Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / My First Rig Yard!!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-16-2015 04:46
Well, after two years of heavy travel I finally made it to Texas!! Was only there for a day so could not see anything that made me say, "cool" but wanted to see more and get some darn bbq!!

Was out around Mt. Pleasant for a whole day, lol!! Had to hike on over to southern Louisiana after that and jumped on 20 out of Longview headed towards Shreveport and around Louisiana I looked off to my right and low and behold a rig yard! Never seen one before so thought to myself, this is what everybody talks about. Had to chuckle though. They had two standing up and I had to laugh, they were so cute, little things aren't they! What are they, 100-150ft tall? Didn't see anybody around the yard, some trucks off in the back though.

More to come I guess, some stuff around Houston in the future so maybe I'll finally get to try some of that Texas bbq I keep hearing about!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-16-2015 16:14
Lemme know when you get near Houston.

I'll feed you  :)
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-20-2015 04:26
Most guys can't fathom where you've been working, man. Most guys that put those things together wouldn't climb one if their life depended on it.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-20-2015 17:31
Our inspector on the last job came out and asked, "where am I inspecting?". The foreman said, "they didn't tell you?". Inspector says, "no, just said it was a cell tower and handed me a harness". He had one of those cheese bomb harnesses with a single lanyard. :eek::eek:

We told him no climbing for him, he said there was no way he was going to climb! Asked if we would take pictures with his phone. He did ride up in the spider basket though to 220', where the welding started. Everything else was only accessible by climbing. Part of the looney few in the world I guess!! LoL!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-20-2015 18:16
You should tell them you know an inspector with all the right gear, certifications, and no problems with heights.  Darrell (my eldest son) would come take care of it for you.  He has been all over MS, LA, TX, MO, AR, IL, IN on towers doing the inspections.  CWI, ICC SSW, climbing/rescue, etc. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-15-2015 04:31
They only thing about it that could be impressive Shawn is the fargin ridiculous amount of money involved with them...ridiculous bills fixing them and ridiculous money made by using them.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / My First Rig Yard!!