Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Wire Qualification
- - By rdavid1962 (*) Date 01-17-2015 21:00
We have welders who just tested on Lincoln 212 NR .045. Will they also be able to use Coreshield 8? Where in D1.1 is the information on this ?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-17-2015 23:55
Hello rdavid1962, I am pretty sure that if you are trying to apply certifications to a seismic application of D1.1, meaning that the welding is covered under FEMA 353 in conjunction with D1.1, I believe that the certifications are required to be manufacturer specific. In other words, if you test on Coreshield 8(a T8 wire) by ESAB you have to use that wire in the field or on the job. The same would go for any T8 type Lincoln electrode, Hobart electrode, or any other electrode manufacturer of T8 wires that would be used for welding covered under D1.1 Seismic applications. Go to FEMA 353 and read through it. I believe that you will find the verbiage in there to explain how this is designed to work. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2015 01:38
Why is D1.8 being pulled in? I'm confused because the inquiry is in regards to D1.1. Help me out here, I am very confused.

Al
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2015 02:40
Hello Al, I considered his reference to ESAB coreshield 8 and made the mistake of going along those lines. My Bad. I believe that the OP needs to include a lot more information about this question in order to receive the information that he is looking for.

Regardless, qualification with the NR 212 will not suffice for the testing requirements of D1.1 wire classification interchangeability if they plan to run a T8 wire or will it? Am I the one who is wrong? Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2015 03:20 Edited 01-18-2015 03:30
Ya it's me again Al, I am a bit confused as well, I guess. When I looked up the NR 212 it is listed with an AWS E71TG-G designation. So I went about trying to nail down what the G-G portion of the designation was representative of, kind of an odd ball.

I don't have a copy of D1.1 with me right now so I tried to check some information through WABO Standard 27-13 as it is essentially nearly a direct copy of AWS D1.1. Where the T designations are discussed regarding fillers it omits the use of T-2,3,10, and GS, but no mention of G-G anywhere, not even in the acceptable categories. So I guess I would like to be enlightened as well. Thank you and best regards, Allan

the American Welding Society (AWS) classification of Innershield® NR-212 (E71TG-G).  While the "G" in FCAW-G stands for gas shielded (or the “S” in FCAW-S for self-shielded), the "G" in a specific electrode AWS classification stands for “general”.  Therefore, an E71TG-G classification does not mean that it is a gas-shielded electrode.  Typically, a U.S. welding electrode manufacturer (such as Lincoln Electric, etc.) designs an electrode to meet the requirements of a specific, predefined AWS electrode classification, per the appropriate AWS Filler Metal Specification (such as E71T-1, E71T-8, E7018, ER70S-6, etc.).  However, a manufacturer is still free to make a particular electrode that does not meet any predefined AWS classification.  In these cases, it is classified as "general".  Such is the case with Innershield® NR-212, in which the first "G" in the electrode’s AWS number means it has a general usability classification.  Innershield® NR-212 also happens to be a low-alloy electrode (i.e. under AWS A5.29 Filler Metal Specification).  These electrodes have alloy designations in their suffix (i.e. E71T8-K6, E81T1-K2, E81T1-Ni1, etc.).  In the case of Innershield® NR-212, the second “G” is a general alloy suffix classification.  Therefore, E71TG-G is its classification. 

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS FROM LINCOLN ELECTRIC TECHNICAL and in part has led to "MY" confusion.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2015 04:06
My understanding of the letter "G" in place of the 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. in the classification E71T-G means that it simply has not been approve as meeting an AWS classification. As such, it would not be prequalified.

A welder is still qualified to weld with FCAW electrode under D1.1, but the WPS that required the use of NR-212 (E71T-G) is not prequalified and would have to be supported by a PQR qualified in accordance with clause 4.

As for the classification; E71T-1M JH4
E - electrode
7 - 70 ksi UTS
1 - all position
T - tubular electrode
1 - usability group
M - mixed gas
J - meets impact properties
H4 - meet 4 ml[diffusible H] per 100 grams of weld deposit

The letter "G" you are referring to would be located as such: E71T-GM JH4 (if there were such an electrode)

I think we're on the same train of thought.

This information isn't listed in AWS D1.1. You have to go to the filler metal specification, in this case A5.20 which is now changed to A5.36:2014 if I remember correctly. In a couple of years (2 years if I remember correctly, A5.20 and A5.28 are going away).

