Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Question on GMAW cert
- - By Johny Bravo Date 12-23-2014 06:01
My class will come to an end mid-January and I will be testing MIG in the 2F position for my AWS Cert. I want to know if AWS offers a vertical or overhead cert for MIG (GMAW) if anyone has the answer id appreciate it. Now lets keep on weldin'!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-23-2014 18:03
Johny,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

You did not specify, which mode of transfer?

I am going to GUESS and even ASSUME that you are using GMAW Spray Arc Transfer; high voltage and shielding gas with 80% Ar or higher (I prefer 90/10 Ar/CO2). 

Now, if my assumption is correct, then NO there is no test for vertical or overhead.  Spray arc GMAW is not able to be used out of position.  Horizontal will basically be supported by material that is not part of the molten weld pool. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-23-2014 20:31
Hey Johnny.
To get an "AWS welding certification", you demonstrate the ability to follow an approved welding procedure specification.
Individuals certify to AWS to use a welding or brazing process, with some variations like transfer mode, position and thickness.
There are thousands of different combinations of welding processes and parameters that a person can "Certify" to.
AWS is only one of the certifying Codes. There are many others.
Basically, if you can weld, braze or fuse it, you can "Certify" to do it.

GMAW or "MIG" has different transfer modes (the way the filler metal transfers across the arc and into the weld puddle).
Short Cirtuiting GMAW certification is separate from, Spray, Pulse and Globular.
Other certification options are based on material, filler metal, position, thickness, joint type, etc.

Lots and lots of variables.

Welcome to the welding world!
Just remember that a Real Welder doesn't flinch when burned, but finishes the weld before putting the fire out!
Learn to read the puddle to make good welds, and always fix your own mistakes.

Tim
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 12-25-2014 04:30
I'm going to have to take exception to the "a Real Welder doesn't flinch when burned, but finishes the weld before putting the fire out" statement there, brother. I have one rather large scar from trying to be a tough guy. Safety first.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-25-2014 21:14
My scar is older than your scar....
No I did not flinch... I screamed and did a break dance routine like a muskie on meth in the boat!
- By 803056 (*****) Date 12-24-2014 03:48
I can't say it any better than has already been said.

Merry Christmas!

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Question on GMAW cert