Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6GR Root Pass..
- - By noremac (*) Date 12-12-2014 05:47
Anyone have any suggestions or tips for taking a 6GR test and getting the root pass in there good?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2014 13:43
Practice.  Then,  go practice.  Then, when you think you got it...practice. 

Some of the guys who regularly contribute are experts extraordinaire on that procedure. 

AAWWW, but wait... which code are you dealing with?  And which process are you using?  Give us a few more details.  I assumed something upon my first read of your question and realized I could be way off...other than...practice being good advice.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By noremac (*) Date 12-18-2014 05:33
I was in somewhat of a rush when posting this, and it turns out I left out a few key details..lol.. This will be a stick welded with 6010, structural test for a ship yard.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-18-2014 12:52
Aw Yah, 

I knew it.  My mind went to D1.1 because that is my #1 go to over 95% of the time.  Then, it occurred to me, dumbie, a lot of 6GR is done to pipe codes, ASME codes, etc and not D1.1. 

Thanks for the clarification.

UUMMM, Yeah, so...Practice, Practice, and then, Practice some more.

Now, I presume, no backing.  6010...all the way out? or with 7018 fill and cap? 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 12-18-2014 19:18
I would say the most important thing you could do (other than practice, practice, and practice some more) is to make sure that you have the right gap, land, and bevel angles. Get these just right and a monkey could run it in there. Get one of these wrong and you are in for a long, hard battle. There's nothing like a sweet fit-up, a good running machine, and the smell of 5P in the morning...
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-18-2014 19:28
So true.  Good points.  More critical with pipe than in D1.1 with a backing and much more forgiveness of angles and gap.

Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-18-2014 21:18
Are you allowed to use a mirror?
Never physically taken the test, but saw the setup once for a 10" GMAW all the way (Bucyrus Erie dragline boom test. GMAW short circuit on heavy wall pipe takes some getting used to). I put on a hood and could only see the joint with one eye.
I would want to use a pipeliner's pancake or leather sock hood
Parent - - By noremac (*) Date 12-18-2014 22:08
6010 open root, 7018 fill and cap.. The joint position isn't really any concern to me I weld pipe all day. It's just that I've never done one with the restrictor ring/plate, also as most of you know that with the 6gr, one pipe is beveled and one isn't.. That's my main concern.. I'm probably going to go with a slightly bigger root gap so I have enough room to get in there.. Maybe somewhere right in between 3/32 and 1/8?
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 12-20-2014 01:48
This is a great test. Aim the root at the heavier non - beveled (smaller ID) pipe a bit thinking structural weld style heavy root. Restrictor plate in a cramped area is my experience and it's a real bear.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6GR Root Pass..