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2015 04:28
Thank you Al, obviously the OP needs to chime in here and give "the rest of the story". Once he has clarified this maybe I can overcome some of my confusion. As to the E71TG-G the Lincoln website that I pulled the quote from did give the explanation of what both of the "G's" referred to, one referencing "general" with regard to replacement of a number in the designation of general usability classification and the second "G" is a general alloy suffix classification. Definitely not in my "common" knowledge category. I'll be waiting to see how this plays out. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-18-2015 11:59
A few years back we had a similar question in this forum and I chimed in that some manufacturers of electrodes used the 'G' to mean gasless.  Boy did I open a can of worms.  Bottom line is there is a big difference, as has been mentioned, from what AWS requires for marking, what manufactures can use for some descriptions and 'model' identifiers separate from the actual classification of the electrode, and how suppliers, welders, and inspectors describe a particular electrode.

But, once again, we do indeed need much more information than currently at our disposal to form intelligent opinions, comments and responses to the OP. 

Possible typos can also make life interesting as well.  And we just don't know at this point. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-18-2015 04:13
I saw that e71tg-g on the Lincoln site too.  Doesn't make sense.  I believe it is a typo and was supposed to be e71t-g.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 01-18-2015 20:42
After more looking at the Lincoln website, I doubt it is a typo.  I am not familiar with any differences that may be used in the AWS numbering system for low alloy FCAW electrodes as opposed to mild steel FCAW electrodes.  I see I have more to learn on this.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-18-2015 04:18
Regardless of what any code may allow, if the welders haven't aren't already known to be completely competent with e71t-8 electrodes, I would give them plenty of practice and testing before turning them loose on production work.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2015 04:43
Hello Blaster, I jumped in a bit quick here most likely. I am "definitely" not well versed in code interpretation and application and most of what I believe that I do know has been from listening and absorbing information shared by others. At this point in time, I hold thoughts similar to what I believe you are eluding to in your reply.

I have never believed that flux-cored gas-shielded electrodes should allow/replace the allowance for welding with flux-cored self-shielded electrodes under the same certification process. In a similar vein, I also do not believe that there is any sort of comparison for welding with non-seismic wires of any number of types when compared to seismic type wires. In my estimation they are just too different in how they react and the skills/techniques to properly employ them. I know that there has been a change in some of how this works and in particular through the implementation of AWS D1.8. But even these changes incorporate a lot more interchangeability than they should by my estimation. Of course I am a little fish in a big ocean where this all comes to be decided. Best regards, Allan
- - By rdavid1962 (*) Date 01-18-2015 18:32
Sorry for all of the confusion guys to be honest I am a little confused myself now. We are starting a job and someone order Coreshield 8. Well, after speaking with several people about that wire it was agreed to change to Lincoln 212. We qualified the welders on 212 with the Prequalified WPS. The question is can they still run the Corehield 8? In table 3.1 they seem to be under different classifications to me which in Table 3.8 (5) is on of the variables.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2015 19:15
Hello rdavid1962, are you welding in the field and what sorts of items are you welding on? I can see a self-shielded wire choice if this is in an outdoor setting and the work suits the self-shielded, 3/4" thickness limitation. Even with that said, the classification of the NR 212, in my view, is at the lower end of the capability and performance spectrum, it also has a 3/4" thickness limitation. Here again, use of this particular electrode for certification doesn't limit the welder to only using this particular wire and they can use others. The one caveat to qualifying with this though would be: not qualifying for unlimited thickness certification of the welder since this electrode does have the 3/4" thickness limitation. Does your work exceed 3/4" in thickness?

Had you qualified them on Coreshield 8 you would have been able to allow them to weld with essentially any FCAW wire, both self-shielded and gas-shielded. Also, depending upon the test that was administered, they could have possibly been qualified for varying degrees of seismic application welding. I am making assumptions again and if you can supply more information in your response it is likely that myself and more so others will be able to better address your questions. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-20-2015 16:55
The NR212 is NOT a prequalified filler metal, even if the WPS covers prequalified joints.

To use NR212 and be D1.1 compliant the WPS would need to be qualified by testing per Clause 4.

Al mentioned this above, but it appears your production is moving forward with non-compliant procedures.

FYI
- - By Dualie (***) Date 01-18-2015 22:29
as per ASME B30  No repair is allowed on hooks used for overhead lifting.    if i recall correctly.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-19-2015 00:26
Hello Dualie, are you possibly responding to a different post than this one? Don't get me wrong, I am known for doing similar things all the time! Best regards, Allan
- - By Dualie (***) Date 01-20-2015 02:10
yes i was,

sorry
Parent - By rdavid1962 (*) Date 01-20-2015 15:31
Yes the welding will be done outdoors and the 3/4" limitation is not a problem. Thanks for the help guys, sorry for all of the confusion I was not clear about things.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Wire Qualification