Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Education to teach
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-16-2015 00:03
Hi,
I posted on the Shop Talk board. "Do I need a AA degree to teach"?  Maybe some of you on this board could help me with the answer.

Thanks Dennis
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-16-2015 01:09
For college level, it depends on the state.  In WA the state mandated minimum is just 2 years recent industry experience.  That said, any individual college is free and likely to impose a higher minimum standard for experience and/or education and/or professional credentials. 

A common one is to be a CWI or to be capable of earning the credential within the first year of employment.  Another one, which IMO is silly, is to require a CWE credential.  My hunch is that is mostly done to thin the herd when the institution already has a ringer they want to hire.

In some regions, even though it isn't required, it may be hard to be competitive without at least a Bachelor's degree.  That was what I saw in SoCal.

Depending how the school has their pay scale configured (and every school in a state may be different) you may get reamed on pay with no degrees, or it may not matter too much.  It varies widely.  Additionally, how you progress on the pay scale can vary widely.  Definitely something to check on before accepting a job.
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-16-2015 02:20
Blaster,
Please read my full post on ths Shop Talk Baord.
I need a document that says that some institution accepts my certification as enough.

Dennis
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-16-2015 03:40
Hello Dennis, I did a quick google search and came up with this link. Possibly this may answer many of your questions. I believe that this directly from the California Educational arm and could have the requirements and a pathway that you could pursue. Hope this helps. Good luck and best regards, Allan

http://www.teachcalifornia.org/Steps/Require
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Education to teach