Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Job opportunity, Ca
- - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 02-18-2015 14:51
Anyone out there know of any Job opportunities/contacts in the Barstow Ca. area for a new welder.
My son was an apprentice carpenter Local 1 in Chicago for 3 yrs and as everyone knows construction took a major hit and slowed (no contacts, no work) down decided to moved to Cali. I must admit a very hard worker....
So he decided that he want's to be a welder. Makes me proud...So he enrolled in the local college Welding program in Barstow and is trying to get restated in a new career. Just trying too help the kid out...
Dropped some resumes with no luck...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-18-2015 16:07
While Barstow isn't a hole in the wall, it sure isn't a booming metropolis either.  Hard to find welding jobs around there.  I'll see if some of my S. CA relatives, who used to live in Barstow, can make any suggestions.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 02-18-2015 19:25
Ha-Ha
I was stationed in the Barstow area in the early 80's worked at the repair division at the Marine base in Yermo just outside of Barstow. I was the only Marine Corps welder working in a shop of 60 + welders all civilian.
Went from M-60 Tank crewman and got into welding that's another story....Quite frankly, It worked out well for me got 5 weld certifications from the government, local 597 pipefitter, etc Chicago area....Currently an Engineer, still involved on the welding side of things.
My son is smart left the frozen tundra of Chicago to go live with his mom other than living in a non-booming area, Desert to say the least. it's a trade-off I guess.

Brent - Any help is appreciated.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-18-2015 20:27
Early 80's?  There was a mobile truck repair service out of Barstow... can't remember what he called it.. it was my brother-in-law, Ernie Bankston.  Did portable welding also.  We did work at George, 29 Palms, and other military installations.  Moved to LA and became Gemini Mechanical about 1990.  

I know there are things there, just not as much as in other areas.

I'll see what I can find out.

Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2015 21:01
I worked on SEGS III (Solar Electric Generator Station) just north of Kramer Jnct. in the mid 80s. Hyws 58 and 395 by Boron.
There might be rehab work there, plus supporting the military in civilian mode might be an option.
You're always limited in this business if you don't commute a bit... or "boom out".
Parent - - By josephd (*) Date 03-09-2015 17:25
Dont know if you are still looking, Barstow Army Depot has lots of welders, hard to get in but worth it as a great government job if you get in. you need to go to depot and find out what the procedure is and follow up every month for 12 month and I garrantee you will land a job. they have some great welders, apply for any oppening and take it even sweeping the floors, then transfer to weld shop, they like to see you have armor welding experience.
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 03-09-2015 20:17
Thanks - Any help is appreciated.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Job opportunity, Ca