Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Boilermaker Local 107 Trainning
- - By dmandavid Date 12-17-2014 01:46
I hope this is the place to post my question. Ive been accepted in to the Boilermaker union 107 in brook field Wisconsin as a apprentice. My question is what is training like at this union? Is the teachers and staff helpful? Do journeymen that you train with actually train or help your do what your were taught your or throw you into the fire and your expected to figure it out on your own? I have a learning disability which causes me to learn at a slower rate than others. Been like this since childhood I struggled alot in school because of it. Because of my learning disability I was let go from a job even though I told them about it. Because of this experience and even with my current job its a struggle to pick things up fast and my co workers question if I'm actually gonna get it which I do it just takes me longer to get it. I do want to take this step and join a union which I heard is the best with education and of course pay plus you got a union to back you up but before I take this step I want to learn more about about this union I am getting into.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2014 02:48
David, (I presume?)

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I haven't been IN the Boilermakers Union for a good many years.  But, when I was, it had an excellent apprenticeship program and for the most part I hear it is probably even better now. 

I was originally in Local 72 in Portland, OR and don't know anyone out of your area.  But, I have met their national President and several other current members and they all seem like pretty good people.  And MOST are willing to help others.

Now, you will find some with bad attitudes and little to no patience.  Many will expect you to learn quickly.  Try not to over-emphasize your disability.  But let them know you need repeat instructions and help to get it in place in your brain and understand it's application. 

Overall it is a good program.  There are others here with more recent involvement with them.  Good luck.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Boilermaker Local 107 Trainning