Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Alloy 20 to Carbon Steel Welding
- - By tayyabeme Date 12-17-2014 10:33
We want to upgrade nozzle material of sulphuric acid outlet nozzle from CS to Alloy 20. For that we need to weld a Alloy 20 to A-36.

Please share your experience with such welds.

I am unable to find any reference related to such dissimilar welds.
Attachment: Weldingarrangement.JPG - Details of material and weld configuration (70k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2014 14:57
Tayyabeme,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, I see you used the search function and dragged out an old post dealing with similar application.  Please, only post your question once.  It will be much easier to get an answer when all the responses are focused on one thread.  And thank you for doing some of your own research.

Do any of the links in the thread you pulled back to life answer your question?  Seems like Henry posted some good links that should have taken care of it.

Is there anything else you still need to know?  Hard to get very specific without more information.  After reading Henry's links you should be able to get more specific with any further questions so we could be of more help.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By tayyabeme Date 12-18-2014 04:05
I apologize for that. I have recently joined the forum. When I was posting, I was not sure if every member would get a notification about a post threaded inside a discussion. That is why I started a new discussion as well. However I have removed my comment on the other thread.

I have gone through Henry's posted links, but could not find guidelines related to dissimilar welding between Alloy 20 and A-36.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-18-2014 12:58
No need to apologize, it happens all the time, even some of our regulars.  It really doesn't get a faster response and can instead get rather confusing. 

Thanks for the pic.

Sorry you couldn't find anything applicable.

Hopefully some of the guys who deal with those specific situations will contribute here shortly.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By J.W. (*) Date 12-18-2014 02:24
Did a lot of work at a sulfuric acid plant and we used inco 82. I could better answer you tomorrow when I get back to work. The inco82 held up to the corrosion and heat used when dealing with sulfuric acid.
Parent - - By tayyabeme Date 12-18-2014 05:30
Please refer attachment for further details of weld joint and base materials.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-18-2014 18:21
The suggestions for filler on this are thus far fine. Really, stop and think. Corrosion is not an issue for a nickel weldment or the Alloy 20 since you are welding to carbon steel. All you need do is really stay away from SS's that could cause embrittlement.
Parent - - By J.W. (*) Date 12-18-2014 18:39
The company I work for we have a P45/P1-GTSM WPS. GTAW we use ERNiCr-3 see (ASME SECT.II PART "C" SFA5.14 A7.3) and for SMAW ENiCrFe-3. Inco 82 in used for dissimilar welding of nickel-base alloys, and for joining steel to stainless steel or nickel-base alloys using the GTAW, GMAW, SAW, and PAW processes.
Hope this help.

J.W.
Parent - By tayyabeme Date 12-19-2014 04:07
Thank you so much. Now I have a line of action to work on. Thanks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Alloy 20 to Carbon Steel Welding