Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shielding gas for GTAW
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 02-05-2015 16:41
I have been asked many times why the Ar/CO2 mix that works so well for GMAW/FCAW does not work with GTAW. From my observations of experimenting with it, it appears to leave a great deal of carbon surrounding the weld and some porosity. I have a theory that due to the heat of the arc being hotter than the GMAW arc, the CO2 is being broken apart leaving us with C and O2, both of which we do not want in the weld pool. If I am wrong with this can you guys give me your input as to why we can't use that gas for GTAW shielding? I'm quite sure Al knows why, and possibly many more of the knowledgeable metal masters on here as well.  Thanks guys.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2015 17:08
Check out this thread from a similar discussion earlier on this forum:

https://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=248399;hl=active%20reactive

But overall you are in the right direction, it has to do with your gases being reactive and not playing well with others.  Argon by itself is not reactive, plays well with others.  Especially when it comes to GTAW.  With other processes there are other factors at work that bring the other elements into play.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-05-2015 17:15
This may help when looking at how inert vs active gasses impact a welding arc.  And also to help understand why GTAW "typically" requires an inert gas while many GMAW procedures require an added active gas.
http://www.aws.org/w/a/wj/2002/09/feature1/

Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2015 18:05
Man, leave it to Lawrence to pull an ancient article out of the archives to explain the differences.  But a good read at that.

Thanks from me Lawrence.  Good stuff.

Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-05-2015 17:36
Hello jsdwelder, think in terms of the "electrode", with GTAW it needs to be shielded in such a manner that it isn't reactive with anything while it is conducting current or it will erode, contaminate, and not do it's job properly(hence the reason for using Argon, Helium, or a mixture of the two "inert" gases). The tungsten electrode has alloying properties that aid in applications to improve performance on the various alloys being welded. With the wire processes you are using the wire as an electrode and melting it to become part of the weld pool. You want some reactivity there to promote wetting of the toes, providing for the correct transitional currents to promote the particular transfer mode that you are trying to achieve and a few other things. Just my $.02 to add to the conversation. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 02-07-2015 21:58
As always, the place to come for all your answers. Thanks guys.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shielding gas for GTAW