Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Coast Guard Cert.
- - By bullsnbets (**) Date 01-14-2015 15:36
Where's the closest location to Okla. City to get Coast Guard Cert.?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-14-2015 15:49
The U.S. Coast Guard may employ quite a variety of specifications, codes and standards for welding.

If you are a welder, your employer should be dealing with this.

If you are a contractor, this will give you some idea of the scope.
http://www.uscg.mil/sflc/mlclant/vdiv/docs/std_2012/SFLCStdSpec0740.pdf

Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 01-14-2015 16:02
I'm looking for a Test Facility that provides the Certification Test. I'm familiar with the procedures/ requirements. Thank you.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-14-2015 19:40 Edited 01-14-2015 19:42
Hello bullsnbets, I believe that Lawrence is referring to the specific code that you are being required to test to. If you look at his link you'll notice that the scope of work that "could" be involved might include: ABS, ASME, Nav Sea, Mil. Spec., AWS, etc., with this many different codes/standards to choose from you will likely need to be a bit more specific because not all testing facilities test to all of these different codes. You stated that you know the procedures and a lot of other information but you did not specify the particular code. I believe that is what he was asking. To expand on this just a little bit more: if you are the contractor your contract should list the specific codes you need to test to, if you are a sub-contractor to someone else on this job they will need to provide you with the code/codes that will apply to your work. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Coast Guard Cert.