Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Gaussmeter recommendations
- - By rmdrmd15 (**) Date 02-11-2015 20:58
I am looking for recommendations for a gaussmeter.  I am trying to narrow down how much our welding process or grinding process may be leaving part partically magnetized, or if the parts are coming in from the supplier with some minimum magnetivity.  ANy recommendations?  I don't want to break the bank.  Really down want to go over $500.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-11-2015 21:22
Man, send me the $500 and I will get you one!!  Might even send you a second one because I like you so much  :lol: .

Now, seriously, go here: http://www.parkerndt.com/mg25.htm     and check out meters.  Since you are only looking for partial/low level residual magnetism I would say either the 5 or 10 would be sufficient.  It should be less than 3 to be of no effect if I remember correctly. 

You should not need the calibration certification for your purposes but if you want it you can still get the gauge and certs with shipping for less than $300. 

There are probably other outfits even cheaper.  You might try NDTsupply as well. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 02-11-2015 22:36
I've got a Extech instruments 480823, electromagnetic field meter that I use.  Had it for numerous years, but if memory serves me correct was about $100, will tell you gauss and tesla.
Parent - By E S Thompson Date 02-13-2015 02:02
Go and look on Amazon they have several, a bunch for under $100.00. The one by MAC, bottom of the first page, is a good one. I used one for several years and we had them sent in annually (I believe) for calibration. Hope this helps.

Eric
- - By Dualie (***) Date 02-12-2015 03:27
I have an APP on my smart phone, isn't calibrated an doesn't come with certs but it works decent enough for testing the stuff i have been curious about.
Parent - - By rmdrmd15 (**) Date 02-12-2015 11:41
An App?  What's the App and does it cost anything?  What kind of phone are you using it on?
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 02-14-2015 22:52
the app is called Measures  by skypaw, it was a small feel if i recall under $10  and I'm running it on an iphone 5S through apple app store, they are calling it a teslameter now that i looked at it i think its not the same thing as gauss even though they use the magnet icon for it.   apologies.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Gaussmeter recommendations