Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 4140 to A572 Gr B
- - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 02-18-2015 15:09
I was charged with welding 4140 to A572 Gr B and would like to pick your brains. The 4140 is 12" bar approx 38.75" long and the A572 is 3" thick with 2" gussets. This piece will see 1.2 million lbs of force in both directions and was VERY, VERY expensive to make. The prints show "PREHEAT FOR WELDING, USE SUITABLE FILLER WIRE FOR 4140, CONTROL COOL DOWN WITH THERMAL BLANKET"
No specific WPS provided but I "borrowed" some from someone else to use as a guideline. From what I can see the recommended filler is ER70S-6 or E7018 with a preheat of 400-700 deg F. So I calculated the CE and came up with .77-.80 approx depending on the values one inputs, which puts me in the 600-700 deg F range. I have ran this through several friends, most of which are CWI's and the general answer is pre-heat to 400 min and keep interpass at 700 with a 50 deg F a hour cool off rate. We are weighing out the options of flame heating and control verses heat induction, which we have used before.

I will be performing a PQR and WPS for this particular weldment and am working with the testing lab as we speak. As that progresses I will update everyone here. We will be using AWS D1.1 as our standard as well.

My experience with 4140 is small parts that have never seen this kind of loading before. I am not nervous to tackle this project but want all the help I can get. Anyone want to chime in with thoughts or experiences?
-Jonathan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-18-2015 15:58
Hello Johathan, my simple suggestion is to have the owner/buyer of this product provide you with all of the necessary welding information. You don't need the liability of being the one who decided on your welding path and especially if it goes south for any reason. Maybe I'm not seeing this clearly, but that's my take on it. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 02-18-2015 16:12
Allan,
Thanks for the reply! I re-read my post and I was not very clear of ownership. This is for us as a company. We do R&D and that is one reason we have no WPS and one was not provided. The Design Engineer and most of us here, including my boss, are familiar with welding similar weldments but this will be the first time we have actually done this in our company.
-Jonathan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-18-2015 16:50
Thanks for the clarification Johnathan, that makes sense. Do you have any access to any of these materials that you could do a mock-up with? Certainly, might pay-off in the long run, considering that these parts are so expensive. What you have included in your post essentially sounds correct, although my personal preference for process and filler metal would learn towards the E7018-1 SMAW. I would only say that you may wish to employ an induction heating system which allows for very exact preheat and temperature control and carefully monitor your interpass temperatures between weld passes. As to the slow cool down, there is a material that looks similar to regular insulation, it is white in color(at least the stuff I have worked with) and is called "k-o-wool"(I probably spelled that wrong). this is an amazing material and is really great at retaining heat, providing a barrier to heat while welding, and aiding with slow cool downs. Using it will provide for a nice long cool-down. I've used it on extrusion press blocks that were 2' thick x 6' tall x 5' wide with good results, we were running between 550 to 600 degrees of preheat. My $.02 to contribute to the conversation. Best of luck on your project and definitely do as much research as time allows to nail down the needed parameters to pull this off. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-18-2015 17:31
Hello again Johnathan, here are some photos from the work that I was describing in the previous post. This was from a couple years back. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 02-18-2015 17:49
Allan,
very informative post - and enjoyable images.
Nice job.
Thank you for sharing.

Kind regards.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-18-2015 18:17
Thanks electrode, I am fortunate to get in on some interesting work at times. Essentially 24 hours a day for roughly 6 days. Certainly a learning moment. Regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-18-2015 17:46
Here is a preheat chart scanned out of Volume 4, 7th edition, AWS welding handbook...this suggests a min preheat and interpass temp. of 500F for 1.1" to 2" in thickness
Attachment: Scan4655.pdf (144k)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2015 18:57 Edited 02-18-2015 19:03
4140 especially in heavy members is VERY sensitive and will easily crack (underbead) if weld bead placement/sequencing is not controlled.
I lost the procedures years ago... but this would give a good place to start if I were assigned to the task.
The configuration was a 2" thk. 36" dia. outer sleeve over a set of "J" slots in a 32"(?)O.D. X 2" thk inner sleeve.
Any ways, to join the two was a 45° double bevel on both ends which we preheated to 600°F (-0 + 75°max innerpass), welded with 12018C1 SMAW. The preheat was facilitated by heating the outer sleeve to to 600 while inner sleeve was left at ambient so thermal expansion would allow "marrying" of the two cylindrical parts. The screaming/screeching sound of the two parts (about 1 ton total weight) was blood curdling.
Post welding it was wrapped in asbestos (yes we used that stuff in the '70s...) and since I was not in charge of stress relief, I do not remember the post weld treatment specifications.
And similar to your device, this "Lifting device" was rated in excess of 1 million pounds capacity.

