Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CJP square groove?
- - By cwi-cws (*) Date 01-01-2015 03:18
I need to know if anyone knows of anything in ASME or API  that would accept a CJP Square groove on 1/2" thick plate. I have a customer who wants to do plate rolling with a vertical roll and then complete a vertical up pulse weld from both sides of the plate at the same time without any bevel prep. I know what all the AWS codes state, Just wanted to check with tank and vessel codes.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-01-2015 17:43
Just kinda curious, so, what do ALL the AWS codes state?  Are we talking about D1.1, D1.2, D1.3, D1.4, D1.5, D1.6, D1.8, D14 series, D15 series, and/or one of their other codes?  Not exactly sure why it matters what ALL the AWS codes say?  It really doesn't matter what any except the applicable one says.  And quite frankly, they don't all say the same thing. 

You did not mention the material specs so I'm just curious.  Stainless, Aluminum, other alloys, structural steels? 

But, overall, regardless of the code, you can do anything you want as long as you prove it can be accomplished successfully to the applicable code through the PQR system with appropriate testing of coupons for tensile, maybe CVN, macro-etch, yields, etc.  All dependent upon the job specs and codes. 

And I am truly curious as to how you are interpreting the applicable code as to just what exactly the AWS code does say about your joint?

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-01-2015 21:43
"Show me."

That is the best approach if there are questions regarding whether the resulting welds will meet the applicable codes.

Al
Parent - - By cwi-cws (*) Date 01-02-2015 18:29
A sales rep. told the customer they could weld A36 plate 1/2 inch thick from both sides without backgouging,  Salesman did not give them a process of Gmaw or Fcaw. But,  They were nice enough to talk them into two Lincoln high end pulse weld machines and left them to figure out the rest! I know D1.1 figure 3.4 - prequalified cjp joint designation B-L1b-GF  requires backgouge. This company is very green and QC dept. wouldn't know the first step to qual. a procedure. The welds would not be done to D1.1, It would be API or ASME.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-02-2015 18:44
Most codes will allow the contractor to do as they please if they can demonstrate the proposed procedure produces welds that meet the requirements of the applicable welding standard.

The preliminary procedure should replicate the production conditions as close as practical.

There is a difference between what is permitted by the welding standard and meeting real world production needs. Replicating the production requirements and then demonstrating the ability of meeting the test results required by the welding standard is the easiest means of ensuring both the code and the application are met. 

Good luck - Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2015 19:31
I ran into that with a company who wanted to do 3/8" plate square grove, butted up with zero root opening using an E7024 on both sides....uggh.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-02-2015 20:53
That's a pretty ambitious joint for GMAW of any sort... even more so vertical.

SAW can do a CJP square butt, single pass from on side very consistently on 1/2" thick base metal with current available technology.

I'm pretty skeptical about GMAW doing that vertically without back gouge.

I know those "high end" Lincoln pulse machines very well, and they can do a bunch of wonderful things in my opinion.  However, what you are talking about I would have to see before I could believe.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-02-2015 22:27
Welding a mockup of the joint in question would conclude the discussion pretty quickly.

Never say never, just say "show me."

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CJP square groove?