Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Do I need an AA degree to teach welding?
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-15-2015 21:21
Hi guys and girls,
I started my welding career in high school in 1960. I've been working in the field for over 50 years. In 1996 I studied on my own for a year of weekends and took the test for CWI. I scored 90% on the general, 84% on the code and 84% on the practical. I have several current welding certifications and have learned to be proficient in AutoCAD LT, ProWrite nesting software for cad burning, and CEI's software for tracking welders.

I have an opportunity to give back some of my years of experience as a part time instructor at the Junior College level, but I have no AA degree. Do any of you have written president for the value of The CWI Certification, that might equate it with formal education. I really don't want to go back to school at 68, I just want to teach.

If you have a documented work around I would like to have a copy. Even in California, where I live, it might weigh heavy on their decision as to whether or not to wave the degree and accept the experience.

Thanks Dennis
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-15-2015 21:39
It depends on whether you are teaching in a public or private setting and where you reside.

There are many welding instructors without degrees, but usually, if the school grants a degree of any type, the instructor needs a credential. If the instructor lacks the proper credentials, the school usually requires the credential to be earned within a certain time frame.

Many private schools that offers a certificate is not usually bound by the constraints of a public institution.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-16-2015 00:10 Edited 01-16-2015 00:16
Al,
This school is a state junior college, in California. Those in the know seem to think that if I can find a president, where someone else has accepted my type of credentials, in a similar circumstance, I might get a wave. I do have high school and some junior college.

Thanks Dennis
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-15-2015 22:03
Hello Dennis, I believe that states differ on what is the "base" requirement to teach at a state vocation/technical/community college. In Washington state you need to have X number of years of direct involvement in the particular discipline or a minimum of a 2-year degree and X number of years of direct experience. Most schools will advertise that they want more than this minimum but will accept the minimum if the right candidate comes along. K-12 schools are a different animal and actually require higher level degrees, but they also generally require welding instructors to cover other academic classes as well and that's where the bachelors degrees and higher degrees come into play.

Go visit whomever is in the HR department and get the full story on what you need. Don't listen to hearsay from people who might not have all of the correct information. Good luck and best regards, I believe that you would make a terrific instructor for an opportunity such as this. Allan
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-16-2015 00:15
Allan,

I got this from the full time instructor and head of the department. They really want me but they are looking for a way, short of a political appointment. I'm looking for somebody that made it through the maze with their experience and desire. I have both. I want to talk to that guy.

Thanks Dennis
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-16-2015 01:51
We hired some "life time experience" guys but I believe they could only ever be adjunct professors and could only work X hours max a week.  I was an adjunct professor for welding, but I have an engineering degree so it was never brought up.  I think it really depends on school to school and the administration.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-16-2015 15:47
http://extranet.cccco.edu/Portals/1/AA/MinQuals/MinimumQualificationsHandbook2012_2014.pdf

California used to provide a means to prove equivalency by professional hours.

As mentioned before, different states show varying levels of respect for professional experience.

There are many states that will gladly support industry experience (especially for adjunct positions)

You might think about paying a few bucks to the AWS and have them print you out a CWE (certified welding educator) certificate.  Your CWI exam exceeds the requirements anyhow.

Here is an add for a community college in CA. that offers an equivalent to degree
https://careers.insidehighered.com/cerritos-college/full-time-instructor-welding/jobs/628073?
utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Full time faculty welding instructor in a California state prison
http://www.calhr.ca.gov/state-hr-professionals/pages/2396.aspx

Another California Welding Instructor at Community college offering equivalent
https://www.4cdcareers.net/postings/2522

Skyline College in CA really spells out their equivalency program quite well
http://skylinecollege.edu/accreditationselfevaluation/evidence/III.A.%20Evidence/III.A.18%20Faculty%20Equivalency-min%20Quals%20Process%20Approved%209-21-11.pdf

California is a difficult state... Sadly... But if they want you they can do it  :)
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-26-2015 15:23
Lawrence,

I always look forward to your comments. I used all of the links in my presentation to the college. now it's up to them.

Thanks Dennis
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-16-2015 16:26
Go to the post in Technical:

Responsibilities:
Typical instructional assignment will be to provide instruction and training in Welding Technology covering several welding processes. Instruction will cover, but is not limited to, the following welding processes: Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW Plate and Pipe), Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW Plate and Pipe), Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW Plate and Pipe), Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW Plate and Pipe), Oxy-fuel cutting, Plasma Arc cutting, blueprint reading, mathematics for welding, welding inspection and welding metallurgy. Assignments will include participation in the certification process.

Teaching assignment may include day, evening, on-line, hybrid, weekend, and/or off campus classes.

Minimum Qualifications:
1. Have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution completed by August 20, 2015, and two years of related welding experience; OR, have an associate's degree and six years of related welding experience; OR, hold a California Community College Instructor's Credential in Welding Technology; OR, the equivalent.*
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-16-2015 16:31
I have an opportunity to give back some of my years of experience

That is wonderful!  I have always enjoyed teaching those willing to learn.  There is a wealth of "tribal knowledge" that is lost with the passing of each generation.

I admire your goal and willingness to share.

Robert
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Do I need an AA degree to teach welding?