Additionally, I would recommend a 1-2 day delay for NDE (UT) prior to PWHT.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-18-2015 19:13
Hello John, that definitely sounds like it was a challenge and a VERY interesting job. Were both parts 4140? I would believe that if that were the case that you would see a much greater need for restraint and shrinkage allowance/control. In a weird sense like trying to weld cast iron parts together. Thanks for sharing. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2015 21:46
Yes Allan, both were 4140.
The "Shop" had added it's own peening process to the procedure due to the cracking issues. Not sure if the restraint of the interference fitting of the two pieces was as much an issue as the difficulty of maintaining even heat with the unbalanced expansion and contraction.
Since it was not in the official procedure, welders were not penalised for not peening. However Gouging out, grinding and rewelding cracks made us BIG fans of the recommended peening.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2015 19:37
Another thought on this is the "old school" approach to matching filler material with the so called superior alloy.
Experience has taught me that since filler metals are above and beyond the minimum, when mating different materials one should consider something "in between".
Just my unscientific opinion...
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-19-2015 08:44 Edited 02-19-2015 09:05
Okay, this is what I found in the Welding Tips and Tricks forum and it's attached to this post for this thread... And then someone attempted to "clarify" what was which...

Quote: "Otto Nobedder wrote:So, for clarity, item "1" is the 4140 bar, item "3" is the A573 plate, and items "2" are the gussets, presumably also A573? When I attached the first drawing, items 1 thru 4 were showing but in the other forum one could only see items 1 & 2 so that might have been the reason why there may have been some confusion in your initial post over in the other forum...:eek::grin::lol::wink:

Here's the link to what I'm referring to:    http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6965

Now, talking about what filler metal to use for this project, have you considered an 80T-1B something if you're going to use FCAW as your process? with an H4 suffix for low hydrogen instead? And one that has just a "tinch" of Ni for extra toughness, besides the low Mo already in an 80 FCAW spool of filler metal or even a 90 wouldn't hurt either? If you can find one with just a speckle of Cr would probably be okay also... Unless you're aiming to go GMAW all the way... If that's the case and all of the welding will be deposited in the flat & horizontal position, might I suggest a Metal cored filler metal for production, even though I know that this particular project is only an experiment... In any event, I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 02-19-2015 12:39
I can't thank you guys enough for all the help on this particular problem. I appreciate the knowledge and willingness to help here on the AWS forum. This is the place to get these technical questions answered for sure. To try and answer some of the replies, (and as I can remember everyone's posts) is sounds like we are on the right track indeed with our pre and post heat as well as interpass temp. We will in fact begin our test pieces to be sent out for destructive testing at 400-450* F pre-heat and 700* F interpass using .045 ER70S-6 and see what happens in a bend and tensile test. Again, I will report back our findings there when we get results (few weeks). The Design Engineer did the thermal conductivity ratings of various materials and settled on KWool as the best solution, needing approx 2" thick of it to be sufficient. I have not used Kwool specifically but have used similar products in the past. As for heat induction, we are still looking into that but still feel that will be the best solution. It does, however, have some challenges when it comes to wrapping the product in the heating cables but we will get that resolved.

As for the filler material(s), all out WPS' are with solid wire (for GMAW) and this is what our company prefers over other fillers. We do have E7018 and the associated WPS' but will be choosing a solid wire for this application. I cannot argue some of the points presented as far as the low hydrogen content of flux and the efficiency of metal core but since our bosses don't care for the smoke and clean up, along with the fact that there is only one of these we will ever do, there would be no need to perform a WPS with another filler. I am working on WPS' with dual shield for A36 just to have when we need them though. I am trying to show them the advantages of other fillers as opposed to sticking with just ER70S-6 for most applications. Another reason the 70 series wire was selected is the A572 is a 50ksi material thus the 70 series wire exceeds the strength requirements. If you truly feel this is the incorrect filler I will be open to discussing that further.

And last, for the moment, Henry, on the Welding Tips and Tricks Forum you mentioned you can only see items 1 and 2. If you click on the picture it will expand it so you can see the whole image you can see here.:eek: :red::lol::lol: I appreciate you sharing the link and pics here with everyone. I wanted to do the same but didn't get to it.

Now on to getting the testing of the 4140 to A572 Gr B done and see what happens there. Again, I say thank you to everyone who has contributes thus far and will be sharing this link with everyone involved, especially as it is updated.
-Jonathan
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-19-2015 14:52
I believe most of us are on the same wave length regarding this little project.

You didn't mention the joint details.

