Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Purchasing Borescope
- - By swift (*) Date 03-22-2003 01:10
Can someone help with offering some advice on a brand or model that has performed well. Typical anticipated use would be pipe welds with several 90 degree elbows. Typical sizes would range from 1/2" tube to 5" pipe. I think a 10 ft reach would be sufficient, as the operator could reach form both ends. Being capable of capturing a digital image would be a nice added feature.

In addition, is there any special training needed to use it as an inspection tool? Is there any Certifications required by any of the various Codes?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-22-2003 07:24
$.

Tried to buy one last year, specifically for one project. This seems to be a specialty item and service in these parts (So Cal).

Can be obtained used and new, but you can spend lot's of the above.
Parent - By rpoche (*) Date 03-23-2003 00:44
Look up this website and e-mail Richard on your needs. He has a lot of used Borescopes and can advise you on your needs.

http://www.testndt.com/catalog.php

I believe a 10' reach will set you back some $$.

Good Luck.
Parent - By Dave (**) Date 03-23-2003 12:19
You can try Ebay as well...you can find almost anything there!
Parent - By Atlas Inspect Date 08-02-2004 23:46
I have had very good luck with both Olympus videoscopes and EVIT videoprobes. You'll probably need to go with a 6mm OD to make it through a couple of 90s on 1/2" id. 8mm is typically preferred if you have the room in the tube as it offers more light and insertability. You'll want a wide angle direct view tip (120 degree) with near focus capability for your small diameter tube and a side view with near focus capability. You'll want 80 degree far focus direct and side for your larger pipe as the near focus lenses will be too dark. We offer this equipment for rental www.atlas-inspection.com and resale. Let me know if I can offer further comment.

Darren
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Purchasing Borescope