Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Can i use roofing tile as surface for brazing?
- - By xchcui (*) Date 12-29-2014 19:24
Hi.

Can i use roofing tile as work surface  for silver brazing(with mapp,butan...) as substitute to fire bricks.
As far as i know the roofing tile is made of clay and there are also fire bricks made of clay.
So i wonder if is it safe to use roofing tile as a work surface?

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-29-2014 20:46
xchcui,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

My first question would be 'how far are you from the surface you are attempting to protect?'

Fire bricks are generally thicker and have other fire resistant materials fabricated into them.  They absorb more heat and resist breakage from heat.  Not so with the roofing tiles. 

My first response in answering your question is a simple 'No, they are not safe as a substitute for fire bricks'.   But there may be additional factors, considerations, and working conditions that I am unaware of.

It also depends upon if you are doing work for your own property or as a commercial contractor.  Contractors generally have plans, codes and regulations to go by that a home owner does not.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By xchcui (*) Date 12-30-2014 14:04
Hi Brent.
Thanks for your response.

I am attempting to put the roofing tile on the desk and on the roofing tile i would like to put the items that i am going to braze.
So the heat from the mapp(butan etc) is going to hit directly on the item and the roofing tile.
I am doing that for my own property and once in a while.
Since i am doing that once in a while and only for my own property,i prefer to use a roofing tiles(which i already have some) instead of buying fire brick .
I read some where in the web that using a paver(which made of concrete)as a work-surface for brazing,may be danger,as the heat could make the paver to splash pieces from it,all over.(this is the reason that i post my question about the roofing tile,though i don't know if it is true,that the paver react like that)
The roofing tile is not made of concrete,but i would like to confirm that it is ok. to use the roofing tile and there isn't any danger to use it(like the spalsh pieces from it).
What's the wrost that can happen?
The desk under the roofing tile will scorched?
The roofing file will break?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-30-2014 16:40
Since it is for yourself, take one tile and take your Mapp torch to it.  See what it does. 

Even if it breaks, remember, while brazing/soldering you will have the heat directed at the part not the tile so it won't be as extreme as the test. 

Concrete will pop because of the expansion of the moisture in it and then the concrete and rocks also expand at different rates at the temperatures involved when burning with a torch and getting molten steel dropping down in a small area.  Can be somewhat dangerous.  IN MY OPINION you should not have the same type of situation with either bricks or roofing tiles. That will depend upon the exact composition of the pavers/bricks and the roofing tiles.  But, try it out.  Put on your full face shield, safety glasses, work gloves, ear protection and hard hat, not to mention good heavy clothing.  Then put some heat to a tile and see what it does.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By xchcui (*) Date 01-01-2015 12:10
I assume that i can check and see what it does.
But my main interest was to prevent from myself the need to do that dangerous test and risk myself by asking someone with experience about that.
Besides that,the tile could pass the test(while i will think that everything is okay)but later it could,suddenly,pop.
So,i prefer to ask someone that have experience with that issue.
I am not worry that it will break or be too hot and burn the desk under it.
My main concern is:if it could pop and cause injury?
Your answers are very informative and now i understand,why i may not use pavers for brazing, but since i,also,dont have all the necessary safety equipment for the tile test(and buying them will cost me more than the fire break),it will be very helpful to get definite answer,if it can be dangerous or not.(maybe someone had been tried that before or maybe used on other pottery clay like piece of pottery jug)?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-01-2015 14:19
The only thing I would consider to be an optional piece of equipment would be the hard hat.  But protecting one's head is important when doing a test with unknown results. 

The tile should not 'pop'.  Should only break.  Not at all like the concrete.  This is why managers get upset when labor cuts right down at floor level with the hot molten slag concentrating in one small area of the floor and 'popping' the concrete.  It is both destructive and dangerous.  Put the work up on a table or stands of some sort and still put a protective cover of some kind on the floor.  Burn tables with a catch tray underneath so the hot slag is trapped above the floor are preferable but not always possible.  Even self made ones are not cheap. 

But, back to your situation.  Even if I had ever used tiles as a shield I could not accurately answer your question.  How do I know for sure if your tiles are ceramic or clay?  How do I know the exact age and composition of your tiles?  How do I know exactly how you are going to accomplish the work?

That's why I say take one tile and see what the heat does.  The test on one piece of tile will not be that dangerous.  Nothing to be avoided for safety purposes.  If this cannot be accomplished because of safety equipment how do you intend to accomplish the work itself.  A face shield, gloves, safety glasses, and good work clothes should be a minimum for your work equipment for either testing or brazing. 

Man, at least take the tile and stand around a corner or behind some protective barrier and heat it up in a simulation of the work.  And again, remember, when doing the work, the heat will not be concentrated on the tile.  It will be on the work piece.  You are just trying to absorb or deflect heat from your other items. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  HAPPY NEW YEAR,  Brent
Parent - - By xchcui (*) Date 01-03-2015 19:01 Edited 01-04-2015 12:40
Thank you very much for your answer.
Your explanations help me to understand better the issue and i,also,understood why you can't give me accurately answer.
But the most important thing is to know,that the tile should not 'pop' and i feel more confidence to check it.
By the way how much time should i heat the tile up?(while i am testing it).
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-06-2015 08:42 Edited 01-06-2015 09:00
Brent wrote: "remember, when doing the work, the heat will not be concentrated on the tile.  It will be on the work piece.  You are just trying to absorb or deflect heat from your other items."
There is your answer to your question regarding how long you should heat the tole which is what you really want to avoid as much as possible... Once again, the heat is to be concentrated on the workpiece - NOT the tile - CAPECHE?:eek::roll::grin::cool:

I know what I'm about to write isn't something you really want to read but, I will always try to educate, and remind anyone that attempts to perform work that can potentially lead to an accident and injury so here goes anyway... Heck! Why don't you just use Fire brick instead? One cannot be frugal when it comes to making sure you have the proper equipment and materials in order to establish the safest possible work environment and should always be your first priority! More accidents are caused because of a lack of adhering to making sure the work environment is protected from any and all potential sources to result in causing an accident that can lead to a potential injury... Safety must always be your first priority or else you may end up seriously injured and will no longer be able to perform anymore work depending on how severe the results are when working in an unsafe environment... Use the right tool for the job and use the proper safety equipment as Brent previously mentioned in order to avoid any potential problems so the job can be completed in an effective and SAFE manner! SAFETY SHOULD ALWAYS YOUR FIRST PRIORITY instead of saving a few bucks.:grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By xchcui (*) Date 01-10-2015 14:10
Hi Henry.

Yes i understood that the heat should not be concentrated on the tile but on the workpiece(when doing the work),but if it is a small item,it seems that it will be,i guess,a small direct heat on the tile.
Regard to the safety issue,My question was asked especial because that the safety is my first priority.
If there was a tiny possibilty that the tile will pop and can cause an injury,i would not use it,but i understand that roofing tile that made of clay is safe,since it will not pop,but only can break.

Thanks for your help
and your warning.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Can i use roofing tile as surface for brazing?