Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stress relief vrs peening vrs both
- - By weldgrunt Date 12-16-2014 23:34 Edited 12-16-2014 23:44
If on A36 2"+
If welded with 70c flux core wire
If entire part is currently stress relieved in an oven.
Is one superior, or can be benefit gained from using a mechanical peening process with current stress relief?
If yes how much?
Read the short explanation on stress relief on this site but it didn't discuss the use of these two processes in combination.

Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2014 00:45
Weldgrunt,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I would challenge you to go up to the 'Search' function at the top bar of this page and check out the results.  There is a great link posted by Henry from a paper by the recently deceased Prof. Crisi.  There are also several other posts that will pop up dealing with several forms of stress relief with comments from several of our experts on the forum.  Instead of trying to list them all here I would ask you to try it and see what you get.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By weldgrunt Date 12-17-2014 21:25
If the articles have good info, but have not discussed the use of both in tandem will you still answer my question?

If this isn't for a real job and a question that was posed just out of curiosity and maybe a bet. Would that make it easier to answer the question?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2014 22:16 Edited 12-17-2014 22:23
The use of two stress relieving operations in tandem can be either positive or negative.  It will depend upon the desired end results and exactly how one applies the process. 

As to bringing up curiosity, mine would be why one would bother to use peening after PWHT in the form of stress relieving.  There are cautions in more references than just the D1.1 code about using peening on cover passes, especially since we are not talking about cast iron or other special materials where it is used successfully to control shrinkage differences between the base material and the filler material. 

When looking to stress relief, the end result of a properly run heating process is far superior than peening for end product quality.  You get grain boundaries restored with carbon and other alloying elements equally distributed reducing the heat effected zone to pretty close to zero.

But how the structure was assembled at fit up and welded out will determine the type of stresses being dealt with and what type of distortion may be encountered during an oven stress relieving process. 

Peening will aid more in distortion control during welding while PWHT stress relieving will aid more in a total weldment stress relief after the work is complete.

Both are generally more of an engineering consideration taken away from most fabricators, but if this is a curiosity question with no actual job associated with it and no codes and/or engineers involved then my choice would still be to say PWHT and skip any ideas of peening.  Few welders have the knowledge and experience, let alone tools (peening is not properly accomplished with a slag hammer nor any air operated needle scalers or chipping guns) to properly apply peening anyway.  PWHT takes care of any stresses if controlled correctly for the grade, thickness, and weldment configuration far better than peening. 

Finally, we are talking about A36 in approximately 2" (I am assuming that though you added '+' that it is not that much larger or you would have put 3" + or some such thing).  As such, with proper joint configurations and weldment design followed by adequate preheat and the use of recommended filler metals by welders experienced in distortion control without severely restraining the joint and thus building in stresses you should not have a great deal of stress relief that should be required to have a functional product.  But, since we are talking hypothetical situations on a bet just to see who has their metallurgy figured out the best, I vote for PWHT and skip the peening.  And, don't peen roots and cover passes either way.  Usually causes or at least covers up more problems than it solves.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent

PS, nothing makes it easier to answer anyone's question.  This is a volunteer forum with only personal opinions offered and our time is often wasted answering repeated questions that can be easily researched.  Many of those with posts found when searching for 'stress relief' are far more competent in this subject than I.  And many of the links posted give enough detail that while they may not have specifically answered your question of using two methods or one over the other they would lead a person to make their own best decision for their particular application.  Some pretty good reading if you only covered the first page of results and followed the links.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-18-2014 03:07
what are you trying to gain, distortion control or stress relief.

The simple answer is that heat treatment and VRS will probably both get you your reqresuite stress relief as measurable by hardness or residual stress measurement. Peening will help wit distortion control.

As in terms of combinations, it's probably one of those questions in terms of what you are going for, fastest, cheapest, lowest distortion etc.  I've not read much research on VSR or peening in conjunction with traditional PWHT so I can't say I've heard of it being better one way or the other. As an engineer I would probably find what works based on cost and stick with that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stress relief vrs peening vrs both