Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Esab 7100 Ultra vs. Kobelco Frontiarc 711
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-10-2015 17:19
I'm going to evaluate a shop that uses FCAW  Frontiarc-711 in .045 with AR CO2 mix. I am familiar with most flux cored wires, Esab, Lincoln, etc. I have never used a Kobelco product. If you have experience with the Frontiarc-711 please tell me of the good and the bad.

There product line consists of mild steel 1/2" minimum up to 2" most of which is 3/4" and 1". My experience with these thicknesses has been to use 1/16" wire and straight CO2. As I mentioned above, they use a mixed gas and .045. Am I thinking correctly in purposing that they may want to move up in wire size and change to CO2. Since I am unfamiliar with Frontiarc-711 maybe they have it right.

Please comment if you have knowledge of this Kobelco wire.

Dennis
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-10-2015 18:54
There are a number of manufacturers supplying quality electrodes. The secret in my opinion is whether the contractor using the electrode is using the correct welding parameters.

I would check the manufacturer's web site to see what welding parameters are recommended and verify the contractor is using the parameters that are recommended. If the contractor is using parameters outside those recommended, i.e., voltage, wire feed speed, electrode extension, and shielding gas, ask to see test results indicating the mechanical properties meet the requirements of the applicable code.

You didn't specify what welding standard is invoked by the customer, so it difficult to provide code specific direction.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-10-2015 21:23
Al,

The company is a manufacturer of propritary equipment. To my knowledge they follow no code. I'm charged with training welder operators in thenique. I have a copy of the parameters and I will use them. I'm looking for somebody that has used the specific wire mentioned in my post so that I can rule out any unforseen problems.

Thanks Dennis
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-10-2015 20:26
Hello Dennis, just from the description and not taking into account codes etc. often times the choice for smaller diameter wire and a wire that is shielded with Ar/Co2 is due to ease of use (particularly if there is a lot of out-of-position work involved) and less clean-up. Although most of the Co2 shielded wires today are very good about spatter issues there is still the operator skill issue. Possibly the workers are resistant to change and management hasn't made the decision to push the implementation issue. Just a few thoughts. Good luck and regards, Allan
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-10-2015 21:15
Gentlemen,

The help I'm looking for is if you specifically have experience with the Korbelco wire. I havent been to the shop I'm going to review as of this writting. CO2 is cheaper than mixed gas and 1/16" put down a larger weld faster than does .045. I apprieciate you comments.

Dennis
Parent - By J.W. (*) Date 01-10-2015 22:22
Dennis,
Korbelco wire runs fine with 25ar/75co2 or straight CO2. When I was welding I like .045 wire better. Your can train your welders better in all positions with .045. If your training people to just weld flat only then 1/16" want hurt. Every welder will have his own personal opinion on how he or she welds. Giving them tools to use and the knowledge to get started is very important.  So thank you for teaching the next generation of welders.

J.W.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-10-2015 22:37 Edited 01-10-2015 22:39
Hello dschlotz,

You must be pretty busy since I haven't seen you post in a while... Kobelco welding filler wire is probably one of the best CO2 or Ar/Co2 mixed gas FCAW wire out in the market today and has been for some time now... It's an excellent wire that runs as smooth as a baby's behind IMHO... If I were to choose between the Kobelco and the ESAB it would come down to availability and cost factor but if expense isn't an issue, then hands down it would be the Kobelco... The only difference in shielding gas choice is this... With mixed gas of75%Ar/25%CO2, the voltage should be turned down 2 volts than what is listed as suggested welding voltage and current to stay the same... The Japanese have perfected CO2 welding with FCAW or GMAW...

I would give a slight edge towards ESAB should we be limited to use the mixed gas exclusively... I have used both brands in a variety of situations and they're both excellent with respect to weldability, and the choice to make between the 2 should be based on the factors I listed above as well as consideration being given to service conditions, and project specifications and in order to make a choice based on the better overall weld quality by welding some samples of both brands... And then run the Macro's, and Mechanicals to evaluate and to help make your final decision... Good luck and I hope this helps. 

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-11-2015 23:02
Henry,
Thanks for noticing. I have been pretty busy in my retirement. I reviewed some photos for a client, and am getting ready to go and see if I can help them improve their skills.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Esab 7100 Ultra vs. Kobelco Frontiarc 711