Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection rates in Southern California
- - By mdagg (*) Date 02-19-2015 14:21
I am amazed at how low the pay rates are for CWI contract work in SoCAl.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-19-2015 16:52
Considering how expensive it is to live there I cannot understand how they expect someone to live comfortably in LA on LESS or close to the same as what is offered at my location.
I have turned down very desireable positions/offers in venues I've dreamed of working in such as aerospace due to the low wages.
Parent - - By FinishLine (*) Date 03-30-2015 12:43
Are you asking what an employee hourly rate should be or a contract where you provide CWI work and carry the insurance etc.?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-31-2015 05:00
When I've worked in Cali (temp contract employee), it was about the same as anywhere. I just turned down contract CWI with a world famous staffing agency for the laughable sum of $35.00/hour. No per diem just turn in receipts for flight, rental car, meal and etc. for reimbursement. My experience is that EVERYTHING is more expensive there except for fresh fruits and veggies. Housing, taxes, car insurance (I pay $22.00/month for liability here) are out of my comfort range.
All the big companies are there and they make no concessions for localities when it comes to pay rates.
Disclaimer... I've not conducted business in LA since 2009 so things may have changed a bit. But at 35/hr to have to live there, I'd rather club a rabbit off my back deck at home and eat hoffenfeffer with potatoes here than try to find a safe neighborhood and deal with traffic.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-19-2015 17:56
I'd like to hear what you think are low wages.  Everyone I know loves to get CA jobs because of the rate of pay compared to AZ. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fsirk (*) Date 03-26-2015 21:18
Rates depend on who you work for.  Local 12 rates are somewhere around 42 or more per hour.  Prevailing wage is 60+ per hour (it's based on union wages, of course).  Many local non union companies will work a cwi for as little as they can get an inspector to agree to.  Sometimes as low as 27 an hour.  When the economy tanked cwi's were hosed around here and we have not 'recovered.'
- By MrJuls (*) Date 05-13-2015 13:44
When are they starting the desalination plant in California?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection rates in Southern California