Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is OxyAcetylene dead?
- - By Dave C (*) Date 03-24-2003 12:23
Other than for cutting, do you guys ever pick up a torch any more?

I started welding 30 years ago with AC Arc. Worked great for 1/8" and up, but tended to burn through on light gage metal. Bought a torch setup but found it made too much heat, which warped sheetmetal.

Now that I have MIG, I dunno what the gas welder would be good for, except brazing and cutting and heating stuck bolts. Is that it?
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-24-2003 12:36
We use a torch everyday for cutting, washing, brazing and striaghtening.
While I was in the Navy, I used a torch everyday for brazing copper nickel pipe.
I have a friend in New orleans whoe uses OAW for welding hot taps on natural gas mains.
Allthough acetelyne use is decreasing, it's not because of lack of applications, it's because most shops are switching to alternatives such as MAPP and Propelyne for a cost savings.
Tim
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-25-2003 01:45
One of the tasks I performed that received the greatest amount of thanks from the crew of a submarine was Oxy Acet welding of a frame that held the ice cream machine in place. The boat was fired up and ready to go and once everything was fired up, running welding leads in the area couldn't be done. With an emergency OXY ACET setup and some ER-70S2 I welded the angle iron frame together.

That has been the only oxy acet welding I have done since 12th grade. The process is nice, very few sparks, no spatter, doesn't blind those around you. I prefer oxy acet for cast iron repair in most cases but I haven't tried the newer cast iron rods.

Another task you can perform with oxyacet is the removal of seized bearing races from shafts without damaging the shaft. A large tip and oxidizing flame will rapidly heat the thinner race to an oxidizing temp and then the extra oxygen will cut it away. This method is also used to remove expanded boiler tubes from steam/mud drums.

Have a good day

G Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - By jerry1041 (*) Date 03-26-2003 03:31
Us old timers would not be without one!
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-27-2003 04:29
I thought Dee would appear here. I still OA weld a little. Nice for small things when you don't want to add a lot of filler. You can build up small items (use old bed springs as filler and get reasonable wear resistance). Artists use it a lot to assemble and color metal. Solder copper pipe, braze, heat bolts, reforge the edge of a chisel and then heat treat it and on and on. This old timer would feel deprived if there wasn't a torch around.
Bill
Parent - - By DavidP66 (*) Date 04-04-2003 12:39
When i started welding 5 years ago...all the way up until now...all i used was an oxy/acyt. rig...i never saw plasma until a few months ago...ya..it cuts nice and quick...but its expensive...requires a powersource...

I dont think its a process that will ever die...you can use it anywhere and at any time...like stick welding...both have been "tried to be replaced" with more new, high tech stuff...

everything has its place in the welding world...but stick welding and oxy/acyt. outfits will never go away...you can use both anywhere and get the job done on most metals
Parent - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-04-2003 12:47
And it seems like plasma cutters are only effective up to a certain depth? I imagine if you want to cut some 1/4" plate you won't be using the $900 version!

I think I'm going to pick up a little tote size O/A set for myself.
Parent - By zmoz Date 04-05-2003 06:51
It still has it's place, certain situations there is nothing better. Problem is most of the time there are much better, easier, and quicker ways to weld....
Parent - By dee (***) Date 04-06-2003 23:15
Dave,
I've been out of town for past several weeks, but I'm back. As Bill noted, you can be sure I'd want to be counted as a torch welder.

I find the safety gear more comfortable in hot weather, I have no need for a power supply and thus avoid various electrical hazard issues, I enjoy convenient portability, I can weld with (as previously suggested by use of spring steel) a variety of expedient fillers including coat-hanger or other wire, pieces hacked off the weldment and formed to suit, or even no filler at all.

Oils, paints, platings, rust and other contaminants are conveniently cleaned off with the same torch... its a nice tool, its versitility goes on and on, but it cannot match the production rate of GMAW or, I guess, a lot of other processes presently more in style or better favored.
A final point, about economy, is an occasionally overlooked detail... time (labor) is usually the most expensive commodity in your weld, at least it's much more so than fuel, gas, or any filler I've ever heard of (although in that area I'm not that well versed)... and convenience does translate into $$$ depending on how you set up your shop... but also the superior heat output of the oxyacetylene flame gives in more versitility as well as (in some cases) better "raw" economy and justifies a bit of concious thought if you are deciding on a fuel.

I could dribble on and on but won't

Regards,
D
Parent - By brande (***) Date 04-18-2003 05:37
A local natural gas company still does all 2" and less connections with gas welding. Every welder there has to qualify once a year. Some of them are very good. Some are not.

Many of these connections are welded with arc when the boss is not around.

Anyway, I think when all the older welders, now in positions to dictate code, retire-you will find the smaller diameters welded with arc.

FWIW,-

Good Luck

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is OxyAcetylene dead?