A couple more words of advice can't hurt.

I suggest heating the components in an oven to ensure a slow soaking heat is used to bring the members up to the minimum preheat temperature. Due to the thickness of the components you should use the higher preheat, as mentioned 600 to 700 degrees F is what I would shoot for.

You are using solid bare electrode with the GMAW process, so you are minimizing the potential for introducing hydrogen into the HAZ. That's a smart move. However, you didn't tell us the details of the weld joint. I assume you are using CJP groove welds. That being the case, you could consider a two step procedure where the 4140 is welded with a 1/2 inch thick "butter layer" and then tempered (1100 degrees F) to ensure any martensite in the HAZ is tempered before welding it to the A572. Using this approach, the 4140 can be preheated, the butter layer deposited, and then the interpass maintained at 350 degrees F while welding to the A572.

One other word of caution; use a filler metal with a medium amount of deoxidizer. You will be using an argon carbon dioxide or argon oxygen mix for the shielding gas while in the spray transfer mode, so enough deoxidizer is needed to prevent porosity, but any deoxidizer not utilized for that purpose will increase the alloy content of the weld deposit and increase the potential for cracking problems. 

The completed weld should be stress relieved at 1200 degrees F as soon as the weld is completed and allowed to cool to ambient temperature. The time at temperature is going to be rather long due to the thickness of the members being welded.

I've used similar techniques to weld high CE materials to low CE materials with darn good success.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 02-19-2015 18:48 Edited 02-19-2015 19:46
Al,
You are correct, more advice never hurts. I agree with the slow soaking of the parts. Likely, if we go the heat induction route anyway, we will either come in early the day of the welding or program the heat induction unit to slowly ramp the heat over night so we are ready to go in the morning.

I also agree with your points on the solid bare wire for the welding. The joints are PJP and only 1/2" but it will be welded solid everywhere. I posted a pic of he actual piece to help clarify this.

I do have a few specific questions. You mentioned the 600-700 degrees F is what we should shoot for but then later said to keep interpass around 350 degrees F. What is the reasoning behind your thinking? Wouldn't we want to keep it between the 600-700 degrees F?

Next, you mentioned a medium amount of deoxidizer in the wire. Currently we are using Lincoln L-59 ER70S-6. Are you suggestion then we step down to a ER70S-3 wire??? I think I am following your reasoning but want to clarify both for me and those who might read this thread in the future.

As for the stress relieving, I have not discussed this with the Design Engineer as of yet so I will have to get back to everyone on that one. Thanks again for your insight.
-Jonathan
Attachment: image.jpg (333k)
Attachment: image-1.jpg (369k)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-19-2015 20:04
Jonathan,
A couple more thoughts to keep in mind is how to maintain an evenly balanced interpass heat and proper weld bead sequencing to minimize the push/pull stresses and reduce cracking problems.
So far the soaking, buttering of the 4140 part, and bare wire filler are certainly good approaches to this.
What NDE is being considered? In process and or post welded? This can get complicated too in order to not violate interpass temps.

Sure hope the "sale price" will reflect all the R&D going into this.

Best of luck to you on this exciting project.
Parent - - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 02-20-2015 00:31
Our thoughts on welding sequence are two welders, one on each side with welding arcs back to back. Since these are not long runs and the gussets will be blocking the light, I believe this will be a good approach.

As for NDE, we will be doing a normal visual and die pen check for any cracking after 24 hours.

For the complete welding and heating of this part I have the cost study about done and will be presenting it tomorrow. Heat induction is the best solution, in my opinion, but it very cost prohibitive for the rental of the machine. I hope we use this as I don't want to stand there and use a flame to heat this chunck up!

The bad thing about this whole project is this is "just" a test bed for a machine we patented and built. We have to verify it will do what we say it will and this $300,000 225,000lb test bed will literally be set outside and who knows when, if ever, it will be used again. I technically can't share pics of the unit but I will try to get a few up for a general idea.
-Jonathan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-20-2015 04:30
Just a little something to add to your back-to-back arcs, stagger the arcs with relation to being across from one another. You may see some arc instability if they are directly across from one another. If you are already accustomed to this sort of thing, kindly disregard my comment. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 02-20-2015 12:22
I appreciate that Allan. We usually stagger the actual arc a inch or three just for that.
-Jonathan
Parent - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 03-26-2015 14:48
Well, I received approval for the qualification test and the material will be here tomorrow. This will be the most expensive test I have taken yet and am a little nervous about that aspect of it. Not nervous about the welding, which is good. I will post next week showing the progress as well as the ever important test results.
-Jonathan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 4140 to A572 Gr B