Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ocv help
- - By Nomadwelding Date 12-03-2014 03:58
I've searched every thread about ocv's and couldn't find a answer so here we go. I have a 1988 sa350D cdn (the cdn stands for "canadian"). My puddle was very "watery" running down hill on the fill and cap, checked the ocv's and they were 101. Took it in to get looked at and they found the rack was rolled to the soft side so they put it back to factory and lowered the rpm's to get the ocv's down to 93.they also stoned the armature cause it was glazed and checked the brushes. Brought it home ran a cap around a pipe first one was better then before but after the first weld it welnt back to a watery cap and started to break arc on the way down. Went out checked the ocv's again and I was down at 78-83v after about 10 minutes of running.is that normal? It won't stack at all and the puddle is running over my rod it's so watery. Even if I turn my amps way down its still very watery. I'm hoping some of you guys have some ideas cause I'm stumped. I spent the day cleaning and replacing every connection I could and replacing any ratty wiring and it didnt seem to help
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2014 13:45
OCV, open circuit voltage, has more to do with initiating the arc than anything else. I was under the impression that the maximum OCV was between 80 and 84 volts to ensure the welder does not get a shock every time a new electrode is placed in the electrode holder.

The arc voltage is the voltage drop across the arc while the welder is welding. The longer the arc, the higher the arc voltage. The bigger the arc length, the more voltage is required for the arc to "jump" the gap.

The relationship between the arc voltage and the welding current is described by the slope of the volt/ampere curve when the relationship is plotted on a graph. In this case, using a constant current power supply, the longer the arc length, the higher the arc voltage, the lower the welding current. The shorter the arc length, the lower the arc voltage, the higher the welding current.

Depending on the electrode classification and the diameter, there is a "sweet spot" for both arc voltage and welding current. The fluidity of the weld pool and flux is a function of the composition of the electrode covering. Changes in composition can affect the penetration, fluidity, and temperature at which the flux solidifies.

Electrodes that employ a cellulous based flux typically have higher arc voltages than do those with limestone based flux coverings.

Without seeing exactly what you are up against, it tough to actually say what your problem is.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-03-2014 17:42
On some older welders isn't an OCV setting used as a method of accomplishing slope changes?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2014 17:55
Some machines use a "Range" selector to vary the slope. It varied the OCV, but not the arc voltage.

I believe the Lincoln SA600 used to have a selector for small, medium, and large electrodes. I believe that selector changed the slope. The problem is, most welder have not be informed what slope is or how it influences operating characteristics.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ocv help