion next so they're going to nip it in the bud before it gets worse,,, And if all goes well and I regain my breathing capacity, I'll be preparing myself to get ready for reentering the work force hopefully one day soon or at the very least, be able to run around enough to play a game of touch football or a pick up game of basketball, and I'll know for sure that I'm back when I'm able to play a game of paddleball or even just handball... Back to reality because for now that's as far into the future I want to think about and I'm praying that it will become a reality one day.:grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-25-2014 22:43
We're all pulling for you Henry! I hope everything goes in your favor and the outcome is better than you expect it to be.

As for the discoloration of the weld root surface; swab the ID of the pipe with a cotton swab soaked in isopropyl alcohol. if the ID is contaminated it should show up on the cotton swab. I seen this several times and in each case the "cure" was to clean the ID before welding.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-01-2014 19:53
Supplier had us ship back tubes to them for possible additional cleaning.  Subsequent runs of pipe have not exhibited any greenish tint and all heat tint has been removed.

Thanks for your concern Henry.  I don't believe handball or touch football will ever be in my future, but I'm so thankful for the Lord's blessings and to be back to work... and that the company I work for is very caring and supportive.  Also grateful that you're still active on the forum.  I have benefited greatfully for your knowledge, experience and library of shared resources.  Please keep us all updated on your progress, you have many friends and supporters here that are praying for you.

Back to the tubes, I'll post any findings.

Robert
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-01-2014 21:34
Take care of yourself Henry. We need you around here.
- By jef1 Date 12-02-2014 20:35
I have seen the same thing on ASTM A36 plate before.  The plate was contaminated with a saw blade used to cut brass directly before the plate was cut.  It took quite a bit of investigation to figure out the problem.  Check with your supplier to make sure they don't cross contaminate their material.  You wouln't think anyone would be dumb but it happens.

Good luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW root appearance