Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ANSI 45.2.6 Qualifications
- - By supermoto (***) Date 02-05-2015 22:22
So I'm new to any ASME work and qualifications and have been trying to get into doing outages for Duke Energy through a contract company or getting in directly with no luck whatsoever.  I was in contact with an individual for recruiting NDE/NDT personnel for a company which has the contract to do outage work for Duke.  I was asked if I have been certified to ANSI 45.2.6 and told them I'm not familiar with the qualifications but have been a Level II in multiple methods for a few years with nuclear experience and qualified to SNT-TC-1A.  The recruiter informed me the QC manager said I needed to have a previous certification qualified to ANSI 45.2.6. 

After looking up the standard I explained to the individual in ANSI 45.2.6 it states, "personnel who perform inspection, examination, or testing in accordance with ASNT Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A, since these personnel are certified in accordance with the requirements of SNT-TC-1A and its applicable supplements."  I'm sure this may have changed as I have an old copy, maybe someone can enlighten me on a newer version or if I'm incorrect by stating this.  I read a similar post on here and it sounds like I am correct by stating this.

Even after the QC manager had supposedly reviewed my qualifications and previous certifications I was told I still need to be certified to ANSI 45.2.6.  Am I incorrect or just dealing with people who don't want me or people who don't know how to interpret codes and standards?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2015 16:51
Remember the 10%-80%-10% rule. Unfortunately, you are dealing with the lower 10% of the population. We have a cure for illiteracy, but there ain't no cure for stupid. Unfortunately, there is a weak correlation between an advanced degree and intelligence.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 02-10-2015 17:02
Well that's good to know.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-10-2015 19:02
To show the consistency of Al's principle of 10-80-10 I'll share a similar experience to what you are currently facing:

I got a phone call a couple of years back by an inspections agency that I do work with.  They bid the bigger jobs, get the package and sub-contract any welding inspections to me.  They specialize in other areas and can't afford their own full time CWI (good for me). 

So, their question: Are you certified to AISC?  I asked 'To what?'  'AISC.  Specifically, do you have an AISC W3 certification?'

Now, I know AISC has programs for qualifying shops to differing work and codes, bridge, structural, etc.  But, inspectors!!   Never heard of it.  Told them so. 

So, I'm going through my AISC Construction Manual (360) like crazy trying to figure out what on earth they are talking about.  Not finding anything.  While I'm looking he calls back, 'AISC 341, W3.'  Okay, now this is at least taking me somewhere.  So I grab my SDM (Seismic Design Manual) from 2005 (remember this was back a bit).  Find my way to Appendix 'W' and there at W3 is Personnel.  W3.2 is for QA Inspectors and states that they must be WI or SWI as defined by AWS B5.1 

So, I call them and say that's what I have.  He says, 'no, you have AWS/CWI.'  I said, 'Yes, but you have to read the applicable section that the engineers note takes you to and see that they want CWI's through the specs of B5.1 which are the specs and then you are tested to QC1 for the qualification of being a CWI.'  He couldn't get it.  Asks me, 'so, can you get certified through them pretty soon?  If not, we'll have to find someone else.' 

:confused:  Go ahead, find someone else. 

Well, I did get the job.  But it still took quite a meeting with me bringing in all my specification books and linking the whole chain of paragraphs so they could see that my CWI was exactly what the engineer wanted.  And he did no one any favors by calling out the inspector qualifications like he did.  And yet his request was accurate. 

It's all in the wording in the Contract Documents and the applicable code. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2015 20:15
The bottom line is the Engineer didn't specify either a CWI or SCWI. He was simply looking for someone that was a welding inspector or senior welding inspector. They could have been qualified per B5.1 and certified by their employer.

There you go Brent; you were over qualified!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 02-10-2015 21:21
Craziness. I pride myself on trying to be technically correct in every aspect at work and have been burned many times because someone who projected themselves as more experienced and more knowledgable than myself made me look like an idiot. I've learn to question just about everything and look for it in writing and interpret it myself as best I can to help prevent scenarios like these.  If I'm incorrect I really do appreciate any and all constructive criticism to help educate me and making me better at my job and so I can pass that knowledge onto the next person.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-11-2015 03:14
See, therein lies part of the problem.  The terms used are generally 'technically' correct.  It is the application and making sure all parties involved understand the applicable application and how the specifications and codes all work together. 

Even most who have passed the CWI exam do not know how B5.1, QC1, work together and then combine with D1.1 and others that tell all parties how, what, who is qualified as an inspector.  Then, go look at IBC Section 17 'Special Inspections' and AISC both 360 and 341 and see what they call out for inspectors and what they are to be qualified to and if they MUST be certified or not. 

As Al stated, did they actually require a 'Certified' inspector or just someone qualified by experience, knowledge, and training?  Most people don't realize the requirements laid out for Special Inspectors, usually also the ones termed 'TPI', and that they are to be Certified as AWS/CWI's according to IBC in Section 17.  The escape clause from D1.1 doesn't apply.  And this is adopted as law within almost every jurisdiction in the US. 

It is always a matter of jurisdiction and ALL applicable codes.  The 'craziness' as you called it comes from too many parties who have not been totally trained in the use of all the applicable codes and how they work together.  They really do compliment each other when used correctly.  But there is great misunderstanding.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 02-20-2015 02:03
There are many codes and standards that referenced materials which compliment each other and you are correct many people including CWI's, Level IIIs, Quality Managers, etc. who don't know this, but somehow they seem to cruise through their careers without any hitch.  I try and learn something new everyday especially on this aspect and trying to go further than just welding inspection.  Being a welder, becoming a Level II, and CWI is just the start, I am always wanting more and trying to be better than just cruising through my career.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ANSI 45.2.6 Qualifications