Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Copper Pipe Procedure Qualificaion (Fillet)
- - By pipes (**) Date 02-18-2015 14:39 Edited 02-18-2015 15:12
So, I am doing some experimental welding for a company that I work frequently with. They do a significant amount of torch brazing for refrigeration and med gas. If you have ever done or witnessed torch brazing a 3 or 4" copper joint you know the insane amount of time and acetylene required to do this. That got me thinking why not use GTAW ? This company also employs a bunch of very proficient, qualified GTAW welders.
I've welded copper plenty of times with fantastic results both autogenously and with filler so I put together a typical copper socket joint and tried it. A 2" weld took me less than a minute and the structural integrity of the copper was much better than brazing. So I started looking in ASME Section IX at fillet welding procedure and performance qualifications (100% of the welding done would be fillet so no need to do a groove test to qualify for fillet).
Here's my question:

QW-462.4(d) Shows the test required for a pipe to pipe fillet weld. It requires a macro etch. I've performed macro etching plenty of times but never on anything as thin as .060" thickness (2" copper type L) How well would that work on something that thin? Would you be able to really see anything? Has anybody ever etched something so thin?

Am I looking at this incorrectly? Suggestions?
This is completely experimental on my part as I believe this could be an interesting alternative to brazing large diameter copper.

Thanks! -JJ
Parent - By k-maes Date 03-12-2015 14:41
I am not sure about copper but, as for the thickness questioned I deal with stainless tubing exclusively in 1.5mm and less. For both GTAW and GMAW I can give you a definite answer about being able to "read" a macro-etch. Yes, you absolutely can read (effectively) the macro-etch of a given weld section as long as the polish is good enough. I go to 1000grit and I can see plenty.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Copper Pipe Procedure Qualificaion (Fillet)