Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How Is Cross Country Pipe Typically Flushed
- - By Blaster (***) Date 01-13-2015 17:40
How Is Cross Country Pipe Typically Flushed after welding?
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-13-2015 18:35
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-14-2015 02:27
Thanks that is perfect!
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-11-2015 21:02
This is a bit long winded.

It isn't really flushed, it's scrubbed. Hydo fill, drain will take some material out but cleaning is not it's purpose.

Transmission lines are laid on a production basis, ie the front end (pipe gang) lays all pipe that doesn't call for a road bore, creek/river crossing, PI (pipe intersection), or any other obstructions that will slow down the pipe gang. They are on a mad dash to lay as many joints as possible per day.
The pipe gang consists of a large group of people. Some buffing ahead, some preheating, several tractor drivers on side booms and tack rigs (crawler tractor with several mounted welding machines), several laborers throwing skids, the bead hands (putting in the root pass), hot pass hands, hot filler hands, inspectors on all phases. All of the above is a well oiled machine and moves as swiftly as possible with little or no wasted movement.
The front end has to leave a break in the pipe wherever there is a forementioned road bore, creek/river crossing, PI, etc (they don't lay slow moving sections, their job is high production).
They also have to leave a break in the line even on long straight sections because the crawler (internal tracked X-Ray machine) can only travel so far without new batteries. Plus temperature variations will cause the pipe to grow (or shrink) enough to come off the skids.
That means that the line pipe is in sections of various lengths. After the pipe gang, comes the firing line which welds out the joints partially welded by the pipe gang. The pipe gang welders walk, and weld off the tack rigs. The firing line works off their welding rig. Tie in and Lowering in tie in welders work off their welding rig. Tie in welders make tie ins at those road bore/crossings/PI's/etc. They leave the pipe in sections that can be hydro tested/pigged. Lowering in tie ins lowers the pipe into the ditch and the welders make tie ins for them, still leaving the line in sections for testing.
At test time, welders will weld test headers onto both ends of the pipe section to be tested. Hydro is then commenced. After hydro the sections may be pigged as they are, or tied together to pig longer sections.
After hydro, the test headers are cut off and fabricated pig launchers and receivers are welded on.
First pigs run are almost always scrubber pigs with aggressive wire brushes to remove rust, slag, dirt and debris. The owner or owners inspection makes the determination on how many pigs of each type are run. Pigs are inserted at the upstream end via the pig launcher, and driven by massive amounts of air pressure till they plop out at the pig receiver.
When the owners rep is happy with the scrubber pig process, they will start to run foam pigs for further cleaning, when happy with that process they will run drying pigs. Owners rep will often check the dewpoint inside the pipe to determine acceptable dryness. This is very important in natural gas and other service.
Drying pigs may be run for some time. It's not unusual to run several hundred pigs thru a section before approval.
At that point the section can be tied in to the next, assuming it has been properly pigged.
This process continues down the line until all is good, clean, dry and happy.
Final tie ins are made (usually hot) and viola, the line is now in service.

Smart pigs are run thru in-service lines, they usually use UT technology to identify dents, bulges, cracks and wall thickness reductions due to corrosion (internal or external), pits, and other anomolies. Those are than analized and dug up and repaired where necessary.

J
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-11-2015 23:30
JTMcC ........Not long winded at all buddy .... Very informative , sounds like alot of stuff going on all at once. Never was on a pipe job of such a large scale/ magnitude .....Hopefully someday......and hopefully your passing down your experience/ knowledge to guys looking to excel in this field!!!!!!!:cool:
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-12-2015 01:21
Wow thanks J for such a thorough description.  That was real informative.  Several hundred pig runs?!  Wow, I had no idea.  Thanks for sharing all that!
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-12-2015 12:51
Excellent clear and incisive answer! Not at all "long-winded"!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-12-2015 14:08
Definitely not long winded, very to the point! Thanks for that response JTMcC. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-12-2015 14:46
Excellent!

Al
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-12-2015 21:54
Several hundred is top end, but not unusual, 70 to 125 maybe more mid range, just depends on the conditions.

Some owners are pretty particular about moisture content.

As an aside, the biggest problem under hydro these days, has been longitudinal pipe seams coming unhinged. Thank you china. Rarely seen on line pipe from American mills (who are working at max capacity, otherwise the china pipe would not be used). I guess that's why we hydro : ) Proof is in the puddin.

My experience only.

Yes....very long winded.

Hi Brent, yup been busy across the fruited northern frozen wasteland plain, looks like we're gettin' busy close to home now, Lord willing. Those cell towers aren't going to fix themselfs now are they ; ) 

Enjoying the temps above zero. WELL above zero this week.

Where are you keeping busy?

J
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-13-2015 01:13
For your normal it may have been a little long winded John, but not really.  It was very to the point and an excellent description of the process.  Even if you had taken more space it would have been worth it.

I have kept myself mainly at Flagstaff and Phoenix at you know who, as well as Chinle (Canyon de Chelley) and a two week job in Mt Vernon, IL. 

Darrell has been in Phoenix not at you know who as well as WI, AR, TX, OK, MO, IL, LA, MS, and who knows where else on those communications towers.  I doubt if he has been on any you have been on.  The welders are out of MO and we have known them for years.   We have been getting some contacts with the other tower engineers and owners though and hope to make some in roads there. 

The overseas material is well understood, I have told some stories here previously about some pipe I did back when I used to do pipe that came from Korea.  The hydros are fun on small diameter pipe (3-4") when the seams let go at about 1200 psi.  The pipe was specified to have been hydro'd at the manufacturer, came to the supplier, shipped to my job and had 1/8" diameter holes in the seam.  Boy if that didn't cause a stir. 

Hope you get some work close to home.

Brent
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-13-2015 01:23
Schuff is pretty busy huh? All outgoing to SoCal?

"My" towers are all in the Southwest.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-13-2015 02:29
Schuff is busy.  I am working with other inspectors here in AZ with LA Deputy Certs, only 6 of us who live in the state of AZ, all working on this job.  We are working on the Wilshire Grand Hotel.  76 floors, tallest building this side of the Mississippi.  Started over 100' below ground level.  There are pictures on line at Facebook and several other places.  Just Google '900 Wilshire Blvd' if interested (you or anyone else reading this).  This job is being built at 3 of Schuff's 4 AZ shops then shipped to LA.  I was at Phoenix for almost a year before they started working it in Flagstaff as well. 

Plus, we still do a little welding in our spare time  :lol: .  And, just sold the house so have to find another one and get moved. 

Enough of my hijack but thanks for asking JT.  Good to hear from you and glad you have been working as well.

Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-16-2015 20:55
Nice reply!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How Is Cross Country Pipe Typically Flushed